F1 is boring me to death!!!!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Press release by Michelin. No suprises here:
INFORMATION, PRESS STATEMENT
22nd June 2006

MICHELIN WILL NOT REPLY TO THE FIA TENDER FOR TYRE SUPPLY IN FORMULA ONE

Michelin has continually made its belief known that Formula One should, as motorsport’s cutting-edge discipline, be an arena where the most advanced technologies can do battle in the interest of motoring.

In this respect, the changes in the Formula One rules to bring in a single-tyre supplier go completely against these principles. It is one more step towards standardising a sport which should be practised at the highest level of competition.

As a result, Michelin will not reply to the FIA tender for tyre supply in Formula One. It does not wish to be seen to support the spirit of this tender at a time when the quality of its tyres has been amply demonstrated and appreciated by its partners, with a total of 99 Grand Prix wins over the years, under whichever rules have been in place.

-ends-

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
IMHO, I totally agree with Michelin's attitude, F1 should be the cutting edge of technology and apart from safety, should be Formula Libre.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
William Hill has announced it is offering high odds that Jenson Button will not win a Grand Prix this season.
I think they will probably do a similar bet with Schumacher, Barichello, Weber, Montoya, Coulthard, the younger Schumacher (who might lose his seat in 2007), and the rest of them really.
Alonso has raised the stakes so high today in qualifying in Montreal that he seems on another planet. And he could have gone faster still.
But the points come tomorrow and Montreal is his bête noir.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Not so boring ....

Alonso's Bête noir ? No Longer a factor.
Are Pat Symonds tactics sound? You bet.
Now the second half of the season starts in Indianapolis.
Any forecasts DTC? - I'm still waiting to have to 'eat my words'
and you haven't joined in for a while.

D

DavidTC

Apologies, I have been busy and the thread seems to have been temporarily hijacked between FB's usind the forum for their own private correspondence on 'inferior' parts of Monaco.
The World Cup is slightly more to the fore at the moment; lets hope England prevail against Portugal tomorrow. Brazil and Germany look eminently beatable.
MS still looks a force to be reckoned with and the only real competition for Fernando. If Ferrari get their act together it could still be an interesting season.(I thought you had already claimed that MS had thrown in the towel).
My wide body turnkey CAV GT 40 is well under way at A1 Autocraft. I am looking for a shake down outing to Spa/ Nordschleife in early September.
David

Keith

the thread seems to have been temporarily hijacked between FB's usind the forum for their own private correspondence on 'inferior' parts of Monaco.[/quote said:
Fat Bastards?? Eh? :eek:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Off topic posts: Anything on any topic,anytime.
Somebody tell me what FB means?
La Turbie is in France and not in Monaco.
What next?

Keith

Well Dave (M), I've always reckoned FB stands for Fat Bastard (see above) and if you remember the conversation re: GT40 jackets we actually refer to FB size (being a XXL from memory)

Also used in populist movies:

FB (Fat Bastard)
An immensely obese (weighing in at a metric ton) henchman hailing from Scotland, Fat Bastard served Dr. Evil in his quest to defeat Austin Powers and conquer Earth. He is noted for his foul temper, his frequently passing wind, and his unusual eating habits, namely a taste for babies (and anything that looks like a baby, eg: small people). He once tried to refuse Dr. Evil's money for his services in exchange for eating Mini-Me. (A commonly repeated quote is him saying to Mini-Me "I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain! Get in ma belly!")

Of course, it could equally mean "Friendly Blighters" but i wouldn't bet on it. :)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Indianapolis

Ferrari - P1 and P2.
Well done Bridgestone. Enough tyre data from 2005 I suppose.
Quite a bore really.
Magny Curse next. From the Sublime motor racing capital of the world to the ridiculous. Normal Renault service will be resumed.

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
David TC,
Fat bastard eh? Maybe next time you are doing reseach in Australia
we could meet up and have a beer.
Then you could call me a Fat bastard to my face?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Reposte:

DTC

"Lets hope for a real contest at Silverstone without more Renault wingeing".

Your words. You eat them.

Football - forget it. It's rather boring, more so than F1 can ever be.
A PATHETIC SORT OF A NON RELATED THREAD HIJACK ATTEMPT.
Quote: "thread seems to have been temporarily hijacked between FB's usind the forum for their own private correspondence on 'inferior' parts of Monaco".

FB - at least I have an ATPL and pass my class 1 AND 16,000 hrs.
AND I work as a contractor on two successful race teams - Renault and Audi.
I actually use my real name on this board as well

On "off topic" posts, post anything you like so long as it's clean.
Fact: After Monaco - ferrari and the kraut are UNCLEAN.

