Eric's SLC Project Code Name "Grifter"

Rodger, Can I ask what kind of car you have or what you have built to give you an opinion about this? I built a Kirkham 427 and this SLC, I think of neither as a "kit" car. They don't use the usual Mustang donor parts, they are rollers with an unfinished body. I think the SLC is as complex a build as you will find. I sold my Kirkham for $110K in 2005. A German bought it and paid $125k with the brokers fee and another $15k for shipping and customs. Now Kirkham 427 rollers are $99k. This isn't a $20k kit.

Michael Fling

Supporter
Keep in mind that if I but a new Porsche today for $130, 2 years later it is worth $110. Cars depreciate. The SLC is awesome.... but there is no warranty and the base of potential customers is very small compared to production cars. I would never get into an SLC hoping to recover all my costs. I would never get into a Porsche expecting the same. Like it has been said, a car is worth what someone is willing to give for it. What is it worth.... compare prices on what other SLC's have sold for. That is the market.

I just sold my highly customized Suzuki m109r. I payed $7500 for it and I put another $6500 in it. A beautiful bike. How did I determine the value? I went to completed sales on eBay and looked at what others had sold for. It was $6000ish. Mine sold for $6400 to a guy who was looking for a m109r bagger. They are rare. I was hoping for more, but that just isn;t what the market said.

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

4 or 5 years ago I was at Barrett Jackson. There was a Ultima for sale at "No Reserve". Before the sale, it got a lot of attention. I spent some time with the builder as I was trying to determine what I wanted to build. He said he had about $65,000 in the car. He was hoping to get 80 ish. The car sold for $37ish if I remember right. He didn't recover is cost at all. What is it really worth? What ever someone is willing to pay for it.

It seems to me that Eric has it priced for a quick sale. I would hope he could get more and I wish him "good luck"!

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Eric - I'm sorry to see that you have to sell the car after putting so much time and effort into the build. That being said, it sounds like you are doing it for the right reasons. I wish you luck and hope you are able to get your asking price - it's all in finding the right buyer. I have no doubt the SLC draws attention wherever it goes, the question is how many of those folks are willing to open their wallet far enough to buy the car? Here's hoping you find one with a large enough wallet! Have you tried displaying it down at Cars and Coffee? Many of the people there obviously have more money than they know what to do with.....just a thought.

Regards,
Dave L

Eric gave me a ride in that car and it runs STRONG! You can definitely feel the extra HP in the ls3-525. I've got the 480hp and you can tell the difference. It wasnt that much louder and had a small amount more "lope". Honestly I think that lope was a better sound for the SL-C. Innocent bystanders looked even more confused

Eric gave me a ride in that car and it runs STRONG! You can definitely feel the extra HP in the ls3-525. I've got the 480hp and you can tell the difference. It wasnt that much louder and had a small amount more "lope". Honestly I think that lope was a better sound for the SL-C. Innocent bystanders looked even more confused

Haha thanks cam. I didn't even open it wide open like I did at Road America. Man it's a fun car. It's amazing how little horsepower you need to get this car scootin.

The one listed for 100+ the seller ISN'T IN A RUSH meaning that he really doesn't want to sell it but if someone pays HIS price than ya he will let it go. Now I agree that it a NEW BUILD for the most part and a LOT of time in it BUT IT HAS NOT SOLD!!! I don't think the SL-C is a 20K kit but I also know what he parts really cost and paying full retail for anything is for suckers even when dealing with Manuel labor (sole reason independent shops exist or else we would only go to dealers for work) so I question some of the estimates about $ per man hour factored in. These cars could have a billion dollars in them BUT with the used sales KNOWN 120K plus is NOT THE AVERAGE NOR REAL WORLD VALUE USED! People don't have to air their laundry out BUT we all know what the aspire cars really sold for as compared to what they were asking and you all thought those were reasonably priced, matter of fact lets see who has paid more than 110K for or more for a USED SL-C. Seems like a lot of builders who STILL OWN THEM claiming they are worth more while those that purchased in the second hand seem awfully quiet :thumbsup: . Again there are some exceptions and they are well deserved but they are exceptions non the less. Don't hate me hate for stating the obvious.

