Eric's SLC Project Code Name "Grifter"

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Great pics, looks like fun!

Did they actually let you enter the Ultimate Street Car Challenge? I thought kit cars were specifically disallowed.

Hey Eric, I'm glad to see that you ran in the Street Car Challenge I've often wondered if they would let a SLC compete. So how did you do?

Great pics, looks like fun!

Did they actually let you enter the Ultimate Street Car Challenge? I thought kit cars were specifically disallowed.

Hey Eric, I'm glad to see that you ran in the Street Car Challenge I've often wondered if they would let a SLC compete. So how did you do?

Thanks guys! They let me run, but in the "Exhibition" class.

Danny Popp even chatted me up a bit about it. He's won that entire event before so it was cool to get some face time with him.

The car is FAST. Like, fast fast. It's a WHOLE new animal. Even with the virtual snow tires I was running I ran some competitive times. Especially considering this is my first experience with a car like this. I really was not used to that much aero advantage, I ended up lifting in places I probably didn't need to.

I easily left 5-10 seconds on the track. I knew I could have braked later in almost every corner. It's insane! Love this car.

~Eric

Hey guys.... It's a long story but I have to put the car up for sale.

I had a nice discussion about it with Fran and life circumstances are leading me to focus on family and away from the car hobby in general.

People have asked why I'm selling so soon after finishing it and the short version is; I have to keep family first. I'm not a professional mechanic or builder and I don't earn my income through the automotive industry so all my extra free time was spent building. The car is great, its stupid fast and a lot of car, there's no doubt.

This car gets ALL the attention from everyone.

So, unfortunately, it is for sale.

$85k/bo

email allynwrench @ hotmail dot com

Than you have not been looking closely. He priced it perfectly since he is looking to sell it. Now if he was just looking to shut his significant other up and really didn't care about selling it than yes he should ask for more $.

I think that's a great price for an SLC. I'd also be asking more if you haven't put it up on eBay or autotrader yet. More like $95k or so. The car is complete, well documented, and ready as is.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Than you have not been looking closely. He priced it perfectly since he is looking to sell it. Now if he was just looking to shut his significant other up and really didn't care about selling it than yes he should ask for more $.

OK, Damian, since you're the world's expert on SLC prices, please fill in the rest of us on recent sales, with actual sale prices, of completed SLCs.

OK, Damian, since you're the world's expert on SLC prices, please fill in the rest of us on recent sales, with actual sale prices, of completed SLCs.

Just ignore him - he's one of those nutsuckers who believes a SLC/GTM/cobra/whatever shouldn't be sold for more than $20k.

That car has almost $130k into it without labor.
Both are beautiful cars that anyone would be lucky to own. I was merely comparing the prices from my perspective - but they are very different specs that will appeal to different people IMO. I hope that both get their full asking prices.

Unfortunately, spending more on a build virtually never transfers into the sales price. The SLC does look to achieve excellent resale values for a component car, but it will never be a way to make money IMO.

Last edited:
Both are beautiful cars that anyone would be lucky to own. I was merely comparing the prices from my perspective - but they are very different specs that will appeal to different people IMO. I hope that both get their full asking prices.

Unfortunately, spending more on a build virtually never transfers into the sales price. The SLC does look to achieve excellent resale values for a component car, but it will never be a way to make money IMO.

Roberto's car is on ebay for $175k and that doesn't represent his total labor, it's a beautiful car and worth it in my opinion. While you can build a car for under $100K there are a lot of builds on this site that are far more without labor. It's a good selling point to say that car can be built for $80k, and it can, but at the same time that hurts the guys that put far more than that into their car. I don't expect to get my labor back, but parts and paint would not be too much too expect. I think if these cars start to sell for more, they would separate themselves from the GTM's etc., and they should. I think the SLC chassis, design, and look is far beyond the others. I've taken it to 2 Cars & Coffee, one in Tucson, the other in Scottdale. While Tucson had a few nice cars, Scottsdale was the look WTF I'm driving show. Ferraris, McLarens, Lambos, Porsches, and most were new. My SLC had 20 to 30 people around it for the 3 1/2 hours I was there. Next to me was a new McLaren that had 20 people look at it the entire time. I don't think we should under sell our cars.

Well put Al. Any car in the $100k+ range is going to take awhile to sell, unless it is an highly under valued classic for investment. That is one problem with cars in this price range. There is lots of cars in that price range that can be money makers, and the SLC will stay pretty much within its range. People who have the cash to buy it, will typically be keen on investments, which does limit the customer base even a little further. Then, you get diyers like myself that are willing to take the time to build themselves.
I really think this is a hard car to sell online. When mine goes up, I plan to head to socal and arizona to the high end auctions. That way people can see the car in person to see build quality, and literally feel the exclusiveity and wow factor the car gives in person next to all of the other exotics.
That said, I know you want to sell quick Eric, but $99,500 seems to be more the price a quick sale could be had at.

Roberto's car is on ebay for $175k and that doesn't represent his total labor, it's a beautiful car and worth it in my opinion.
For component cars, the value to different people is often be wildly different, depending upon how close the specification is to what each buyer wants. There's a lot of room for individual preference in engine, gearbox, interior etc, and buyers tend to discount the price for things that they would change or didn't really want.
I don't expect to get my labor back, but parts and paint would not be too much too expect.
There's often the belief that a car (or any other asset) should be worth at least what someone has put into it, but the market doesn't always agree. It's only what buyers with the money in their pockets think that counts. I'm not a buyer at the moment, so genuinely hope that these cars sell for prices that everyone is happy with.
I think if these cars start to sell for more, they would separate themselves from the GTM's etc., and they should. I think the SLC chassis, design, and look is far beyond the others.
Agreed, although I've never classed the SLC anywhere near a GTM.
I don't think we should under sell our cars.
Part of the problem is that people see the kit price and are unrealistic about what it will cost in money and time to get the car that they want. Buyers that wouldn't build one themselves may pay more. We'll see what the market decides they're worth, if the sales prices are public.

Back