F1 in 2013

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I know that some folks here do not like the recent changes made to F1 to increase passing and increse on track action.

I totally disagree!

I do not know if you can remember all the way back to 2010, but in that entire season, there were only *****THREE***** on track passes for the lead!

And two of the three happened within a few corners in Turkish GP when Button passed Hamilton and was immediately repassed

The rest of the 19 races..............ZIP.

The 19 races were won by only four drivers.

Now in 2011, seven different drivers in five different makes won the first seven races. With several races having more on track passing for the lead than all of 2010!

I have watched literally a hundred races with NO on track passes for the lead. I've seen way to many races where a fast driver gets stuck behind a mid-pack runner for the whole race! They could not pass!

In 2007, we went all the way to Spa in Belgium, we sat there and watched........ nothing! They could have thrown the checkered flag as the lights went out, nothing would have changed.

I for one have greatly enjoyed the last few years. Now that does not mean that there isn't room for tweaking the system, but its a huge improvement!

Last edited:
Thanks Barron for the play by play of the race. My DVR was set to record but with the new programing from NBC Sports, it recorded the after show and missed the race. Anyone really happy with the change from Speed?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Jim I agree with you partially, this season has seen a lot more passing both on track and in the pits. A lot more exciting than previous years.
But I think Pirelli have got it a little wrong. When you see tires shredding and treads de-laminating it becomes outright dangerous.
And when teams spend more time conserving tires rather than RACING, it really becomes boring.
A move back to two or more tire manufactures might help.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,

I also agree with you, the tires are not holding up.

I do give Pirelli credit for taking on a very risky business. They knew going in that they were being asked to purposely build tires that lose grip after 10-15 laps.

Hitting that request has to be very difficult. Make them too hard and it defeats the purpose, make them too soft and.........

As we have seen, it seems that in this years early races they may have cut it too close.

We all know that Pirreli could easily build a tire that could last the whole race, probably even the whole season, yet they were willing to take the risk of a huge public embarrassment if they cut it too close!

For that reason, I think that we should not be too hard on them.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
They make a great road tire, I have p zero's on my cars. The risk they take is when someone who is ill informed sees a tyre explode and says to himself I won't buy Pirelli they are crap! Not good for the brand.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Hay Pete,

What did you think of that madman Perez, passing Button, Alonzo and almost Kimi?

I really enjoy watching him, when he learns to tone it down a little, he could be one of the greats.

As they say, its much easier to slow them down than it is to speed them up.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I thought Kimi's comment was gold when asked if he thought Perez needed talking to,
"I think he needs a punch in the face" was the reply.
It's great to see Perez having a go.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I have to agree with Mr. Craik. F1 has pretty much become a conga line from start to finish...barring wrecks, of course.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Perhaps I 'improperly stated', Pete! (Okay...I guess I did...) I was agreeing with his original view...'cause that reflects my own view today: F1 is boring to watch. There're so darned few places to pass at most venues that, for me, it still IS a conga line.

'Guess I just refuse to see the forest for the trees, huh...

Call me an unreasonable, uncultured clod...;)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Call me an unreasonable, uncultured clod...;)

I would never do that mate :thumbsup:
I do think that this season of F1 has been the best and most exciting for many years, and Monaco is one of the hardest places to pass.
But having said that the focus has gone too far onto managing tires and not onto racing.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I would never do that mate :thumbsup:

You are truly a gentleman, sir! :D

I do think that this season of F1 has been the best and most exciting for many years...

I more or less stopped watching F1 a couple years ago because of its 'high speed parade' component...perhaps I pulled the plug too soon? (I did catch portions of Monaco this year, though.)

...and Monaco is one of the hardest places to pass.

Agreed...and Monaco precisely illustrates my point. 'May as well be racing on a sidewalk IMHO.

But having said that the focus has gone too far onto managing tires and not onto racing.

'Couldn't agree more. 'Same can be said regarding any racing organization that limits the number of tires* (or anything else for that matter) teams can use in a given race. 'Do-so-simply-because-we-say-so' doesn't cut it with me too often...if ever. Some of 'us' old guys are opinionated buggers...

(* Nationwide and Craftsman Truck series come to mind. On a similar note, NASCAR "restrictor plate" racing really used to irritate me!)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Mercedes are to face an FIA tribunal over alleged illegal tire testing. Ferrari not.
The rub is Mercedes used a 2013 car, Ferrari a 2011 model.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
The "home of open wheel racing" here in the US chose to air truck racing instead of F1 live. Will have to watch the race later tonight. :furious:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Part II - "The home of open wheel racing" as self proclaimed by NBCSN, has hockey garbage on in the timeslot listed for the Canadian GP. :furious:

This is going to be a very frustrating season for us.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Ever wondered what all the dials and buttons on an F1 wheel do?
here they are explained by Sauber. Obviously the most used are the shift paddles and the KERS button.

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 203
Ever wondered what all the dials and buttons on an F1 wheel do?
here they are explained by Sauber. Obviously the most used are the shift paddles and the KERS button.

Well that's all quite easy then............................................apart from trying to concentrate on all that's going on around you, its good to have no other distractions :stunned::stunned::stunned::stunned:

I know that some folks here do not like the recent changes made to F1 to increase passing and increse on track action.

I totally disagree!

I do not know if you can remember all the way back to 2010, but in that entire season, there were only *****THREE***** on track passes for the lead!

And two of the three happened within a few corners in Turkish GP when Button passed Hamilton and was immediately repassed

The rest of the 19 races..............ZIP.

The 19 races were won by only four drivers.

Now in 2011, seven different drivers in five different makes won the first seven races. With several races having more on track passing for the lead than all of 2010!

I have watched literally a hundred races with NO on track passes for the lead. I've seen way to many races where a fast driver gets stuck behind a mid-pack runner for the whole race! They could not pass!

In 2007, we went all the way to Spa in Belgium, we sat there and watched........ nothing! They could have thrown the checkered flag as the lights went out, nothing would have changed.

I for one have greatly enjoyed the last few years. Now that does not mean that there isn't room for tweaking the system, but its a huge improvement!

I am not a lover of the new budget capped face of F1. Its had always been in years gone by the pinnacle of motorsport, now with limited budgets, restrictions on testing times and a whole raft of other changes I find the racing hard to watch. I enjoyed it more when we had the qualifying cars, as many engines as you needed, T cars and fueling during the races. Strategists and drivers in harmony:thumbsup:. I also feel that the lesser team`s got a raw deal and still do, it seems unfair that after a season of racing the minnows of F1 collect no points at all. I would like to see reverse grid slots, winners to the back.:happy: That would turn it on its head.

Bob

Edit .This scampering off into the distance from pole in the fastest car is as dull as dishwater.

Last edited:
Back