Fast & Furious 5 - GT40!!!

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Personally (and I don't own a 40, nor a replica of one), I am disappointed that this ridiculous series of movies is finally linking to the '40, thus risking the debasement of such a noble vehicle as our subject icon.

Personally (and I don't own a 40, nor a replica of one), I am disappointed that this ridiculous series of movies is finally linking to the '40, thus risking the debasement of such a noble vehicle as our subject icon.

Idk...
If anything, people will only respect the 40 more. The hype/respect the series had died after the 1st installment. The movie single handily made the Toyota Supra a valuable (overrated mind you) machine. People that didn't know about the 40 (hard to come by) will get some exposure. But your point is quite valid.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

They risked debasement of a blown hemi Charger in the first one which demonstrated a noble vehicle's immunity to the movie series and its fans. I'm not worried.

If the movie makes the GT40 popular , you might see copies being built on a Fiero chassis or something like that .

Idk...
If anything, people will only respect the 40 more. The hype/respect the series had died after the 1st installment. The movie single handily made the Toyota Supra a valuable (overrated mind you) machine. People that didn't know about the 40 (hard to come by) will get some exposure. But your point is quite valid.

The fact a supra can make like 600rwhp with only minor mods is what made it valuable, not the movie.

The movie though helped define the silly ricer culture though.

You beat me to it, just spotted the trailer on youtube. I can't see the film having a negative effect on GT40's might make younger car enthusiasts take a bit more interest in the cars which can't be a bad thing.

I was going to go for Guardsman blue with white stripes too

build-december15.jpg

Trev

And Hot Wheels will ramp-up and spit out a new redition! All is good for more exposure. Still pull up to a gas pump and a mini car show erupts. Usually get 1 out of 3 asking "what is it"? Mostly young pups usually. And "NO"! The steering wheel isn't on the "Wrong" side!

The fact a supra can make like 600rwhp with only minor mods is what made it valuable, not the movie.

The movie though helped define the silly ricer culture though.
BPU supra's can only handle 400rwhp with "minor" modifications. 600 = masssive single turbo, highway pull powerband, etc...

It's great to see the '40 in a movie, but it's such a shame that the movie has to be so crass and unbelieveable.

I just love it when they're driving "flat out, in the dark" and they seem to be able to drop a gear to go faster??? WTF?????

Millions of kids will think that it is soooooo cooooool. Did the film actually start the awful fashion of "Drifting" that made half witted drivers like Tanner Foust famous?

:idea: I've got an idea - let's make a championship where you get awarded for finding the SLOWEST way around a corner :veryangry::veryangry:

Off my soapbox now....

Keith

Millions of kids will think that it is soooooo cooooool. Did the film actually start the awful fashion of "Drifting" that made half witted drivers like Tanner Foust famous?

I've got an idea - let's make a championship where you get awarded for finding the SLOWEST way around a corner :veryangry::veryangry:
:idea:

Er, kindly explain the terms "drifting" (anything to do with catching herring?)

Tanner Foust? (A sixpenny opera?)

As for the final idea Graham, I'm afraid it's already happening mate. Check any Waitrose car park on a Saturday...:lipsrsealed:

Er, kindly explain the terms "drifting" (anything to do with catching herring?)

Tanner Foust? (A sixpenny opera?)

As for the final idea Graham, I'm afraid it's already happening mate. Check any Waitrose car park on a Saturday...:lipsrsealed:

Waitrose?

Too upmarket mate - try Tesco's - a much bigger car park :):):)

A couple of pics of the 40 they are using in the film. I have no idea which manufacturer the car is from, maybe superformance?

Fast+Five+Cars+%281%29.jpg

Fast+Five+Cars+%2812%29.jpg

They are RCRs. It's discussed a bit in the RCR section. I think it's great! Let all the youngsters get a look at what a truly beautiful car is, and some will learn about them and what they are and what they meant to automotive history.

Keith

They are RCRs. It's discussed a bit in the RCR section. I think it's great! Let all the youngsters get a look at what a truly beautiful car is, and some will learn about them and what they are and what they meant to automotive history.

Well, unless the hood is popped I cannot believe that Fran would allow a panel gap like THAT on one of his cars, would he? :worried:

The panel fit is much tighter than that...nose must be popped...(its not the same colour as when it left here either).....

Check out the fit on the other cars in the pic. with Vin Diesel..and the film clip...the car above is actually the one used for the "beauty" shots...it did not get used hard...the other two were beaten to death...and they held up very well.

Well, unless the hood is popped I cannot believe that Fran would allow a panel gap like THAT on one of his cars, would he? :worried:

The hartwell latches look to be down (unless they're fake... maybe it's one of the "Mules"). As you say, I can't think that Fran would let that one go...

Do I detect a hint of snobbery here????

This series of films is pure fantasy, imagine a LARGE hotwheels track set to music from when we were kids. We never drove/ pushed them in a straight line we imagined what it would be like to slide them around corners, screeching sounds and all, not to mention the fantastic car wrecks that resulted. Not to mention the unbelieveable ones that YOUR car survived by landing on it wheels......

I think it is great that the younger generation gets to see the beauty of the entire car spectrum, and who knows it may even motivate some to go pic up a wrench and BUILD something....

I for one am glad that they picked a great company to supply the 40's instead of some of the "lesser quility" alternatives out there.

Back