F1 in 2011

Here at the Canadian GP: Hamilton commented that you might see as many as 4 to 5 pit stops using the two extra sets os super soft sets allowed! He used one set up with a right rear flat during practice (he ran over carnage debris). Two red flags shortened P2 so everyone scrambled for the last few minutes to test the super soft tires. Fettle crashed hard in P1 but got back on track for P2 and ended second best for the day. Alonso was fastest by a hair. I think they were using Vettle as the rabbit since they were following him around the circuit all during the session.

Keith

Holy Crap Batman!

I never saw that one coming.......... :stunned::stunned::stunned::stunned::stunned::stunned::stunned:

That was what you might call, er, an "eventful race?"

No spoilers until tomorrow chaps....... :drunk:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
O.K. it is Tuesday in Oz so hopefully this is not a SPOILER.................
A terrific race, thank you Mr Pirelli. Amazing drive from Button, total brain fade from Hamilton and the one finger anointed one cracked under pressure.
Terrific stuff. Go Webber.

What an amazing race - surely one of the great drives by Button. To come from 21'st and plum last to win in 25 odd laps is fantastic.

It wasn't the tyres either, as others had fitted option tyres before him. He just had the confidence in the car to put his money where his foot was and press the loud pedal more than the other guys.

Even better to see Vettel crack under pressure on the last lap... I had one of my cats on my lap whilst watching, and you should have seen how high he jumped when I shouted as Button passed Vettel on the last lap - Just sublime :)

I'm still grinning as I write this :thumbsup:

P.S. WHAT was Hamilton doing????? He never should have ditched his dad as his manager. He's lost so much focus since then....

i think it was one of the best races i've seen in years (literally) but if schumacker was on the podium........then that would have been great. i think alot of you secretly also wanted this!!

From the vantage of corner 6, I would suggest that both Schumaker and Vettle suffered from tire degradation and sir Button, being the tire manager that he is, made stupendous time on them in the last laps. Had THE view of Vettle's mishap and Button's pass in real time. He was actually very consistent with his lines so I do think he had a tire problem and corner 6 was a slippery one for most of the contenders. Also got to see a Ferrari challenge car shunt it into the Pirelli Armco barrier. The repair took about 2 hours and provided entertainment during the deluge before the final SC restart.

"final SC restart"....sorry the Farrari challenge race was before the first F1 SC start. It rained so often.....got confused!

Keith

Not me I don't like his ethics. Or lack of them.

I agree totally Pete - for all his 'brilliance' he was (is?) a petulant bully & a manipulator extraordinaire, + he had his precedents in Prost & Senna. Alonso is likewise extremely talented both in the driving and in the manipulation dept and hopefully he is now settled enough to let his driving do the talking, else I fear a repeat performance of the above track stars.

I think he acted in a remarkably mature way re: JB incident but there again, his boogie man is Mr H not Mr B.

Interesting comment re: Ham Snr Graham. Jnr hasn't put a foot right since the split...

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
For those of you in the US, who missed the end like I did.......

I even record the next hour, but not enough!

I see that Speed will show the race again, Tues AM! I can't wait.

I agree totally Pete - for all his 'brilliance' he was (is?) a petulant bully & a manipulator extraordinaire, + he had his precedents in Prost & Senna. Alonso is likewise extremely talented both in the driving and in the manipulation dept and hopefully he is now settled enough to let his driving do the talking, else I fear a repeat performance of the above track stars.

I think he acted in a remarkably mature way re: JB incident but there again, his boogie man is Mr H not Mr B.

Interesting comment re: Ham Snr Graham. Jnr hasn't put a foot right since the split...

Keith,
Ham signed with Simon Fuller, who also manages Beckham and Andy "I'll never win a slam" Murray. He is a rock star style manager. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that he know the square root of sod all when it comes to motor racing...

I missed the end too. I was recording it on Sky and they extended the coverage time OK, but when the BBC changed over from BBC1 to BBC2 that was it, so I missed nearly everything after the restart.

Anyone know if it is repeated as I'd love to see how JB drove those last laps.

Do you know how wet you can get by setting in the rain for over two hours? Five strong waves of rain hit. Columbia rain gear works. As of this AM my shoes are still drying. I still managed 700 or so shots. From turn 10 (hairpin) it was all great. The Ferrari challenge even had some banging of fenders. I was pulling for Schumacher but he didn't have the car or tires when Webber caught him. As wet as I got, I am glad I didn't leave with the earlier crowd.
This is a youthful party town and party they do. My wife only took me on one "death march", the long way up the mountain. All had great time with a terrific crowd.
moz-screenshot-14.png

Back