Hello from Orange County, CA

Hello all,
New guy here. So when I told my boss that I was retiring back in 2013, he didn’t believe me. So I sold my BMW M6 and bought a motorhome. He believed me then, lol. So I’ve been driving an Airstream Interstate as a daily driver for 5 years now and, I must say, I miss having a fun, fast car. I’ve pretty much had fun cars all my life. My high school car was a hot rodded 1970 Cuda that won 2nd place in bracket two at Big Willie Robinson’s grand opening of Terminal Island Raceway, but a lady ran a stop sign and totaled it. Then my college car was another 1970 Cuda, but this time it was an AAR Cuda (a Trans Am homologation car for Dan Gurney). In between, I’ve been checking off my bucket list with an Audi S6 quattro, a BMW 840, a V12 Mercedes CL600 Coupe, an AMG Mercedes convertible, a V10 BMW M6, etc, but I’ve never owned a Ferrari. I then remembered playing with a light blue colored GT40 as a kid, and it dawned on me that GT40s were kicking Ferrari’s butt back in the day. So I just ordered a Superformance GT40 in Gulf blue (p2358), and I’m ok with foregoing the Ferrari. It’s being trucked down from a dealer in San Ramon, and Roush is putting together a 427ir engine for me. With 560hp in a 2500 pound car, this thing should be a blast to drive. I can’t wait. I got lucky in that I found a new chassis already built at a dealer, along with a new RBT ZF transaxle still in the crate (I understand there’s currently a backlog for the RBTs). I also got lucky in that the engine installer is finishing up 3 other GT40s about the time my roller and engine gets to him. The completion date is around the first week of Aug 2018, which is quicker than I thought. Apparently, Roush makes a GT40 version of their 427ir engine that is pretty much a “drop in” affair. I guess we’ll see how true that is. I also spoke to the current owner of Talbot mirrors and I’ve decided to get a pair of their 4” chromed version with convex glass on both driver and passenger side. The only other major decision I need to make is whether or not to install a KW hydraulic front lift kit for steep driveways. It’s pretty pricey ($5200 installed) and I’m not a rich guy. Any thoughts on this? I’m not planning to track the car much, if at all. It’s going to be my weekend car, but seeing that I’m retired, everyday is a weekend :) Sorry for the long intro, but I am a bit excited, haha.
Thanks and I hope to learn a lot from this forum.
Regards,
DavidM

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com David!!!
I’m not so sure that hydraulic lifts are absolutely essential for the GT’s as most are set up with 5-6” clearance. I guess a lot depends on the slope of your driveway and places you frequent. In the past, I have gotten by with taking transitions at an angle.

Randy, it's a big trade off. The cars look better low, but I have already scrapped my front end going from a parking lot to the street with a 5" ride height. My main concern is how in the world could I have it loaded on a tow truck... in either direction.

-Bob Woods
Tornado GT40 in Texas

My driveway is kind of steep, but not too bad as to scrape if I go in at an angle. It’s the unknown places that I worry about as I intend to drive this car pretty much everywhere. So right now, I’m leaning towards getting the lift installed. Oh, and a couple more urgent things (urgent because my roller is on its way). Do I need to order Olthoff’s RBT needle pilot bearing or just use a bushing, and do you guys recommend McLeod’s throwout bearing with an internal slave cylinder or do you guys get Olthoff’s “clutch slave cylinder kit with bracket, fork, & braided line” for an external slave cylinder? What is recommended here? Thanks!
DavidM

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy, it's a big trade off. The cars look better low, but I have already scrapped my front end going from a parking lot to the street with a 5" ride height. My main concern is how in the world could I have it loaded on a tow truck... in either direction.

-Bob Woods
Tornado GT40 in Texas

One of the things that I do with my coil over shocks is to install a 2” hose clamp, butted up against the spring adjuster.
If the car, for any reason, needs additional ground clearance we would jack the car up to unload the springs - reach in and spin the adjusters down to meet the spring. When the jack was lowered, we found an inch or two additional ground clearance.
We did this with a number of our race cars and it worked well.
Not suggesting this as a cure for speed bumps and driveways - but for the odd occasion where it was to be loaded on a tow truck..

Congrats David, you're going to have a great time with your Superformance. That's quite the counterpoint to the Airstream. You'll have the best of both worlds.

I sold my GT40 and bought a RR Corniche - pretty cushy too. But I'm working on a hotrod in the background so I'm keeping my feet wet with Ford V8 fun. I can understand your urge to get back into the 500+ hp game.

Post pics of the Superformance when you get your hands on her!

Thanks Cliff! I’ve never even been in a RR Corniche. It must be nice. Speaking of V8 fun, I initially wanted to get a Porsche GT4 (also mid engine), but I realized that I’m an old hot rodder at heart. I’m sure the Porsche is a fun car, but I’d miss the torque of a good old American pushrod V8.
David

Last edited:

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
David, Welcome here.

Thanks for your phone call. It's great we live so close to one another, and soon, we'll both have Gulf cars for cruising beaches!

I was glad you found my website and read all the information on continuation cars, and other GT40 information. It was great to hear that you watched every video more than once. Then I asked the question — did you watch the 2013 Thanksgiving early morning video with the surprise at the end. You said it was your fav.

I was happy I was able to answer all your questions on the phone, and since I invited you over to experience my car, I'll look forward to that event.

Cheers, Soulcoaxer, Robert S.

www.gt40zone.com

Thanks Robert,
Yes, your videos were great fun to watch. I also learned a lot from your posts and from talking to you. I appreciate you inviting me over to see your car. I'll give you a call in a few days.
David

The car is coming along slowly. The engine arrived from Roush on Tuesday (delayed because the shipping company lost it for a couple weeks); I ordered the chrome Talbot Berlin 300 Sr. mirrors today; and I already have the full Gulf Racing Livery and the KW hydraulic front lift kit.
55561897-12B7-4864-8ACD-039E2DC745A8.jpeg
411F429D-9A3E-40EF-98F0-FAC7733EC17D.jpeg

Last edited:
Let’s see... slide tab a into slot b, and voila (it’s easy when you have a competent installer, lol)
F03B342E-93D1-41DB-8E3C-1B46359CC5C2.jpeg
8249330A-AFA9-4C60-B39A-415EFBC23FBD.jpeg

Last edited:
Back