HTD Cam drive belts for SBFs

Kevin Box

Supporter
I am contemplating using a HTD belt drive for my 347 but not totally sure of their reliability and would be interested to here from any one who has used one for either a short period or an extended period.
My brain tells me that they should be just the "Ducks Nuts" but my common sense is not quite there yet.
Once you get past the fact that they look real pretty the advantage that I am actually after is being able to advance / retard the cam easily without having to take the front cover off. While initially this is just to get the best out of my cam, I'm sort of interested in their long term viability.

looking forward to your discussion

Thanks
:idea:
KevinB

Have not had a problem with one yet Kevin, BUT they are all track type cars that I have fitted them to and dont have a lot of miles on them..one of my clients has imported several ex nascar 355 motors & none have had issues..seem to thrive on neglect in his case:)....FWIW the only 'weakness' I see in the V8 setup is the actual belt length compared to say a subaru or nissan, with the 'long' belt each belt tooth only sees a drive sprocket [thats the critical one] about one third of the number of times the V8 setup does. The other thing I notice is you dont get any timing variations at various RPM like you do with a chain setup as it wears, thats got to be a plus unless you need a variable valve timing setup!!

i had a jesel setup on a 351. i was thinking like you also, ability to move the cam, etc. the cam designers today have real good programs, so they can tell you real close where to install the cam. i put my cam in, and never moved it or changed it out. they do look cool, how they charge so much for so little i'll never understand, but it is a good setup.

if you are running an aluminum block, note: the block expands more than a steel block, and the belt will not expand like a timing chain, and the belts go on pretty tight. it did a little number on my front cam bearing in the aluminum block. i talked to the designer of my car about this and he said they had problems with the cosworths and the belts they were using at one time. just something to think about.

unless you are going to spin it pretty high and looking for a few hp, $1k can be used many different ways. the bling factor is pretty good though.

Back