Electric Ferrari

Someone rescued a fire damaged Ferrari 308 GTS from a junkyard and converted it to battery powered. The car was later sold at a Barrett-Jackson auction for $84,700.

What has me horrified is not the conversion of a Ferrari to battery power but guy who bought it at the auction is quoted in the CNN article as saying ""I didn't know that it was electric when I was bidding on it," he reveals." How can someone spend $87,000 on a car at an auction and NOT read the description in the catalog???

First electric Ferrari faster than original: 'It absolutely decimated it' - CNN

1978 FERRARI 308 GTS CUSTOM TARGA211200

This 100% electrified 1978 Ferrari 308GTS comes fresh off the Top Gear America track where is was run hard against a stock 1978 308 by The Stig, and set a blistering 10 second advantage on the 1.5-mile track. Electric GT comprehensively resto-converted this 308 around an all-electric drivetrain consisting of three HPEVS AC-51 motors in a V8 configuration driving the power into a 5-speed G50 Porsche transaxle and the limited-slip differential really hooks up the tires. [...]
(I added the bold formatting]

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
"What has me horrified is...guy who bought it at the auction is quoted in the CNN article as saying ""I didn't know that it was electric when I was bidding on it"..."

'Possible confirmation of the long-held assumption that many buyers at Barrett-Jackson are often 'three-sheets-to-the-wind'???

I'm curious about that Ferrari G50 gearbox the builder talks about. Could be another option for us builders!

This article says it's a Porsche G50 gearbox

Electric Ferrari 308 GTS gets Porsche gearbox. Blasphemy?

Interestingly, the electrified 308 GTS uses an adaption of Porsche’s G50 five-speed manual transmission featuring a flipped mid-engine orientation. Electric GT mentions a manual gearbox was selected to preserve the thrilling driving experience you would expect from a Ferrari. Why a Porsche unit? Because the engineers found it a more suitable 'box to better cope with the extra torque.

Back