GPS speedo, Speed Hut

Chuck

Supporter
Contemplating replacing the Classic gauges with the Speed Hut / Kirkam gauges.

Speed Hut has a speedometers that either use a pulse or GPS signal.

The GPS appeals to me for several reasons. But I already have a hookup for a sensor if we go that route.

Interested in real life experience with the Speed Hut gauges and any pros or cons between the GPS vs the pulse speedo.

A forum member said the GPS speedo only needs a power and ground connection and that is it. It has an antenna that sits under the dash. It takes a few seconds to find itself and then starts working and he said was right on after that. I'm not sure about wiring up the signal indicator but it all sounds simple.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Here in Sydney , Australia, we have a lot of tunnels which have 80kph speed limits and speed cameras in the tunnels as they are several kilometers long.

It would prove very costly if you had no working speedo in these.

Dimi

Chet Schwer

Lifetime Supporter
I have the Speedhut gauges and love them. I finally have good illumination at night. I can't wait for one of the Smiths/Lucas gauges to quit in my Cobra so I can dump them there also. I went with the pulse type speedometer. Your choice.

I used the full Speedhut Legacy GT40 set in my Triumph and thought they were great.

They don't work in tunnels, but it's a small price to pay. The biggest plus was not having to worry about various wheel sizes / speedometer drive gear changes or anything like that.

The speedos also have a heap of different performance testing functions (0-100kph, 1/4 mile timing, altitude, direction, etc)

Attachments

• DSC03925.jpg
    DSC03925.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 590

Chuck

Supporter
Here in Sydney , Australia, we have a lot of tunnels which have 80kph speed limits and speed cameras in the tunnels as they are several kilometers long.

It would prove very costly if you had no working speedo in these.

Dimi

I see your point. Fortunately we won't be driving to Australia in the GT anytime soon, although I would be delighted to visit. Here in Southern Illinois we have exactly zero tunnels.

Chuck

Supporter
I used the full Speedhut Legacy GT40 set in my Triumph and thought they were great.

They don't work in tunnels, but it's a small price to pay. The biggest plus was not having to worry about various wheel sizes / speedometer drive gear changes or anything like that.

The speedos also have a heap of different performance testing functions (0-100kph, 1/4 mile timing, altitude, direction, etc)

Those look good.

Why type of sender is used with the fuel gauges? Float or capacitance?

How long does it take the speedo to lock on a signal from a cold start?

It used the standard Triumph Float sender from 1969.

From cold start, I'd say about 4-5 seconds until it picked up the signal.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
How good are they in built up areas?
My satnav looses itself in cities where there are tall buildings around it.

They also have speed cameras in these areas!

Ian

Can't say I remember it ever dropping out any place other than tunnels and car parks.

Note in the pic above, the small black lump on the dash is the receiver. They are quite small, and actually looks bigger in the pic than in real life.

The funniest thing about my dash was that I had a 300kph speedo in a Triumph Vitesse Estate!

How good are they in built up areas?
My satnav looses itself in cities where there are tall buildings around it.

They also have speed cameras in these areas!

Ian

Ian,
Can't comment on SpeedHut stuff, but on my road bike I have a Garmin GPS (yes OK, it's leg power, not engine). These units have a backup magnet for when you are in tunnels or areas with overhanging trees and you lose GPS signal.

FWIW, the Garmin also self calibrates wheel size, so would assume Speedhut could do something similar with a dual system?

Tunnels would not be that big a problem, As the tacho is in front of you I find I look at the speedo look at the tacho then just stick to those revs if you are after a constant speed.

Jim

Ultimately though, I think in the UK, it would be illegal to only to use GPS to indicate speed - I could be wrong though.

I thought the ADR was harsher than IVA, so whilst I understand the points on knowing your revs etc, it would be the same situation in OZ?

Ultimately though, I think in the UK, it would be illegal to only to use GPS to indicate speed - I could be wrong though.

I have a Speedhut GPS speedo, which accurately shows speed to within 0.1 mph.
Sure, the needle drops to 0 in tunnels, but that's the only time it's stopped working.
Sailed through this year's MOT without comment.
I'm used to referring to the rev counter to give speeds in fifth gear, because the old SW one under-read so badly. The new speedo confirms the speeds, so in tunnels, I drive on the rev counter.
I also specified a kph ring on my speedo, included FOC, which is invaluable in France.

Chuck

Supporter
Excellent info and tha ks for the feedback.

Does anyone have any experience with the Speedhut / Kirkam gauges that use the pulse pickup? My impression is that it can be easily and accurately calibrated. Just wondering if anyone has real life experience with it.

I have a Speedhut GPS speedo, which accurately shows speed to within 0.1 mph.
Sure, the needle drops to 0 in tunnels, but that's the only time it's stopped working.
Sailed through this year's MOT without comment.

but would it pass IVA? (not that it matters for me, as I have a Smiths Classic Gauge att he moment)

Just trying to clarify.

Back