Haynes GT40 workshop manual

Just to clarify and I was not being perdantic.
1) The MKII is a GT40 it has in most cases a GT40P chassis.
2) The MKIV is not a GT40 its a 'J' Car. The original 'J'car was built and developed in parrallel for the J catergory rules for Le Mans and also for Can Am. It was developed as a replacement for the GT40 that in MKII form had become to heavy and uncompeditive even against the 330P4 Ferraris.
3) The Ford GT program meant things were taken out of sequence. Correct me if I am wrong Jim (MKIV J-6) but I seem to think I read the MKIV was going to called the MKIII and Ford had assigned that name to their road car! Just because it was called the MKIV does not mean it was a GT40 MKIV!! The MKIV was not a seperate car from the original 'J' car but was created by modifying and remodelling an existing 'J'car by Remington and Shelby.
4) Apart from the engine and transmission (the same for the 1967 MKIIB) the MKIV has no common parts with a GT40 MKII MKIII Gulf or MKI!!!!! It has a honeycombed riveted chassis. It was 38.5 inches in height.
5) Ford wanted an all American car and crew to win Le Mans they did this with the Shelby MKIV Dan Gurney and A.J.Foyt in 1967. Henry Ford did not consider the 1966 Le Mans victory an american acheivement with a Anglo-USA car and an New Zealand crew thats why they race in 1967.
6)So I am not being pedantic; I am just clarifing the fact that a 'J' car was not a GT40. The same as a early 260 Cobra is not a Sunbeam Tiger. The same as a GT40 is not the same as a TVR Griffiths. Similar engines do not make the cars the same!!
7) See Gordon Jones and John Allen Ford versus Ferrari for description. And look out for the picture of the J car being remodelled into the MKIV by Phil Remington and the Shelby team.
Regards Allan

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I think they are just finishing up the manual on the evil empire's Death Star first...

It's the force you know....

To be topical, (well almost, D + 1 plus 69 years !) they launched the D-Day Manual earlier this year.

Good idea by Haynes to diversify, with the virtual death of the average person tinkering with their own car.

Regards Steve.

Just got an email from Amazon informing me that my order for the Haynes manual has slid from February 2014 to September 2014. I had my 68th birthday no long ago, hope I live long enough to see this book ship.

Just in case you can't wait for their GT40 Manual, you could get into the spirit of it with this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/McLaren-M23-Manual-maintaining-legendary/dp/0857333127/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378233367&sr=1-1&keywords=mclaren+m23]McLaren M23 Manual: An insight into owning, racing and maintaining McLaren's legendary Formula 1 car Owner's Workshop Manual: Amazon.co.uk: Ian Wagstaff: Books[/ame]

I guess the GT40 book was delayed to ensure this one was published to coincide with the film?

:huh::huh::huh:

Last edited:
I've pre-ordered the haynes manual through Amazon. Don't know if it will make any difference to the print date but maybe if they get high enough pre-order numbers it will speed them up.

I just read in the Classic and Sportscar magazine that Haynes are doing away with their book division.
But the good news they will be continuing with their 'Workshop Manuals' including the GT40.
Regards Allan

Amazon.com is now taking pre-orders for the Haynes GT40 how to manuel, and at a discount. They show due date as Sept 1, 2014

Thanks for flagging this back - UK site is showing August 7 publication but no discount £ 25.00

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Amazon.com is now taking pre-orders for the Haynes GT40 how to manuel, and at a discount. They show due date as Sept 1, 2014

Thanks - order just placed!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Ford-GT40-Manual-Maintaining-Legendary/dp/0857331140]Ford GT40 Manual: An Insight into Owning, Racing and Maintaining Ford's Legendary Sports Racing Car: Gordon Bruce: 9780857331144: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

$24.89 USD

It is published now :

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ford-GT40-Manual-Maintaining-Legendary/dp/0857331140/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407264349&sr=8-1&keywords=gt40+haynes]Ford GT40 Manual: An Insight into Owning, Racing and Maintaining Ford's Legendary Sports Racing Car Owner's Workshop Manual Haynes Owners' Workshop Manuals: Amazon.co.uk: Gordon Bruce: Books[/ame]

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back