F 5000, well sort of

Spent all day fabricating rear engine mounts and gear shift, thank god thats over with
gearshiftallsorrted_zps28bb2bc0.jpg

not a lot to show considering the effort, now i can make up and fit the rear top bulkhead support etc.
cheers John

not a lot to show considering the effort, now i can make up and fit the rear top bulkhead support etc.
cheers John[/QUOTE]

I was once told everything takes 3 days.
You have done linkages and mounts, thats 2 things and done in a day.
That means you are 5 days ahead John.
You have to just look at things differently.

Keep it up.

Jim

bugger, never thought of it like that, thanks Jim you've just made my day :thumbsup:

cheers John
ps dose that mean i can have tomorrow off
icon6.gif

Have made a bit of progress in the last week, Chris {Flatchat] was kind enough to get all my parts back to me in good time, thanks mate, so i was able to then assemble up the rear uprites and then modify the brake caliper brackets to take a Wilwood 4 pot caliper

4PotOutlawCaliperfittedtouprite_zpsac675255.jpg

once i had that under taken i then could dummy things up and get drive shaft length etc, so what i wound up with was a half shaft length of 15-1\2" so with the 14x15" wheels it will give me an over all width at the rear of 1850mm, 50mm wider than i was hopeing for, but its close enough that it will still go on a trailer, just.
I then got busy and mounted the plate that will hold the 2 gall dry sump tank, which i will lighten some what once the mounts arrive so i no where i can remove alloy, i then mounted the engine oil cooler and the catch can come breather

oilcoolerandbreatherdone_zps0085e4b5.jpg

The other little headache i had was the coil packs, they wouldnt go back on top of the rocker covers because of 1/ the injection trumpets were in the way and 2/ the exhaust was in the way as well, so what to do bar drilling a hole and fitting a dizzy, i came up with a solution while enjoying a coffee break this morning, hang them off the side of the chassis under the exhaust, all i had to do was remove them individualy from the mount plate and reverse them, then bolt them back on so the wiring is still stock and the coils are back in OEM position and i can still use stock leads..

rhsidefrontsusppickupsdone_zpsed936bd5.jpg

hopefully the sparky will appreciate my effort when he comes to wire it all up.
so its comming together slowly
cheers John

Hi John, you are making huge progress and looks really good, Your half shafts are going to have quite an angle on them with not being able to flip the trans so having them a bit longer will be a good thing. I remember Russell Keach having the same on his M8B and it doesn't seem to have been a problem for him. I love that injection' keep up the great work. Cheers Leon.

hey stranger hows everything going over there, yeh there will be a little angle on the shafts around 10-12 deg, but i have been assured by quite a few {experts] that the stock CV's will mandle up to 28 deg without an issue, as long as you use a good grease, [hi temp] so lets hope their right.
its coming together slowley, ive done a fair bit since the last post but nothing realy worth showing, you no how it is , just lots of little fiddly bits that always seem to crop up.
the mount brackets for the dry sump tank arrived today so i can get that on tomorrow
and hopefullly the rest of my weld in bungs for the suspension arms [i didnt order enough initialy] and some more rod ends wont be far away so i can finish the rear suspension then she can sit on wheels at last.
as long as she's ready for the Noosa Hill climb in Nov ill be happy.
cheers John

I'm going to be working in QLD for a little while, up in Chinchilla and Roma, I think we will be based in Toowoomba so If you give me your contact details maybe we will be able to catch up at some point. I had a rethink about my Transaxle and went back to the old wooden mock up, was doing some machining in the lathe on it and had a bit of a set back when I hit a hidden screw and the whole thing blew to bits in the chuck.
I have binned the whole thing and back to scratch, There was quite a few hours work in that mould, so now its back to the drawing board, Bugger :cry:
Hear from you later. cheers Leon

well I have managed to get a bit more done since I last posted, front bulkhead is all done and rack is mounted , dash is all sorted, body and seat mounted, and today I picked up a semi finished tank and sorted out where all the fittings and mounts will go, so I can drop that back tomorrow and they can finish it off, tomorrow ill finish off the rear A arms and then the rear suspension is all done as well.
a few pics,
dashdone_zps97e3f37c.jpg

frontbulkhead_zps1df3235f.jpg

lefthandfueltanktrialfit_zps2f0bc870.jpg

seatinplace_zps280fb6c1.jpg

lookinglikearacecar_zps4d5b35a6.jpg

as soon as the fuel tanks get back I can get all the plumbing done, then its wiring and make a noise.
watch this space
cheers John

I have booked the track test day for 1 month away.
I recon you will have it done John, no paint required.
That should take the pressure off.

