GT40 Book - Trevor Legate

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
His previous efforts are quite readable. This will probably be just as good. Although my favorite is the SAAC encyclopedia- because it includes my cars :)

Chapter 3: PROFILES

P/1035 A production racing coupe, it was sent to Shelby American but returned to JW Automotive in the UK for completion. Used in series of advertisements for Shell Oils. Currently resides in Japan.

I'll be interested to see if he comes up with any new information about why the four cars were sent back to the UK for completion.

Ah yes, the Collier problem. Sadly folks visit his website and assume that all the information it contains is totally accurate. Instead, it's a site that has information about 'proposed' books or books that are in the course of being compiled and is aimed at other publishers with a view to printing co-editions in other countries. The GT40 book is an idea being discussed, based around a large number of photographs I recently acquired. With luck, the book I have in mind will happen but a lot of things have to fall into place first! And I need a lot more photographs of genuine and replica cars! Any offers? (I did spend a day at Mallory recently with the Gelscoe GT40 - watch out for Motor Sport magazine....)

Regarding the four GT40s that went back to FAV, there was a rumour that some of the paperwork was not in order, but also the GT40 was on the way out in 1966 as the MkII took priority and the MkIV was the next weapon of choice. Shelby had no customers for them. Some parts were cannibalised to keep other cars running but SAI had no requirement for them - they just sat there costing the company money.

Regarding the four GT40s that went back to FAV, there was a rumour that some of the paperwork was not in order,

I heard that rumor, perhaps someone was tried playing games with the customs paper work to avoid paying import duty.

but also the GT40 was on the way out in 1966 as the MkII took priority and the MkIV was the next weapon of choice. Shelby had no customers for them. Some parts were cannibalised to keep other cars running but SAI had no requirement for them - they just sat there costing the company money.

That sort fits with my theory. Given that they were sent to the US just before Sebring and Daytona, I can't help wonder if the rolling chassis were sent as spares (having them on wheels is a convenient way to transport them). After the two races, they were no longer needed.

Back