Ford Motorsports 427 Crate Motor

To all,
I have been researching motor combos for my SPF GT40 I will be ordering soon, and obviously there are so many to choose from. It has been suggested by a couple of people that the Ford Aluminum 427 Crate Motor is hard to beat. But neither of them own one. My questions is, does anybody out there have this motor and how is it performing?
Ford Racing Performance Parts
MMurphy

I was considering the same engine as well. Also, suggestion for the best tansaxle to mate with the "powerhouse." I was originally thinking about the Quaife ZFQ, but I talked with a rep the other day and he was under the impression they didnt have anything that would fit the GT-40. Then again he misspelled half of his e-mails, so I'll just chock that up to incompetance. I would really like to have a dog boxed trans, due to the ability to withstand more HP and torque.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
To all,
I have been researching motor combos for my SPF GT40 I will be ordering soon, and obviously there are so many to choose from. It has been suggested by a couple of people that the Ford Aluminum 427 Crate Motor is hard to beat. But neither of them own one. My questions is, does anybody out there have this motor and how is it performing?
Ford Racing Performance Parts
MMurphy

I'm surprised nobody replied to this, although I don't know anything about that particular motor.

However, I did want to point out, in case you aren't aware, that the FE series aka "Big Block" engine, of which this is an example, is a fairly unusual and more expensive candidate for an SPF and requires (sort of) the FE option of the SPF chassis which costs extra ($7K?). It's possible to install an FE into a "351" aka Windsor SPF, but a bit of a headache. Ask me if you want more details on that.

As to the transaxle question the only straight-forward options for an SPF are a ZF, eg from RBT Transmission (http://www.rbttrans.com/index.html), or the so-called ZFQ from Quaife. I have the latter. It is on their website here: QBE62G - Quaife Engineering. Both sell for about $13K last I heard.

Both of these are probably fine for street use up to ~500 hp/500 ft-lb. The ZF drops into an SPF (almost), the ZFQ requires some modifications.

Other vendors to investigate are Mendeola Signature Motors, and https://griffingearboxes.com/Home.php

Used ZFs from Panteras, BMW M1s, etc, can be found and are cheaper but require varying degrees of modification to work with an SPF.

Also see http://www.gt40s.com/forum/garage-sale/34208-new-zfq-sale.html#post341562.

And finally, if you do establish a useful contact with Quaife I would be very interested to know their current official position on pricing and availability of the QBE62G.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
MMurphy,

What fun, so many choices. Keep in mind that a large motor like that will completely block your rear vision, additionally, the exaust is higher and will be right next to the body work, requiring a "wrap", which can spoil the look of the "bundle of snakes"

If you have your heart set on a 427, you may want to look at a 351 based 427. it will still block the vision and may require a wrap, but lots have been installed in SPF chassis and the mounts needed are easly available.

Like I said, if you have your heart set on a 427, go for it!

I know I'm very much in the minority on this, but I have a Roush 342R, its a 302 based motor with aluminum heads.

It fits easly into the SPF, (the car was designed for a SBF), does not block rear vision at all, no problems with the exaust/body, plus its lighter, smaller, cooler and quieter. Additionally, I have been told that the smaller motor has a nicer, higher piched exaust sound.

It puts out 450 hp, 425 lbs tourque, and comes with a warrenty. I cant imagine needing more power.

I have put over 25,000 miles on mine with the only trouble being a stuck thermostat.

I'm just trying to give you more options, good luck with your choice, I know you'll like the SPF, its a great car, keep us posted.

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The Ford crate motor referred to here is a 351 Windsor stroker and NOT an "FE", I also believe it has just become available, so I don't doubt that there are no reviews available.

The recent Ford crates have generally been well built and experience with them is usually good. I would not hesitate to use one of these if you want a Windsor series engine.

Both of these are probably fine for street use up to ~500 hp/500 ft-lb. The ZF drops into an SPF (almost), the ZFQ requires some modifications.

And finally, if you do establish a useful contact with Quaife I would be very interested to know their current official position on pricing and availability of the QBE62G.

I personally helped to change from ZF to a ZFQ on a SPF MK2 with a 427 roush engine. no modification where required neither on SPF nor on ZFQ.

Last contact i had with quaife still pointed me to Chris Melia as contact for GT40 boxes

As for the engine. I would defenitely give Keith Craft a call. More bang for the money in my opinion. Besides that i would read into the informations on this forum about full aluminium engines before purchasing one.

TOM

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I personally helped to change from ZF to a ZFQ on a SPF MK2 with a 427 roush engine. no modification where required neither on SPF nor on ZFQ.

No grinding on the ZF to fit the factory shift-cable brackets?

