Fast & Furious 5 - GT40!!!

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Terry, I felt the same, but also see Alans point
They risked debasement of a blown hemi Charger in the first one which demonstrated a noble vehicle's immunity to the movie series and its fans. I'm not worried.

Can't help thinking that they really wanted to use the (new) Ford GT here, not that some of the viewers would notice, but found it more economical to go for a replica, since they would inevitably end up trashing one or two. I wonder if the producer mooted the idea of 'making it look more like the new one' ? Fran?

Absolutely not...they wanted "old school" GT40s....they were not at all interested in the Ford GT...their demands were for the original look...knock off wheels, etc etc ...

Care to name and shame those "lesser quality" alternatives? (in your opinion, of course) ;)

Nahhhh, besides not really my point. I have never bought anything from Fran but have spoken to him on the phone and he spent a few hours on more than one occasion answering my questions and offering his help in any way possible.

But to be honest we ALL have see some cars that people claim to be gt 40's that dont quite make the cut

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Fran, interesting, I guess there must be some old school guys in there, fighting back from the 'ricers':laugh:

Ron Earp

Admin
They seem to be into the retro cars. Maybe the Ricer movement is dead!

My 72 GTS was featured in the last F&F flick and apparently they trashed seven or eight of the 72 Sport Coupes making the movie. Not good.

3381484932_e1da072b22.jpg

fastandfurious.jpg

Mine didn't come with the chick though.

Keith

Or the very same persons realized rice was over and dumb because of the no real performance represented.

Huh? You have to be kidding right? I can buy this car, just arrived from Japan as a grey import, less than 40,000 miles, 600 hp twin turbo for £7,000 and weighs around 2,000 lbs and you can go shopping in it.

One of the best if not THE best cars that ever came out of Japan.

It's a bit more modern than some of your retro cars but I'll take any of you on with this one and that's just one of many available at the docks right now....

I'd have it in a heart beat... You just cannot beat a turbo 4 or 6...although, of course I like a lightweight small block screamer too... but you can keep your boat anchors.. :)

Attachments

• 1563340-1.jpg
    1563340-1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 318
Keith mate,

Some years ago I had an imported Celica WRC, with the whale tail and turbo intake etc... I have to agree with you. The ride was like a pea on a drum, but the performance and handling was amazing. I think it's a cultural thing. The guys over the pond have always loved cubic inches (and who doesn't, let's be honest...), but my measly 3.6 Litre twin turbo 6 pot will take on most V8's all day long and do it for 100,000 miles no muss no fuss. The europeans and now the far eastern guys have always gone down the road of technology over cubes.

Mind you, that's changing now, as we see ever increasing engine sizes over here as well.

Still gotta go some to beat the sound of a good old american V8 though...

Oh, and you seem to have come over all Italian like....

Huh? You have to be kidding right? I can buy this car, just arrived from Japan as a grey import, less than 40,000 miles, 600 hp twin turbo for £7,000 and weighs around 2,000 lbs and you can go shopping in it.

One of the best if not THE best cars that ever came out of Japan.

It's a bit more modern than some of your retro cars but I'll take any of you on with this one and that's just one of many available at the docks right now....

I'd have it in a heart beat... You just cannot beat a turbo 4 or 6...although, of course I like a lightweight small block screamer too... but you can keep your boat anchors.. :)

Can you send me a link to such?
Because, truth be told, I am quite skeptical - haha.

Keith

Just do a search for Nissan Skyline R32, R33, R34. They come in various performance packages from 'mild to wild' and there is a current model. It is one of Japans best kept non secrets.

Japan has very strict emission laws so they have to sell their cars when they get to 5+ years and we in the UK are net benefactors of that system as we can buy low mileage, grey imported usually 1 owner cars for a fraction of the new cost. As a bonus, we have a thriving parts infrastructure for any of these models.

All we have to do to them is add a rear high vis fog light. Job done as they are all RHD.

I am quite sure these grey imports would not pass many (any) of the strict emission laws you have in the USA.

I drive a grey imported Isuzu Bighorn 4x4 built at a time when Isuzu and GM were partners and out of that arrangement came a vehicle with a Lotus badge on it! I paid just $4,000 for a 1 owner low mileage fully loaded example which I still have, seven years on.

This also goes for Mazda MX5's (Miata) which we can also pick up for a song.

Why buy new?

Personally, I am not a fan of Teutonic cars as only wankers drive them (present company excepted of course) and I would not be seen dead in a French hearse, so it's either British, Japanese or, as in the past American Muscle (small blocks only).

But, the power you can get out of a 2-3 litre turbocharged in line four or V6 is insane...

Personally, I am not a fan of Teutonic cars as only wankers drive them (present company excepted of course) and I would not be seen dead in a French hearse, so it's either British, Japanese or, as in the past American Muscle (small blocks only).

But, the power you can get out of a 2-3 litre turbocharged in line four or V6 is insane...

There's no way you could see what my hand was doing under the covers at 6am this morning :worried:

And what's wrong with a boxer 6? :huh:

Cheeky monkey :)

wow, a 40 in the next destruction derby movie !!
Is anyway a good thing.People loves to see such car all around (and they choose well the paint scheme.That is the best one for a gt40 imho).
So happy for Fran, even maybe only we here inside know the car is done by him.
So proud of my RCR jacket :D

P.s. keith, your new nickname is lovely..LOL

Ron Earp

Admin

Keith, why be hating on the BBs? Have you driven a BB from any maker that was wearing modern ally heads, modern intake, proper cam, and carbed correctly? They even have ally blocks too if needed. Dodge Viper engines are no good?

I dunno, but 700+hp and 700 lb/ft of torque, with the torque being available at that level pretty much off idle to red line is great stuff and a lot of fun. I agree, BBs of lore in stock trim like I used to have in a station wagon suck. But a properly built one is awesome.

I owned a 93 Mazda RX 7 which I sold to be able to purchase my GT40. That 1.3 litre rotary engine was "massaged" to produce 400 hp but I had buddies producing much more than that. It was a screamer in the cool temps and could handle with the best of 'em. I love my big thumping V8 but that rotary was very special indeed and it looked great too IMHO. Thirsty though...for sure! I look forward to seeing the GT40 in the movie and congrats to Fran. I hope its going to be a good year for him.

I agree with Jimmy, I have had several RX-7 turbos including a pumped up 93, they were awesome fast and fun to drive and I liked playing with the boost and electronics.
My Gt40 w/webers and my Lightning have that wonderful torgue that small turbo or supercharged engines have to make too much noise and fuss to replicate but what the hell, it's all good!
Dave

Ron Earp

Admin
I'd have it in a heart beat... You just cannot beat a turbo 4 or 6... :)

Keith, you reckon turbocharging or supercharging doesn't work on V8s? In particular, "big block" V8s? It does, and with fantastic results. Again, displacement will win that battle. If 20 psi is good for the 2L four pot it is quite exceptional on the 8L V8.

Back