Ford GT40 Factory Blueprints Chassis plans from Ford Advanced Vehicles

I m interested in blue prints and CAD Drawings are any good ones available? I want to build a GT 40 From scratch

Neil

Supporter
I have no chassis tub drawings but I do have a number of Ford Advanced Vehicles GT40p drawings such as rear hub carriers, front & rear hubs, steering shaft, shift rod, front & rear coil-overs, pedal assembly, etc but I cannot in good conscience share them without permission from the person who gave them to me.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Rune

Supporter
All of you out there want to build a monocoque from the original drawings, go to Jimmymac or mine build tread and spend some time study the prosess, then you will find out if you want to spend 5-10+++ years building time build from scratch. I have done that , but would not go trough this once more. It is to time consuming. For most of you find a replica or a left project.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I am in agreement with Bune and like him our projects are nearing completion after ten years and myself and Alistair said that we would NOT do this again, life is way too short.

I would recommend that before anyone attempts to start a project like this he should compose a realistic time and cost plan for their efforts including materials, subcontractor shop time, major tooling and rare parts.
You should assume that you are not highly gifted like Bune, and don't know much about the "ins and outs" at this stage so double your estimate as contingency. (remember you do not have ALL of the drawings)
You must also need to be honest with yourself and make an assessment of your own capabilities - if you can't do it then another expert guy will have to do it and this means $$$
Even though some of us have done the homework and know what to get, these days original parts are also much harder to find and way more expensive.

Fact is that if you spend only ten hours per week on a scratch build, after ten years you will burn 5000 hours of you own time. This is OK if one is doing nothing and doesn't need to earn a living or have no family life.
There are two of us here on this single project and each of us have done more time than this.

I was a dreamer and had great plans to build another car in this life, a Dino 206SP and I even bought an engine for it a long time ago but I know that it's physically impossible now and I am not throwing my cheque book out of the window.
Read my signature !

Last edited:
We should all give up , that is the best way for people to lose interest . Some of us are young enough and do have skill . I have restored a few cars , that required thousands of hours and made a few other things . It is what some of us enjoy doing , where are the next generation of metal men or tin bashers going to come from. I have two English wheels , planishing hammer , 52 inch sheer brake and sliproller .

The trick is not minding that it hurts. / What one man can do another can do .

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
That sounds great David and you know what I was on about.
Wishing you good fortune with your build.

Some people's inspiration for this type of project started with Jim Dunham's gt40 in hotrod magazine.
Dreams do come true if you work at them .With a little help from my friends , and the new inspiration in many of our lives - Jimmy - Rune - Dave Brown - and the many others out there on this site.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
David,
Is it not time to start your build log ?
There has not been a fresh new scratch mono built on here for a long time and I for one think it would do the reading some good.:thumbsup:

Charlie Farley

Supporter
I appreciate the comments James made, I too have been down that road.
I have enough of the rare parts to build four cars, including a Gulf car, having hunted down and obtained the spare engine to 1075.
We all start out full of enthusiasm. Yes, it is possible and we all have skills and the time, if we commit it, but one factor has been omitted here...
Life.

You cannot factor life in and what will happen.

For those who would like a slightly easier option, I offer you this :
the website also has some fun content.

Building and Racing a Legend – Historic car racing

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
:thumbsup:Yep as Andrew has said, the best route is to buy a ready built monocoque or upgrade a roller and it's much easier now.
Life's downers are the BIG factor and there are plenty of those down that road.
(I won't go into the doom and gloom here)
But if you can do it like David wants to then it's a buzz.

I appreciate the comments James made, I too have been down that road.
I have enough of the rare parts to build four cars, including a Gulf car, having hunted down and obtained the spare engine to 1075.
We all start out full of enthusiasm. Yes, it is possible and we all have skills and the time, if we commit it, but one factor has been omitted here...
Life.

You cannot factor life in and what will happen.

For those who would like a slightly easier option, I offer you this :
the website also has some fun content.

Building and Racing a Legend – Historic car racing

Charlie, do you know if they will/can supply parts and components?
i'm thinking things like suspension uprights, steering rack, pedal box, shift selector, bell housing?

the other bit that I may need help with is a roof pressing.

I haven't asked as i'm not up to the point of needing them and don't want to waist there time and mine.

Ryan

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Hello Ryan,

We can supply every part as per the original drawings.
Furthermore, due to my restoration work on originals,
I have had many other parts specially made.
Best thing to do is contact me through the Building and Racing
website when you are ready.
Btw, the chassis now has HTP papers for historic racing.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Hello James,

Good to see you stayed the course. We both know what hurdles you overcame. As you so rightly stated, it's a once in a lifetime exercise.
Good on you mate. Brings to mind our first meeting at Ray's, those
were care free days...
Can't wait to see your creation in the flesh.

Rune

Supporter
We should all give up , that is the best way for people to lose interest . Some of us are young enough and do have skill . I have restored a few cars , that required thousands of hours and made a few other things . It is what some of us enjoy doing , where are the next generation of metal men or tin bashers going to come from. I have two English wheels , planishing hammer , 52 inch sheer brake and sliproller .

The trick is not minding that it hurts. / What one man can do another can do .

We did not say that you all should give up, we just pointet that to build a gt40 monocoque , you need almost every drawings, and you also have to make lots of tools, and not to mention all CNC work, so you need to be a skilled solidwork user. and you must make molds and cores for uprigths, steering and know how to make them in aluminum with the hardning prosess. You also need lots of spotwelder machines. You can make a car without all these equipment but then you must pay the cost.
But of coarse it is a challenge to build a mono from just metal sheets and lots of steel. So for all of you out there that want to start the prosess, you have my fully respect, I know what you will go true.

Everybody`s dream is different, that`s why we are all individuals.
When I first toyed with the idea of building a car some 15 years ago, my friend said why? do you think you can do better than Mr Toyota with his millions?
Now all these years and 5 cars later, he is one of my biggest fans.
Whilst my cars do not have the technical difficulty of a GT40, they all had there own dramas, like building the buck and molds for the M8B.
The point is I did dream and I did create some incredable personal achievments.
Dreams can be reality......that was a 35ft launch I built.
Cheers

Has it been confirmed that there are actual blueprints that were updated along with the development of the GT40? I'd be surprised if there are any updates past the original Mk1 chassis. The development of the car was very fast paced, and most of the development was in the fiberglass body while testing. I suspect that when something worked, the simple solution was to modify an old mold and start laying up new body panels. No time to re-draw. Remember, this is the slide rule, drafting board era.

I had a similar experience with a Fokker Dr.1 project (WWI, triplane, Red Baron). Aviation was quickly developing during WWI, and Fokker never put the Dr.1 design on detailed blueprints. It wasn't until the '70's and '80's that some talented people reversed engineered the few surviving examples, and come up with a couple of variations of plans. I suspect that the GT40 is in a similar situation.

So, I'm wondering if these plans are original from Ford and/or the UK factory? Or, if they are reversed engineered?

Either way, it would be nice to have a solid reference so as to attempt an accurate build. It's proving a difficult task.

J

Back