Rant over.

Last edited:
D

DavidTC

David
You seem to have completely missed the point. For Fernando to get his second world championship he needs to show he can stand up to some real competition. Ferrari and MS are the only competition this year and from the spectators point of view we need competition that last to the end of the season.
MS is flawed, but so were other great drivers eg Prost,Senna,Mansell to name a few BUT the flaws made them interesting characters to most of us. I don't understand the raw passion you exhibit against MS; he is flawed but give him equal machinery and he would still beat most people even now. The favours sported by the crowd at the 'yard' indicated they wanted to see Ferrari win and why not. They have the longest record in F1 and you can buy road cars that demonstrates how F1 technology translates across from one to the other.
Not sure where Renault technology eventually ends up.
David
ps my post did at least have a GT 40 sub-text; and I do tend to use my own e-mails for private correspondnce of limited interest to a wider audience.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I don't think you are getting it yet.
I saw MS when he was teamed with Johny Herbert at Benetton and had
a first hand look at the way he operated. IMHO he was flawed then and continued to be so. So many incidents when he could not achieve a result by fair means he resorted to other means. I could go on and on about it but the incidents are well documented. Monaco was the latest - the last straw and he was made well aware of it at the meeting in Silverstone. You are right in one thing - I exhibit raw passion in my utter dislike of him as a man.
He is a totally disingenous cheating arsehole who has brought disgrace on
himself and F1 so many times in his career.
There was also an effect - the Shumacher effect - and audiences world wide
yawned and yawned and eventually switched off. Ecclestone was partly responsible for that as well. I'm not suprised his F1 TV service failed as he attempted to launch it at the time people were turning away primarily because of MS. Many of my neighbours kept on telling me thay were finding better things to do than watch MS and F1 and these were die-hards who hitherto always went to Silverstone, some by helicopter direct form here in Marlow EVERY YEAR. Not any more.
Enough said.
I generally post in what used to be known as "off topic" posts. I don't think that you should really attempt to make any more crass or silly remarks.
This web is very, no -extremely international and meetings at various places around the world of gt40s.com members are, by and large, of interest to the rest of us, if not to you.
Once again, the headlines read:
(Silverstone)Alonso cruises to first British win
11 June 2006
You are required to eat your words.

D

DavidTC

Interesting response; never seen a post where the author destroys his own case in a few lines.
Lets make it simple. F1 needs competition to survive; nobody likes the season to be dominated by one team and your Shumacher reference was at a time when Ferrari were so dominant thayt every race had a predictable outcome.
At the start of this season Ferrari were still on the back foot and there was a danger that the season would be a procession lead by Renault and Fernando. Clearly in the first half of the season Renault/Michelin had the better package for the circuits however Ferrari has responded and the season is by no means over. This is to the benefit of the viewing public and a straight fight between Michael and Fernando is an exciting prospect.
Your thesis seems to be if Renault is dominant then that is great despite lambasting Ferrari for being in the same position a couple of years ago; where is the consistencey in that ?.
You also seem to have an unhinged view of MS which I suspect is not generally shared by former compatriots in Benneton. We accept that the guy is flawed and out for any competitive advantage, but he is a racer and even at Monaco he produced probably the drive of the day to score reasonable points after starting from the back. Could Fernado have done the same ?, not sure but I for one would like to see him tested.
His drive yesterday was lackluster and not one would expect from the package available to him.
At Magny Cour, (I like your appelation better, why don't they return to Le Castellet), Michelin will ensure they have tyres that work BUT for the rest of the season I would hope MS can mount a real challenge.
The other reason why many of us support Ferrari is that they are stayers; they will be there in 5 years time BUT will Renault. Their commitment to F1 has been patchy although we all know that when they do get involved they are a force to be reckoned with. Ferrari also have a route to take their technology onto the road whereas Renault's go nowhere.
I'll post some CAV GT40 chassis 116 pictures as the build progresses; on the appropriate forum.
Chill out the words will help your BMI !.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Indianapolis 2006

Apparently gmmf1 dailyf1news.com are reporting that Michelin tyres could have caused a 2005 style cockup this year as well. The harder compound was suffering damage (where it doesn't say) and Michelin advised six of the seven teams not to run the hard compound which, apparently, they all wanted to.

Keith

I'm frankly amazed they even got 100,000 people back there this year after the 2005 debacle. And they say lightning never strikes twice in the same place...

A narrow escape for F1 it would seem.

Mind you, the way it's going, I'm fast losing interest in the whole circus.:zzz:

Back