F1 in 2014.

I had a read of this Breaking Down the Costs of Racing in Formula 1: Is Spending Out of Control? | Bleacher Report.

When you see the amount of cash thats floating about in F1 you have to wonder about the way its distributed within the sport. Cash for points is a great idea accept it does nothing for those further down the field. Why cant the points be taken from 1st through to the last of the finishers. At least there would be something for the midfield and back rather than nothing. These smaller teams are making up the grid so how is it possible to run a season and get nothing for it?

Bob

Keith

Did you also read the bit about how Ferrari gets $100 million over and above everyone else for "heritage" reasons?

This asymmetric payment system is so archaic and yet it's consistently the top teams including Red Bull & Ferrari in particular that don't want change or cost caps. Between them, they effectively killed off FOTA last year as they did not want to sit around a table with the smaller teams.

The top teams have only themselves to blame for this situation...

Realistically, I believe only Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes are on a solvent footing. The rest, well they teeter somewhat..

I think Bernie's time is past now. I won't insult the man as many do, as he is, without doubt the Father of F1. If F1 has to implode and then is able to reinvent itself with a more workable business plan, I am all for it...

Keith

Perhaps Bernies three cars per team idea is the only way the grid slots will be filled.

Bob

As a temporary measure maybe, but it does invoke the Law of Diminishing Returns and solves nothing in the long term...

Most of Bernie's contracts are signed guaranteeing at least a 20 car grid. I think this is not going to be possible next year without some sleight of hand.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Which is exactly why three car teams is being mooted. A crazy idea IMHO. The smaller players can't afford two car teams now, teams of three will tip them down the gurgler that much quicker.
Btw Ferrari was a small team once as was Mclaren and Red Bull.

As a temporary measure maybe, but it does invoke the Law of Diminishing Returns and solves nothing in the long term...

Most of Bernie's contracts are signed guaranteeing at least a 20 car grid. I think this is not going to be possible next year without some sleight of hand.

The MAGIC will happen, too much $$$ at stake not to.

"Bernie Ecclestone has admitted he is not capable of solving Formula One's financial problems" :
Bernie you're past it. The moment that F1 requires leadership and vision F1 is "headed up" way past their sell by date "exec"'s, short term (high yield) TV contracts leading to total disinterest from daily media.
Bernie you got F1 into this mess......no thanks for stretching any further....
Goodwood revival weekend is more fun than a whole season of your F1. But I am not young either but I think I know my age: do you?

Keith

Respectfully disagree. What Bernie admitted to was setting up the original system which has been sustained until the present day. What he (or anyone else for that matter) CAN'T do is change the status quo unless the top 5 teams (the so called strategy group) agree unanimously to change it. To be honest, right now you have Red Bull & Ferrari to blame for destroying FOTA who represented all the teams and was the best chance for change. They destroyed it because they didn't want to give up their privileged financial position.

Neither Bernie or the FIA can do anything without this group's permission so it is they (top five teams) not Bernie who have brought about this impasse and until they relent, it will not change.

On the other side of the coin, the top five teams have sold this financial system to their respective shareholders and their business models depend on it.

So, big mess.

Had a great time at corner 12 (where a lot of action takes place). Great Porsche Cup race BTW. Funny "non-Race" for the second Ferrari Challenge on Sunday (full course caution after Sector 1 crash).....restart.....(full course caution again).....white flag....finish under caution....

From my perspective, the F1 race offered plenty of action and as mentioned previously, a lot of great mid-field drama. Heck, I'd watch dump trucks race if that's all there is to offer!:thumbsup:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Quite a few good drives and passing, Vettell did a great job from pit row, Ricciardo some terrific passes and a perfect strategy, and very dodgy facial hair.
Well done Lewis and Mal-doh- nado actually finished. Some hot grid girls as well.
Well done Texas.

BTW..."Fan Fest" on Halloween Night :thumbsup:, Joan Jett open air free concert :thumbsup:, great eats at Capital Grill....much merriment!

Sorry that we didn't meet up Doc, this is our second year to attend. The Ferrari Challenge was a little disappointing to be sure. A friend of ours was running the white 312 car from Vancouver BC. He just started the series, but is already in 7th with this being his 3rd race. He nerfed the blue car in T19 the race prior so he went from P4-P19 with the penalty and this was his start of the second race. He was able to get to P12 in the two laps of green.

Back