Formula Junior..Volopini replica

Life goes on.
Slowly getting some interest back for shed time, I have spent the last 6 weeks accustoming myself to life around the house, making the place `my place` now that I am chief cook and bottle washer. Very rewarding getting to grips with. Painted the lounge and dining rooms ready for new flooring. Sold all the domestic cars and bought a new one..first ever new private car, its done 16k`s and its parked in the garage. Been looking at the Formula Junior and my Covid paint job will make a great undercoat, so it`s a quick fine sand and redo the top coat once the weather warms up. The road going McLaren will stay tucked up until the sun returns and then its the final test drive and registration.
Nothing much has changed except everything!
Thank you all for your thoughts and help.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Thanks for the update Russell. Sounds like perhaps you're working through this fairly well, but lot's we don't know about. Thinking of ya.

Hi all, as some of you know, my life has been given a new direction and
DSCN6922.JPG
DSCN6925.JPG
I have just been getting on with it, so after painting, carpet, new flooring and a big sort out, I have in the last few weeks felt like working back in my shed. So the little Formula junior got it`s `covid `paint job sanded back down and resprayed. I have reassembled the body back on the car in the last week ready for a club shed raid on the 10th. Must say I am quite pleased with this coat of paint, its nor perfect but is more than up to the mark. I have also just built a road trailer for it and it will fit on it inside my shed so all good. The red colour I chose is quite a black red, not maroon nor tomato red.....but just right.

Attachments

• DSCN6923.JPG
    DSCN6923.JPG
    810 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCN6930.JPG
    DSCN6930.JPG
    486.8 KB · Views: 266
I decided to name my car so that `experts` could not say I got some obscure detail wrong! This car is my take on the sprit of Formula Junior and that`s what it was built with. So given that there are Volopini`s, Stanguilini`s and all manner of other linguini`s! My car is a .....Russolini.... Obviously there is a little bit of me in it (Russell).
Well I did an Italian to English translation.....Russo means Russian and Lini means Linen. So that means bugger all but who cares. It was just built for fun.
DSCN6972.JPG

Hi there, hope life is treating you well where ever you are, I just treated myself to another toy. A 2006 2ltr 6 speed Mazda MX5 very similar to the last one we had only less k`s. Flew down to Christchurch and drove it back the next day. Now for some summer fun.
Cheers
Russell
DSCN7051.JPG

Well i thought its time I dropped a line on where I an at now days. Was looking at shifting house so a down size was needed so sold the Mclaren to a really good home in the Sth Island where it keeps company with a McLaren M6gt, a GT40, a Mustang, a Corvette, a Pantera and a few other cars. He is having the time of his life with the car so great decision. My Mazda Mx5 has also gone and another road car. All is not lost as I just replaced the space with an import from Missouri of a 1967 Rambler American 2door pillarless coupe. Really looking forward to seeing some summer in this really tidy classic.
DSCN8494.JPG
DSCN8533.JPG
DSCN8535.JPG

Fear not, the Formula Junior replica is starting to get some use now with some club skids and have just done an open track day. The car has had a cold ever since I built it and no matter what I did, it still coughed. So Friday last it was along to the top tuner on carbs in, Auckland Randel Edgell who was so thorough, checked and set all functions before even touching the carbs...and find we did. The small check valve on the accel pump should have had a small ball in it. 1 was missing said ball but left with a bit of brass swarf. We were confident that was the problem solved. The next few hours was spent jetting testing and dyno runs to get it almost perfect. I would never have found that.....now all i need to do is wait for the bill.
So next it was off to Hampton Downs for a blast, first time on an open track. It drives really well, very responsive and a blast to drive. It`s got a little understeer but that could also be me getting used to it. I also stuck on some sticky better quality road tyres which work a treat. Last run of the day was a no go as it popped one of the rear drive flanges from the diff....thought it was the gear box so very relieved at the easy fix, the boot was pulling on the CV so was very relieved at it all going back together.
My Rambler is in having the brakes serviced getting ready for the compliance check and then I hope its off for a coffee in the cruise mobile!
So yes still alive and well and looking for a suitable property at some stage.
Cheers
Russell

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Russell, great to hear from you. Sounds like you are having a good time with all your cars. I had a 68 Rambler back in the day and it was a blast. Please keep in touch. I enjoy your updates.

Regards Brian

Back