You didn't have to relocate the center-bottom subframe cross bar further to the rear to accomodate the ZFQ? Was it an FE or 351 configuration SPF? And was it an FE or Windsor engine?

Also, did the shifter cable brackets from the ZF transfer over unmodified? Did the speedometer cable reach and connect to the ZFQ properly?

And how recent was the SPF?

Last edited:
No grinding on the ZF to fit the factory shift-cable brackets?

You didn't have to relocate the center-bottom subframe cross bar further to the rear to accomodate the ZFQ? Was it an FE or 351 configuration SPF? And was it an FE or Windsor engine?

Also, did the shifter cable brackets from the ZF transfer over unmodified? Did the speedometer cable reach and connect to the ZFQ properly?

And how recent was the SPF?

ZF was already fitted

No

351W 427

rod shift

don´t know

TOM

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
ZF was already fitted

No

rod shift

don´t know

TOM

OK, then the relocated cross bar may be an FE thing, since everything is an inch further back.

Rod shift is sort of independent of the gearbox; cable shift requires brackets and I don't think the attachment points are the same for the two boxes.

With a ZFQ I believe the speedo cable is too short to reach no matter what engine.

MMurphy, that's a lot of engine for the money. With the alloy block it's probably a pretty reasonable weight. I've been planning a build of a rather unique smaller displacement (331) all alloy SBF (very high revving) but haven't gotten very far having had a couple major set backs. So, I'd be very interested in your experience with this all alloy engine should you choose to go in that direction.

For whatever it's worth, I have a more traditional (iron block) Ford Racing crate engine and the engine itself has been bullet proof. The installation (already installed when I bought the car) has been a completely different situation however...missing bolts in the transaxle adapter plate, missing engine mount bolts, use of poor hardware, etc.

That 427 will put out way more hp/tq than you need - watch out she doesn't get away from you.

Good luck!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
It isn't really a 427, though, is it? Not the way we think of them. A 427 is an FE block engine, and the racing versions were sideoiler blocks.

I think if I wanted one of these I'd try to find an FE block to start with. Just my opinion.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
jimbo;341615I think if I wanted one of these I'd try to find an FE block to start with. [/QUOTE said:
I certainly agree, since that's what I did. They are more costly however, both the engines themselves and the FE version of the SPF GT40. And there is no "FE" version of a Mk I.

I have heard great feedback on Keith Craft and the Ford Racing line, but what about the Roush 427R? Looks like there engines come complete right down to spark plugs and belts.

Hello I have a 427/351w Ford roller race engine in my SC Cobra and will without a doubt be putting another one into my GT40, the engine makes very good HP and torque. As for your tranaxle give Fran a call at RCR he is developing a series of affordable transaxles, That are made for the GT40.
Cheers,

Thanks for all the reply's. I know the Ford 427 offered by Ford Motorsports is a stroked 351 but I was very curious if anyone was running this motor, aluminum block and heads, in order to see how it was holding up and performing. It has also been awhile since I had a motor with solid lifters which really don't bother me as it wont be a daily driver. I have been told air conditioning is a must so I was considering an all aluminum motor in order to help cut weight.
I have a KeithCraft 514 in my SPF Cobra and have been very happy with them and their product. I haven't ruled them out, just looking at all the options. I also want the eight stack EFI for its look and reliability.
Again, thanks for all your reply's,
MMurphy

Last contact i had with quaife still pointed me to Chris Melia as contact for GT40 boxes

As for the engine. I would defenitely give Keith Craft a call. More bang for the money in my opinion. Besides that i would read into the informations on this forum about full aluminium engines before purchasing one.

TOM
is that such engine and type like this one? or is it this one (it for sale in Germany) :D
it says 650ps :shocked:

Dieser GT40 MKII ist eines der spektakulärsten Fahrzeuge die wir in diesem Segment bisher im Angebot hatten.

Bei diesem Fahrzeug wurde exklusiv ein 7.0 Liter 427 IR Rennmotor von KEITH CRAFT Performance Engines implantiert.

Dieser Motor von Keith Craft zeichnet sich im besonderen durch die offene TWM Einzeldrosselklappen Einspritzanlage aus, die dem Motor zu einer Leistung von über 650 PS verhilft. Um den Motor perfekt zu belüften wurde eine TWM Air Box in Carbon verbaut. Alles in allem ein Motor der absoluten Spitzenklasse mit einem wirklich unglaublichen Leistungsvermögen....!!!

Geschaltet wird das Fahrzeug mit einem ZF-5 Gang Schaltgetriebe.

bigr.jpg

That exhaust is nice too to help db down a bit

bigq.jpg

its in this car

bigf.jpg

more info and pics>>

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/fin...=false&bshowstock=False&page=0&lCarID=1823361

Back