Good bye Locost 7 Hello GT40!!

Dave,
You are making great progress. Steady as she goes. You are getting there. It just takes time. Something some of us have lots of.:huh:

Bill

Dave:
Working on that part soon myself....are you doing your own harness or a bought item? I prefer to go it from scratch, Meanwhile I have not posted in a long while but am very close to finishing the exhaust so I can start engine soon...hopefully next month if all goes well.
I found the wire I needed and opted to go all 14 ga for the light stuff and I forget where I got it but quality stuff with good insulation and about 8 available colors.
You are making good progress.
Phil

Hi Phil:

Started with a 12 circuit pre made harness and universal fan harness with relay. My A/C unit also came with a partial harness. The rest I have to make.

Been working on making collectors

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 306
Added the 20w50 life blood to the engine tonight. Also made another plate with 4 holes for the second collector. Pulley came for the alternator have to remove serpentine belt pulley and install v belt pulley. Working on the dura spark box for ignition. Hope to have a rumble in the garage soon!!!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Looks like you're getting after it a lot better than me Dave! Good job!
Curious alternator pulley with flats on it. I take it that was only way you could lock up the shaft to get the nut off? I usually use an impact gun and even with a loose shaft the nuts burp right off..

Hi Randy: I tried ratchet first. Pulley was damaged in shipping so I just cranked the vise tight. In the end we used an impact came right off.
Kind of bummed out tonight my welder quit working. Did manage to get my header tubes tacked. May just be a day of wiring tomorrow.

Got a few things done today. The main coolant lines are now connected to the radiator. Fuel filter is mounted and so is the coil.

My least favorite part of the GT build has to be wiring. Tedious and mind numbing are two words that seem to describe the process. See I cannot count now!
The electric fans are wired up with a relay and a manual bypass switch if needed. Oil pressure and water temp gauges are wired. Fuel pump is on a relay with a Manuel switch also. Starter works by push button via the key. Fuel Gauges are wired waiting on the fuel tanks. Positive battery cable is connected to the starter along with fuse box through a fusible link.
So I guess a productive day in the grand scheme of things

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Agreed that wiring can be mind numbing...
Hopefully your welder just has a fuse that popped!

Randy:
No fuses to be found welder is a goner. It was 15 years old so I guess it my be time for a new one.
I had put some gear lube in the transaxle but could not get the plug out to check the level. Had to borrow a set of hex tools for a rachet to finally get one large enough. Looks like a quart an a half more should fill it.

Finished welding the header mods I had to make today.

Now have to finish the collectors. I will have to put he rear clam on to get the proper angle for the collectors

If I have done all my basic wiring correctly. I have one wire left to install before I can test fire the engine. It goes from a toggle switch in the dash to the positive side of the ballast resistor. Doing this so I can crank engine with ignition off. In case I need to clear the cylinders.:idea:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If I have done all my basic wiring correctly. I have one wire left to install before I can test fire the engine. It goes from a toggle switch in the dash to the positive side of the ballast resistor. Doing this so I can crank engine with ignition off. In case I need to clear the cylinders.:idea:

Ahhhhh. The SMOKE TEST!!!! :lipsrsealed:

Good luck my friend!!! :thumbsup:

I have decided to use an Aliant lithium iron phosphate battery to fire off the 40. The Aliant X-8 should have plenty of juice to start the almost 400 cubic inch stroker Windsor. The great thing about these batteries are the light weight and versatility in mounting. In case anyone wants the specs I am posting a link http://www.essexparts.com/shop/ultralight-lithium-batteries.html

Attachments

• Battery Pic.jpg
    Battery Pic.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Back