I like this build because you get it done

Jim

Thanks Jim, I plod along, managed to finish the rear suspension today and strip out the rear wheel studs and fit longer ones as I had to get Chris to make me some spacers so the taper in the wheels would clear the calipers, so fit wheels tomorrow and measure rear track and hope like hell its where it should be..
cheers John

Hi John, I'm in Brisbane and may have some time to pop in if you are around. Give me a call, Aussie Mobile # 0429535852. I'm keeping an eye on your progress and I second Jim, you are getting on with it and the progress is easy to see and most impressed.
Cheers Leon.

well a bit more progress has been made, side panels are on rear suspension all done minus shocks, [still deciding] hoses all run up to front of chassis and radiator arrived today so that's going to be the last thing to fit, then its pull it all down for paint etc,
a couple of pics
exhaust , rain lite , tow hook

rearexhaststaysrainlightandtowhookdone_zps0656c722.jpg

rear suspension sans shocks , brakes are Vette with Wilwood 4 pot calipers
lefthandsidealldoneanddusted_zpsfce45e29.jpg

header tank and swirl pot on top hose

headertankandswirlpot_zps7e0fb15a.jpg

side panels on and fuel tanks mounted

sidepanelreturns_zps34e26f8f.jpg

water pump and fuel surge tank all hidden under the seat as will be fuel pumps and ECU
waterpumpandfuelsurgetankbehindseat_zpsb2872113.jpg

Tyres finally arrived , will fit them up when I get wheels back mon tue there 10.5-23-15 fronts and 12.5-27-15 rears hand cut Avons

Newtyres_zps4838d05c.jpg

front end also all done complete with sway bar but minus shocks.
thenoutthefronttorad_zps6206f1f8.jpg

will post some more pics next week by which time I hope to have her sitting on wheels for a photo shoot before I strip it for final paint etc.
until then
cheers John

Well finally on the home stretch, radiator arrived so I spent the day mounting that and also modifying the nose cone, as I had built my chassis 50mm taller than the original, we thought it prudent to cut a wedge into it so the floor at the rear of the nose will be the same as the floor of the chassis, it also allowed me to move the radiator forward of its intended position by 100mm
nosebodymod_zps8457ede3.jpg

the rad in position, it measures 400 x 300 x 125 dual pass cross flow so hopefully will do the job, to be assisted by a 10" fan for cool down duties etc.
radiatorsin_zps7258d85a.jpg

then one little problem that emerged I hadn't given a moments thought, as we'd all been hopping in and out of this thing a various times with and with out body, we would just use the top of the body sides to push on to get out of the seat, but a Perspex wrap around screen has yet to be fitted , so then what's going to happen, bugger, so a couple of pram handles in the right place should suffice, and a test evacuation says yep they work ok.
pramhandles_zpscbd2d3f9.jpg

all that's left now is to trim up the front of the side panels, cut the openings for suspension arms etc, fit a return on the end and that's about it, put the wheels on, take a couple of happy snaps then pull the whole thing down to a bare chassis to be blasted and painted etc
oh what fun

cheers John

Looking bloody great John, I'm so jealous. You will be driving her in a few months and I'll lucky if I'm driving mind in a couple of years (I wish) I'm back at work again now out in Dalby. If I have time I will give you a call and try to catch up.Cheers Leon.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Hey Leonmac --is that Dalby Qld ? --Warwick is only a couple hours away and super sprints are on this w'end -- its always party time at "Pitstop Lodge"

Johns doing a fantastic job but he's not going anywhere till I get his freikin' clutch sorted

Hey Chris did you dig out those old grueilla drawings and have a check?

Leon whens your next R&R as I hope to have wheels this week and if I extract a digit and get the front of the side panels done and refit the front suspension, i'm going to lift it down off of the table, and onto its wheels for some pics before I pull it all apart again
I tried ringing you but your were unavailable..
cheers John

Chris, That is Dalby QLD. I'm working in the CSG projects all round QLD. Unfortunately I don't get time off while I'm here so won't get to see any racing. A couple of my mates from NZ are coming on Friday to a Classic meeting at Lakeside this weekend.

John, I'm booked to go home on 15th August I may see if I can get a free day before I fly and come and see you, We don't get good reception where we are for mobile but we have a site ph thats on WiFi 0498092100 if you want to chat. we are supposed to be moving from here and going to Woleebee Creek in the next 3-5days.

Looking forward to the pics of her on her wheels.

Cheers Leon.

Just to rub some salt into Leon, sorry mate
spent the morning making up new front top shock mounts that will place the mounting bolt outside of the side panel, then very very carefully marked out where all the holes for the suspension arms had to go , then rechecked and double checked before I was game enough to cut a hole, but the gods were on my side and it all lined up spot on
Frontsuspensionbackon_zps12f66cb9.jpg

I must admit sheet metal work isn't my strong point,, but with the help of a dolly I made in high school and still have, I made up the side panel returns on the front of the chassis

frontsidepanelreturns_zpsdc56e1ab.jpg

and now with the nose cone mod, the front profile looks like a bought one, I just have to wait for a warm day to glass it all together.

frontonprofilewithnosemod_zpse509579d.jpg

hopefully wheels tommorrow
watch this space
cheers John

first things first, put the wheels on and dropped it down off the table and put the scales under it. as it sits with no clutch and flywheel 514kg with a 80kg lump siting in the drivers seat, my guess is with fuel, water etc and a clutch another 50 odd kg, so approx 560kg on the start line is what I was hoping for, and the split is 57% rear - 43% front, gota be happy with that.
now a couple of happy snaps
the rear view mirror shot
fronton_zpsa4e60e72.jpg

nose cone mods still to finnish

DSC_01161_zpsa0b7fa4a.jpg

the noisey bit

thenoisyhalf_zps7c3ecc39.jpg

a birds eye view

lookinprettygoodireckon_zps6de3ee85.jpg

a common sight

itsonwheels_zpsc73ad817.jpg

A couple of minor mods to attend to, then its pull her all down for the chassis to get powder coated, painted etc, paint the body, then put it all back together.
cheers John

Back