Fast & Furious 5 - GT40!!!

Keith

Not hating BB's at all Ron, but I do like "screamers" - small displacement motors making 140hp + per litre NA and even more with forced induction. I just enjoy the challenge!

I have had my share of big V8's but short of induction systems there's nothing much new there, although I would have liked a crack at this Coyote engine. I believe that might evolve into something interesting.

You beat me to it, just spotted the trailer on youtube. I can't see the film having a negative effect on GT40's might make younger car enthusiasts take a bit more interest in the cars which can't be a bad thing.

Trev

Maybe the movie will affect the teenage set like the real thing. One of my neighbor's grandkids, Merrit, is 15. She's taking driver's ed in school. She's a nice kid, visits her grandma a lot.

The other day, her dad came over to look at the GT40. He'd never seen one before. He told me Merrit had been saying she didn't like cars and wasn't at all interested in what she drove.

But then she visited her grandmother and saw the GT40 parked in the driveway. "She told me it changed her life," her dad said.

Anyone seen the film yet? I saw it last night and would give it 3 out of 5. It's another typical Fast & Furious movie, lots of fast action, stupid stunts and bad acting.

As for the GT40 it features very early on when it's stolen from a train and taken back to a workshop. There is something in the car that the bad guy in the movie want's so they strip the car to find what it is.

Later the Rock's FBI team put the car back together, in what appears to be a couple of hours. I just sat there thinking what have I been doing wrong. I've been working on my GT40 for a year and I am only just thinking about fitting the suspension.

Looks like I need the Rock round for a few hours.

Trev

They only gave us a few weeks to build the cars and get them shipped out too....Glad they figured out how to put it back together...
I would have hated to have to go and hang out in the lovely California sunshine.....:sad:

The car looked great Fran, sure there will be plenty of people googling GT40 after seeing the film.

1966-Ford-GT40-Fast-Five-1.jpg

Trev

Dreadful thought! You keep your nose to the grindstone, hand on the wheel, bum in the air, and keep working. You're doing good there. If you get back any cheap, slightly used, left-over cars from this, can you kindly ship them out to Sydney? I'll help with shipping cost :)

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
The promoters of the film have asked a local car guy here in Huntsville (Huntsville Car Scene) to put together a promotion at the local Rave Theater.
I have agreed to put my GT 40 on display there for the premier this Friday.
Should be interesting........................

yes but Fran told about 3 cars delivered to theme, probably in the studios they will place just one.
I mean..maybe can become good bargains for someone living in the area, being fran's car very resistant to crash as the originals (and think in the movie they probably forced a bit over suspension and maybe chassis,didnt see any serious crash there..)

:D all this cause I want to see more and more cars on the road :D

Keith very cool

Have my car put on display today for the premier in germany. Tonight is preview night, tomorrow the official start.
Has been a bit of a challenge to get the car into the cinema.
Spend the last days to get the roadgrime of 200mls of the car. First time i polished it for show.
IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

TOM

Looks like we all might have a bit of income over the next few months, parking our cars in movie theatres. :)

As for all the "ricer" snobbery, get a grip guys, they are all cars. Horses for courses.

I have a few cars, among them the GT40, an R33 GT-R and a 94 WRX.
Fastest of the three around a race track is the WRX, by a long way. Sure it's modified to hell but who cares... it's a car.
BTW 600 bhp from a GT-R is nothing - NOTHING! They are fantastic cars.

I've argued both sides of this stupid argument before, just for the fun of it, but at its heart it's just that - stupid.

Bigger isn't always better you snobs, just sometimes... :poke: :D
Big engine, big engine, big engine... where I drive, cars have to do lots of things they obviously don't have to do in America... We have these things called corners... much more fun than all that straight line boredom. ;)
10 seconds of fun... must sound familiar to your partners... :poke: :D

BTW plans are afoot for both the GT40 and the GT-R, just to even things out a bit. Both have recently had power injections... :evil: :D

Tim.

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
We DO have corners, you know. We have some road race tracks, too, which also have corners. And we have a lot of straight line driving as well, but probably no more than you have in OZ, which has just as much flat land area as we do.....and now we even have traffic roundabouts, which the Mini-Cooper loves to go around..

FWIW, I have both a GT40 and a vintage Mini, both loads of fun in different ways.

Just kidding Jim. ;)
That "ricer" stuff is such bull$4!7...

Minis. I regret selling mine... :cry:

Just quietly, I recently met a new friend with a supercharged 5.4 Quad cam. That thing has me quite interested. ;)
It's possible to appreciate all sorts of cars if you'll open your minds a bit... oh yeah, I forgot... ;p

BTW Jim, I live in Tasmania which is about as flat as... a not very flat thing...

Tim.

Last edited:
This car - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-HTmonxbmc is freaking awesome, and you can buy one and drive it to the shops.

Standard they were shackled by stupid regulations -they were only about 300 bhp (give or take) and such puny power found the weight hard going, but with some simple modifications they are brilliant.

Because of the 280bhp limit the Japanese manufacturers were stuck with, lighter cars with that power got in front of the GT-R, but the GT-R wasn't really meant to be left standard... that much is obvious as soon as you start playing with them. ;)

I haven't had much experience with Supras but I doubt 600 bhp would be a problem and response wouldn't suffer too much at that level I'd have thought... in a well engineered example anyway.
My WRX has 600 and response is fine.

Tim.

Last edited:

Ron McCall

Supporter
We went to see it last night. I though it was very good.
The RCR GT40 and the Pantera both looked amazing! The GT40 got
quite a bit of screen time.
Congrats Fran!

Back