Good bye Locost 7 Hello GT40!!

Have a bit to report but no photos. I have been searching for a demister grille for the dash board for a long time. I found one in Australia it is on the way 20.00au dollars. Also ordered tail lights from the U.K.
Lunch breaks this week have been filled with cutting tubing for the exhaust collectors and working on a welding fixture for my rear uprights.

A box arrived yesterday which contained the replacement one wire alternator I had misplaced. I am going to have to buy or make a v-belt pulley.
Any body have an idea what diameter I should use?

Attachments

• alternator.jpg
    alternator.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 316
Dave:
Looking good so far.
I can tell you I am not a fan of running an alternator at the speeds that most stock setups have....most alternators are running at 3 or 4 times engine speed, and I believe most pulleys are in the 2" diam. range.
I don't know what your power requirements are but I would bet you would do fine with a 2 1/2 or 3" pulley....most of the newer cars need to have good charging with minimal spikes in the voltage for the computer, and have all kinds of accessories piled on so if you aren't in that category, even if you have fuel injection, its probably OK.
The only concern I would have is that some of the newer alternators with internal regulators don't begin charging until you hit a specific RPM...like 3500 or 4000 rpm at the alternator shaft...once that latch happens they will charge down to idle.
A larger pulley will also give you more surface for the belt to grab and hold the belt better.
You can always go smaller if it doesent work.
Cheers
Phil

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
A box arrived yesterday which contained the replacement one wire alternator I had misplaced. I am going to have to buy or make a v-belt pulley.
Any body have an idea what diameter I should use?

Pull your pulley off and measure the shaft.. I think I have a couple out in my shop and can send you one if the shaft hole is right size.

Thanks Randy I will give you a shout when I get it off.

Made a trip to my friend's machine shop today the pressure plate I bought was a little large on the outside diameter and would not fit in the Kep flywheel. The lathe at work would not swing it so paid him a visit. He is going to weld my gas tanks also.
My tail light arrived from the U.K. today. Using defender land rover lights.
Installed the throw out bearing in transaxle tonight.

Today's lunch time project was drilling a 13/16 hole through 4 pieces of plate for the lower part of both rear uprights. A 6" piece of 3/4" OD steering shaft with 1/2" ID will go in the hole and be welded between 2 of the plates on each upright

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Today's lunch break project is a simple one. Cut tubing for the coolant line in the center of the chassis.

Attachments

• coolanttube.jpg
    coolanttube.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 366
Been working on this fixture for a while got some side parts cut out yesterday on lunch break.

Attachments

• uprightjig.jpg
    uprightjig.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 454
Today's mail delivery finally brought my demister grille. All the way from the land down under. It is a bit rusty and a few of the louvres need a bit of tlc. The 40 will now have parts from three continents and the U.K.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 412
Hi Tom:

Thanks you are correct I am enjoying it. if you do not enjoy your build Your missing a big part of it. I like scrounging for parts and getting a good deal. Every time a box arrives in the mail it is like Christmas.

Dave,

Small world! It was good to talk to you on the phone today.

(I ordered some parts for the FSAE racecar today and he answered the phone and asked if I was the Bob Woods with a GT40. I was surprised.).

-Bob Woods

Hey Bob it was good to talk to you the other day.

Been working on a couple parts of the 40 and have been to busy to post. Started mocking up the cooling system down the center of the chassis. Using some old hoses to get an idea of what I need parts I need to do in aluminum an silicone. I will probably use the old to get engine running also then buy new for final assembly

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 355
I have been working on the Gt. the pace has slowed a bit from earlier in the spring. Nothing really to photograph worthy. Completed the rear upright fixture completed and modified the coolant outlet neck ,worked some on the expansion tank. Also working on the seat cushions and covers

Last edited:
Working on the Gt today first time in a while. Doing a few things getting the oil pressure sender plumbed. Installed gasket between carb send intake. Have not been able to find the dipstick tube for my oil pan without paying through the nose, so I have the bits made to fab one up.

Another day of little things electric fan temp switch installed in manifold. The fan relay is also installed in the front of chassis. Started making a wire harness for oil temp,water temp oil temp, fan switch, fuel pump,ignition. Decided on location for the fuse block and main wire harness.

Worked on the dash a bit again tonight. Installed some switches and the starter button. Fire t handle for my A FFF system. Need a couple more switches

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 354
Back