F 5000, well sort of

That is way cool, looks like good fun is going to be had with that little toy. All Surtees Honda looking at the moment.

Looks great, I have to ask, is it going to get wings?? just small winglets on the front and a low wing (strut mounted) on the rear would finish the late 60s look and look bloody cool, can't wait to finish this hitch and pop up to see you and the car before I go home. Cheers Leon.

Hi Leon, no mate no wings, we did discuss it at length, but he wants to keep it as period as he can to the 68 BT24 look, wings didn't appear until the BT26 69-70.
cheers John

Just a short note to those that are interested, to say that a milestone has been reached. construction has finally been completed, and from tomorrow I will be meticulously dismantling the thing, so that with some sort of luck I will be able to reassemble it once the chassis has been sandblasted and painted. hopefully by which time all my drive line components will have reached me as well.

And oh yeh nearly forgot, I would like the world to no that a new proclamation is to be announced on the world media in the morning.
up until this point in time, namely the 6th day of August in the year 2013, it has been widely regarded as fact that you cannot make "strawberry jam out of pig sh#t".
well gentleman, as of this very day I can assure you that you can, as I proceeded to accomplish that very feat myself today, and I must say i'm extremely pleased with myself.:thumbsup::thumbsup::happy::cheesy:
cheers John

Hey John, I will be flying to Brizzy on the 14th was planning on staying an extra day to come up and see you and the car, will there be anything to see by then or will she be a pile of parts waiting for reassembly. Give me a call or txt as the coverage here is pretty scetchy, i'll probably stay the extra day regardless. The new avata looks good.
Cheers Leon.

What a beast.:stunned: A good friend of mine looks after a car collection for some stinking rich guy and in amongst his cars is a f5000 race car ( sbc engine). My friend had the chance to take it for a few laps of Goodwood circuit and give it some beans ,reckons it was the most terrifying ride of his life. He has driven some pretty fast cars so if he says its fast its definitely fast. Have you explained to she that must be obeyed that this thing only has one seat?? :laugh:

Bob

Looks great John, done so quickly too!
I can`t help but notice the inboard front wishbone mounts, are they level? Prob just the way the photo was taken, it appears the front right side (when viewed from front) looks slightly higher? I only mention this because if you plan on getting the corner weights done it may prove tricky to get them spot on, as when you adjust one corner the diagonal opposed one reacts.
It`s probably my eyes playing tricks!!!

Chris, what can I say you have eyes like an eagle, I double checked when I got to the shed this morning even though I was thinking no way, I used the same jig both sides, well bugger me you were right, somehow the right hand side was 8mm higher that the left, and the top was 8 mm high as well, I have absolutely no idea how I did that but i'm real glad you spotted it as I would probably have not noticed until it was to late.

if you like ill put up some more pics and you can go over them for me:laugh:

thanks John

Glad you found something wrong with it, at least you can rectify it before paint etc, be a shame to mess that up.
No more pics please, have enough trouble spotting mistakes with mine, for example did a couple of wishbones t`other day, double checked everything but alas I made them 16mm too short!!!
regards Chris

Well gents, its taken 5 months hard slog to get it all together, then just 2 bloody hrs to pull it all apart, dosnt seem right some how

allmostreadyforsandblasting_zpsf4e92934.jpg

Sorry Leon but there wont be much to see, except a pile of parts and an engine on a stand.
just a few welds to finish, and a bit of tidying up and off to the sand blasters Monday or tues.

cheers John

No worries John, I'm sure I will be back in a month or so, will catch up with you then, Hopefully I will get some progress on mine during that month. Cheers Leon

chassis came back from sand blast and paint fri morn so to date I have fitted the floor,
DSC_02791_zpseefac3be.jpg

then turn it over and started reassembly. fuel tanks are on battery in place, fitted a false floor under the seat and remade rear bulk head panels, and fitted gear shift
startedreassembly_zps662b1b59.jpg

I then fitted fuel surge tank water pump and hi press fuel pump etc and also fitted the coolant pipes
undertheseat_zpsf27e6079.jpg

it looks a little busy down there, but it all fits under the seat ok and is easy to get too for maintenance etc.
so hopefully engine back in on Monday and pray for a flywheel and clutch.

cheers John

Well Monday turned out to be make a new dash and fit it day, just a flashing to go across the bottom and its all done, Instruments are from "Stack"
newdashalldone_zps0a299a1f.jpg

then I found a home for the ECU under the seat [good for COG,]

ECUinanddashdone_zps0fc154a8.jpg

and finished upholstering the seat. padded insert is velcro'd in to allow for short people to drive.

flashnewseat_zps9d7b5071.jpg

hopefully tomorrow will be engine back in day.
see how I feel in the morning

cheers John

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Looking at the seat, and like what I see. I'm wanting to do the same thing, but didn't open my mind far enough. Question; did you use adhesive to attach a "loop" type of cloth liner onto the inside surface of the seat bucket (and then simply insert the padded cushion onto that liner with velcro)? If so, what did you find acceptable as the liner cloth material? I'd like to repeat what you've done.

Terry the seat is covered with the grey felt like Material you see, its glued onto the seat and the padded squab has a couple of Velcro strips on it that grab the felt , I got the material from a friend and haven't a clue what its called, but I will ask him tonight, and send it on, its great stuff as it stretches 2 ways, so will conform to shapes relatively easily.
cheers John

Back