F1 in 2016

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Not F1, but did you notice MotoGP didn't start under safety car even though it was pissing down. Congratulations Carl Crutchlow rain master.

Max is a putz, hopefully he will grow out of it. Kimi should have rammed him off the track just for the multiple moves on the straight alone. The kid looked like he had palsey the way he was twitching on the Kimmel.

But never mind that, after all Kimi did pinch him off at turn one. I would like to have heard Vettle's reason for pinching off Kimi bouncing him into Max. Did anyone here is he addressed that?

The Renault into the barrier. Nasty, nasty.

Not F1, but did you notice MotoGP didn't start under safety car even though it was pissing down. Congratulations Carl Crutchlow rain master.

IMO Crashlow saved his career with that gamble/win, good for him. LCR had to be running out of spares with all the bike he has thrown down the road (and over the barriers) this year.

He must have some really, really understanding sponsors :-/

Keith

What did you think of Max's move at the start and his subsequent clashes with Kimi ?

It's interesting the number of people blaming Vettel for the T1 clash. I've looked at it from every angle and I have to say that whilst Vettel's 'chop' across KR's bow was rather vicious, I believe that move was a legitimate deterrent to KR having any ideas about emerging in front. Now, put MV into the equation and it appears that SV pushed KR towards MV so that we are left with an upalatable Raikonnen sandwich. However, you can only apportion blame towards SV IF you believe he knew that MV was there on the inside,and clearly, SV could not have possibly seen MV or for that matter even KR. Those F1 mirrors are tiny and do not offer peripheral vision.

Now if you also consider that at one critical stage of the T1 clash, MV's car had all 4 wheels outside of the track limits then you are left with the idea that perhaps MV was being overly and optimistic aggressive. It seems he was very miffed at losing to the 2 Ferraris at the start and wanted to correct the situation at the first corner..

As for his other antics, well he has almost perfected his own unique driving technique that I shall call the "Wobble Block" and no more needs be said about that.

I do think he's an exciting talent but not the only one in F1 by a long way and I think he has generated a lot of new fans for the sport. I just hope it's for the right reasons and I also agree with comparisons to Senna, although not in a particularly complimentary way - Senna was a poor sportsman who cared little for the sensitivities of others and I believe MV has been deliberately schooled this way as the quickest path to Championship status.

"Nice guys finish last" anyone?

Professor,
I was SVs fault at turn one. Any experienced racer knows what it takes to clear a car (or bike) you are overtaking whether you can still see him or not. SV made a mistake at the least and should have known he didn't have the speed differential needed to clear Kimi at turn one. He should have left a car's width at the apex (especially for his teammate), he didn't.

It was a bad assumption. Period.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
X2 on that. Poor Kimi, just trying to survive the turn, and gets beaten up on both sides. On another note, the radio conversations seem to provide more entertainment than the race/qualifying/practice at times.

This race, more than any other, seems to verify that the curbs mean nothing anymore. They should either be removed completely, or made like Austria. Yes, safety becomes more of an issue then, but if that was a sole consideration, then they need to do the NASCAR thing, and not race in the rain as well. Ultimately, the driver/team is going to quickly learn how much curb/grass can be used, and still complete a race.

Last edited:

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
To me, F1 was interesting until perhaps the late 80's. Today, I just watch to see who is leading after the first corner, since that's usually the winner of the race. I don't understand why the support for F1 is so strong when there is such little competition between the teams.

Keith

He was never the same driver after Barrichello threw car bits at his head.

Bob

Trying to glean some humour or profound meaning here: not finding any. I am quite sure Rubens didn't knowingly 'throw' anything at Massa so wisecracks are irrelevant. If I've missed something humourous then I apologise.

For me, it was a horrific accident and Massa was nothing short of heroic in his comeback.

Keith

To me, F1 was interesting until perhaps the late 80's. Today, I just watch to see who is leading after the first corner, since that's usually the winner of the race. I don't understand why the support for F1 is so strong when there is such little competition between the teams.

When was it any different?

Every era has been the same...

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Charlie Whiting had a word to Max and said that if he continued to act as he did with Kimi at Spa he would be penalised...Doesn't that mean he should have been penalised at Spa?

All this talk of further safety measures is hot air, if they were serious they would throw verstappen back into dodgem cars where he belongs. Especially now that he has confirmed in interview at Monza that he sees it as every other driver's responsibility to avoid him.

Mature and measured beyond his years - bollocks. Watch his interview re the Vettel Raikkonenn concertina at Spa turn 1 and you will see him switch his story to suit the question. the anger he displays when questioned later about his part in various incidents he caused and you will see the real git and not the wonder his PR team have tried to make us see him as.

F1 is for adults, not children like Max Verstappen.

Tim.

Back