G50/50 or G50/?

I have a guy wanting to sell me a G50/50 gear box and am looking for a little advise. What is the difference between this gearbox and other G50's? I will be running a ls376 mostly street with thee occasional track day. I have read that some porsche trans need a modified starter to turn over a V8, is this one of those transaxles? He is asking $8000, is that average-high-low? any advise would be appreciated.

BTW, the side plate is SPECIFIC for the G50.50, others won't fit. I've not heard of the need for a special starter.

$8000.....depends on condition, whether inverted, oil cooler ports, etc. I had one for $8500 , rebuilt, oil ports, inverted, for example.

Jay

When I first started looking for a transaxle, I did tons of research it seemed like all anybody ever talked about was the G50-50. But then I went direct to the kit manufacturer. To quote this well-respected manufactuer without naming him, he said, "don't let the forums talk you into something you don't need." My application will be street only, and I ended up with a non-LSD G50-05, which he said would be perfect for the street (this particular manufacturer actually recommends against LSD for street use). It cost me less than half, including shipping, of what that guy is asking you to spend on the G50-50.

For what it's worth...

Eric

thanks for all thee advice, the guy doesn't want to come down on price and I am in no hurry anyway. Also I am kinda interested in seeing how the Griffin transaxle testing goes.

Be warned though that some of the parts , like the starter for the G97/50 are $1400 and a two year only part...so not reman or cheap ways around it....trust me I went through lots of parts books and starters to find out the hard way...Griffin is coming...

Ron Earp

Admin
You could use a 930. Extremely strong and less expensive than the G50s. We're really liking ours. With the sorts of motors folks are putting in the cars, and even ours at only 300hp, the four gears doesn't seem to be a liability.

I totally agree with Ron. The 930 is a strong gearbox that is ignored for the most part. I see nothing wrong with a 4 speed. A lot of builders seem to wind up with a useless first gear anyway.

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
$8,000 I hope it's a used 996 GT2 transaxle for that price. CMS is a good resource for information and of course all your trans needs. They might frown if you say you're hooking it up to a Chevy though. LOL. I'd look at other trans options. FFR seemed to use Quaife. Porsche G50s have some inherent weaknesses across specific year groups, and generations. Consider a custom jobber that's been properly built, blueprinted etc. Things like synchros, shift forks, cheap shift cables etc plague G50s. I'm sure with your LS3 you'll be putting in a higher cam and ported heads in no time, so more hp and torque will need to be handled properly. As posted above there is nothing wrong with a 4 speed. I recall orignal GT40s had a 4 speed. 1st was like 70, 2nd 110 etc.

CMS has a post over on the other forum for G96 transmissions rebuilt by Getrag ready to go for for LS engines for $7500. Not exactly sure what that does and doesn't include. But if your interested call CMS and ask about it.

Back