gearing

Randy V

Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com
Please look over our FAQ - in particular rule #2 about the requirement of your real name here.
Link provided below -
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/faq.php

You can make your adjustments using the User Control Panel (User CP on the top navigation bar)

Thank you

Nick,
The gearing alone doesn't really mean anything. People run different tire diameters and transmissions with different drive ratios etc. What rpm are you cruising at on the freeway? For example I am running a 29" tire in 5th on a g50 trans, 2800rpm at 80mph in florida.

What are you doing with your car, track, race, or cruising around? S

And what kind of gearbox do you have? Knuckle-dragger front engined car guys discuss rear end gearing as an absolute because the premise is that their transmissions are running a 1:1 ratio in top gear. However transaxles rarely have a 1:1 top gear, so comparisons become next to meaningless.

In a GT40 with a standard ZF transaxle, top gear is .70 and the ring and pinion ratio is 4.22. But there are .655 and .642 top gears available, along with 3.77 and other R&P ratios. I don’t have any idea about the various other transaxles commonly used but I presume they are just as varied.

So, what is your real question?

NickF

Lifetime Supporter
I want it to pull like a monster in all 5 gears. I am spending 15k on a trans and assuming I need to get nice half axles to handle the 600+hp.

Nick, I’m sure with 600hp it will pull like a beast no matter what gears are in it. The cars only weigh 2100-2500lbs. The reason I stated rpm/tire diameter/speed is that you may not be able to drive it anywhere if you gear it wrong and are taching 3500 rpm at 60mph...... With a 70mph speed limit...... S

NickF

Lifetime Supporter
my hwy speed limits are 70mph, and I usually drive 85. so would I need to be in 5th gear at 85mph around 2500 rpm?

Nick,
A 2500 cruise rpm is reasonable for cruising at 85mph. (I would probably want the rpm to be a little lower going any long trips) Even with a low (.6 something over-drive top gear) and 26" tall tires and a 4.11 r&p you will hit 2500 rpm around 70-74mph........

Which tranny have you chosen that will hold up to 600hp blasts??????? S

NickF

Lifetime Supporter
I am going with mendeola trans and some nice half axles. Found a 27in Avon by 12.5in wide with 15.25in bulge 411 gear