Really love it when someone who has never built a car and doesn't own one becomes an expert. What's that saying? "Opinions are like.............................

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
The one listed for 100+ the seller ISN'T IN A RUSH meaning that he really doesn't want to sell it but if someone pays HIS price than ya he will let it go. Now I agree that it a NEW BUILD for the most part and a LOT of time in it BUT IT HAS NOT SOLD!!! I don't think the SL-C is a 20K kit but I also know what he parts really cost and paying full retail for anything is for suckers even when dealing with Manuel labor (sole reason independent shops exist or else we would only go to dealers for work) so I question some of the estimates about $ per man hour factored in. These cars could have a billion dollars in them BUT with the used sales KNOWN 120K plus is NOT THE AVERAGE NOR REAL WORLD VALUE USED! People don't have to air their laundry out BUT we all know what the aspire cars really sold for as compared to what they were asking and you all thought those were reasonably priced, matter of fact lets see who has paid more than 110K for or more for a USED SL-C. Seems like a lot of builders who STILL OWN THEM claiming they are worth more while those that purchased in the second hand seem awfully quiet :thumbsup: . Again there are some exceptions and they are well deserved but they are exceptions non the less. Don't hate me hate for stating the obvious.

Again, please quote some actual sales #s for SLCs or STFU.

Eric it was great to see you get into this build, get it completed in pretty rapid order, and get it out on the road and track to do what it was made for. As with many home built cars, there are lots of them in progress or various stages of work, but not as many that get on the road.

It seems like your progress and a few others on here has sparked some of the older builds that were stalled out a bit to get going again and close to completion (I don't know that, I just noticed a few I'd seen not much happen on for awhile are suddenly underway after a few newer builders got them done).

It's too bad you have to let her go after just getting going with running in anger, but of course family has to come first. There will be a future project.

Eric it was great to see you get into this build, get it completed in pretty rapid order, and get it out on the road and track to do what it was made for. As with many home built cars, there are lots of them in progress or various stages of work, but not as many that get on the road.

It seems like your progress and a few others on here has sparked some of the older builds that were stalled out a bit to get going again and close to completion (I don't know that, I just noticed a few I'd seen not much happen on for awhile are suddenly underway after a few newer builders got them done).

It's too bad you have to let her go after just getting going with running in anger, but of course family has to come first. There will be a future project.

Thank you Tom, that means a lot, it really does.

The support I've gotten for putting family first and a priority has really been great.

Thank you again,

~Eric

Again, please quote some actual sales #s for SLCs or STFU.

Damian ... our resident nutsucker .... I'MA BUY AN SL-C!!!! (as soon as somebody will sell me theirs for $20k)<if somebody="" will="" sell="" me="" theirs="" for="" $20k=""></if>

Since you have your finger on the SLC beat, why still no proof of asking or sales prices? What did the Aspire cars really sell for? What about the Rapier cars?
The only time I see this type of attitude is someone wishing they could get into the car, so bad mouthing it to try to make it more affordable for yourself is pretty stupid. This is about the 25th car I have built, so step down off the soap box that you know what goes into a build like this.

Btw- about your comment before of me not searching around and am uninformed. I have spent 10 years researching prices and sales of the SLC, that is why I purchased it and am building one. It is one of the only cars you CAN get some of your labor back. Stop being a twat.

Sorry Eric for the rant, but it was needed. Possibly try consignment at a high end lot near you. I am sure they would bump to $100k+ though. But you would be infront of alot larger audience not to mention a more professional atmosphere for someone wanting to drop $100k on a car. Financing options may make it easier to sell also.
I plan to hit an auction or two, if nothing, it will go to a high end dealer in Hollywood or something! Lol. Some cracked up actor would buy it just to be different, and faster than his buddies Lambo's!

Back