"GT40" for sale.

Hi guys

I have seen the original Ford Slough drawings (hand drawn in ink and pencil) in there original drawing cabinet here in the UK, I also know that there is a second set of original Ford USA drawings in the US, Superformance purchased copies of these to build their GT.

The drawings Dave Brown has were from an english chap that measured an original chassis.
You will see that some of his tubs have a fuel injection pump cut out in the engine bulk head.

regards

Chris.

Chris,
You have gazed upon the original Holy Grail mate, but where exactly in the US might the original Ford drawings be?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I know Kerry Adams had a set when he had the workshop in High Wycombe here in the UK because I saw them on his big drawing board. And knowing Kerry I bet he still has them. I'll ask him again, but I know he won't part with them.

I've got to make a GT40s.com FAQ and put that question in it. Probably be number one "I'm looking for the blueprints for a GT40, can someone send me some?"

R

Ron ! That was my post..:D, didnt really know to touch the dark side of gt40 with that question..;)

Just I wonder why that part is soo secret.
I had a call to Lotus and they send me a LOT of technical drawings for spare parts (Elise-Exige), without any problem...

I know Kerry Adams had a set when he had the workshop in High Wycombe here in the UK because I saw them on his big drawing board. And knowing Kerry I bet he still has them. I'll ask him again, but I know he won't part with them.

Do you think he wouldn't mind making a copy?:thumbsup:

Thanks for the posts. I've got some good news and bad news on the drawing front. The good news is that Dave Brown of Classic Car Developments in New Zealand, having just completed the third, and completely accurate, hand built monocoque in his shop is currently producing a set of drawings for the more convicted among us home engineering types. They'll come with photos of a chassis in construction etc. He's taking his time completing them as they'll serve as his definative workshop drawings for his business as well as for sale.

If you're interested, you can write to him in NZ. However, considering the amount of research and effort that has gone into producing a full set of legible engineering drawings, there are those who would consider them expensive(depending on your viewpoint I suppose).

I would be up for a set aswell. From my research the problem is not building the sheet metal chassis it's obtaining the steel roof and spider components.

I think that if someone released a real steel mono with steel roof for a reasonable price they would own the GT40 market.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I think that if someone released a real steel mono with steel roof for a reasonable price they would own the GT40 market.

Somewhere, in the dark recesses of my quickly fading memory bank, is a dim recollection that one of the GT40 replicators was working on a steel spider......SPF, RCR?????

It's been SOOOO long ago and I've slept since then, but I don't think it was a dream.......just hasn't happened yet to my knowledge.

Doug

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Somewhere, in the dark recesses of my quickly fading memory bank, is a dim recollection that one of the GT40 replicators was working on a steel spider......SPF, RCR?????

It's been SOOOO long ago and I've slept since then, but I don't think it was a dream.......just hasn't happened yet to my knowledge.

Doug

RCR was working on both steel and aluminum at one time. Seems that price and repeatability was a problem..

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-forum-rcr40-rcr70-p4-mkiv/16830-steel-aluminum-roof.html#post146146

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I would be up for a set aswell. From my research the problem is not building the sheet metal chassis it's obtaining the steel roof and spider components.

From my own experience I know this much :
Apart from forming roof sections there are greater technical issues to consider in building a true monocoque and these are reflected in the final cost. This also includes the design and manufacture of press tooling and workshop fixtures as well as a considerable amount of engineering time.

In addition it should be calculated, that if one intends to build an accurate GT40 the cost of an original spec' engine and fit-out parts will exceed the initial price of the monocoque chassis.

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
No kidding. Cost of four AP 2271 calipers, which are not even Mark I appropriate but DID come on Mark V cars: $9000 when I priced them from AP. Doesn't count rotors, hats, and I'm not sure the pads were included.

Cost of four Wilwood calipers, pads: $760 (same piston sizes, same swept area, forged aluminum, and did I mention far less heavy, so less unsprung weight?)

Having the difference to spend on GT40 bits and pieces: priceless.

From my own experience I know this much :
Apart from forming roof sections there are greater technical issues to consider in building a true monocoque and these are reflected in the final cost. This also includes the design and manufacture of press tooling and workshop fixtures as well as a considerable amount of engineering time.

In addition it should be calculated, that if one intends to build an accurate GT40 the cost of an original spec' engine and fit-out parts will exceed the initial price of the monocoque chassis.

There is always the old school way of making wooden bucks. The steel is only 20ga. or less. It will take some time but it shouln't be a problem

No kidding. Cost of four AP 2271 calipers, which are not even Mark I appropriate but DID come on Mark V cars: $9000 when I priced them from AP. Doesn't count rotors, hats, and I'm not sure the pads were included.

Cost of four Wilwood calipers, pads: $760 (same piston sizes, same swept area, forged aluminum, and did I mention far less heavy, so less unsprung weight?)

Having the difference to spend on GT40 bits and pieces: priceless.

Try this site

Gelscoe Motorsport - GT40 Parts Department

Thay say thay have gt40 parts from the origenal 1965 drawings.

Regards,
Francisco

RCR was working on both steel and aluminum at one time. Seems that price and repeatability was a problem..

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-forum-rcr40-rcr70-p4-mkiv/16830-steel-aluminum-roof.html#post146146

I believe there was some discussion between Rag/Rat rod Randy ( Guy that builds the monster hot rods/trikes etc out of old V16/V12 fire engines etc & owns a CAV. ) & Fran on that subject. Also have talked with a couple of others looking at doing a steel/alloy roof for Mk1... be of no interest to you northerners though.. price wouldnt be high enough:)..

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I believe there was some discussion between Rag/Rat rod Randy ( Guy that builds the monster hot rods/trikes etc out of old V16/V12 fire engines etc & owns a CAV. ) & Fran on that subject. Also have talked with a couple of others looking at doing a steel/alloy roof for Mk1... be of no interest to you northerners though.. price wouldnt be high enough:)..
Jac,
I won't argue with you on prices after all you chaps know all about tin roofs :evilgrin:
My original point was that the FAV spec tub is more complex than the steel roof and neither the tub nor the rest of the project can be done cheaply as some believe.
And it is most definitely not easy.

Back