HUD - Heads Up Display

Something to consider for the GT40. For such a high performance car, keeping your eyes on the road is paramount. Even a quick glance down into the gauges can see plenty of real estate pass in a flash.

Looking down to shift my GSX-R into high gear over 270 kph had me cover close to 100m of road before I could refocus on the road and traffic ahead. I sure could have used one of these devices. (That was the last time I reached those kinds of speeds... in the city /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

HUD

Well Hershal, my fellow technology and gadget man, whadda think?

I have emailed them with a few questions and will post the reply when I get it.

Seriously cool! It would take a bit of getting used to though, and I think I would preferr it off center, as it would be a distraction looking through the dispay. (for me anyway)!
It would be interesting to know about the legalities of such a device, I cant see the beancounters in Aust approving of it!!

The main problem would be where to put the projector and all its electronic gubbins. The area behind the dash in the average GT40 is pretty restricted. Plus you'd have to cut a hole in the dash to point the projector through.
The output would have to be collimated, that is, focused on infinity, so your eyesight would not have to accomodate from the road ahead to the image on the screen. This is no big problem, as all sights that I peered through when in the RAF superimposed the sight picture on the target quite clearly.
Getting useful transponders and LCD cells would present an expensive and difficult challenge, though.
What sort of info do we propose to put up there? Tacho, water temperature, oil pressure. . . . .?

Weren't there a few Nissan SSS Pulsars with HUD's?
Couldn't somebody rip the necessary parts from the Pulsar and rewire to the ECU, since every 40 with an ECU has an aftermarket one the electronic setup mightn't be too bad, but physically might be a pain.
Just my 2c...
Adrian

I am sorry, but these gimmicks have their place. AND IT IS NOT IN A GT40. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Modern cars maybe, but a 40!?

Looks bloody good though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

J.P

Ron Earp

Admin
I agree, no gimicks.

I don't look down when I shift a car or bike, or fiddle with simple things like trim and mixture in the plane. I keep my eyes outside and I don't think I'd like projected images in front of me.

If you want OEM devices like these look to GM. Them put them on a number of Pontiacs such as the Bonnivelle, Aztek, and some others. Same for Caddy, Buick, and Olds. Mainly in the early 90s and a few late models. I think they mainly displayed speed though.

R

GM has some new stuff coming out though. BMW does too.
Some of them appear to project "over the hood" so you
needn't readjust your focus.

I agree though. IMHO, not in a 40. But, as Howard
says, "It's your money".

Ian

I know this is off topic..but speaking of "gimmicks"...

One of my friends is a bit off-center, and had a serious
problem with people whose windshield squirters shot over their car and hit his truck. So he added a seperate squirter circuit/nozzle pointing forward and whenever he felt he had been "squirted", he'd engage his and squirt
back! Some people just have too much time on their hands...

MikeD

Mike,
One of my friends had his rear wash wipe squirter turned the wrong way (facing the pavement). When he's in town and bored, he "washes" his rear window.....

Brett

Howard Jones

Supporter
At first glance I though that I didn't like the "gimmic aspect" but I would like to have watertemp and oil pres displayed, numerically, up where I can see them better. How much is this thing? Being a OLD biker I have no real need for tach or speed info. Shift by ear or when it quits pull'en and pass everybody should be fast enough. Oh, and I want to be among the first to wish everyone a happy holiday season.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Not for me, although it looks great I think it would be more of a distraction than a benefit. However different ideas and opinions are what make this forum so interesting.

Hi guys,

Here is the reply from my email:

Hello,

We currently plan on having the basic HoloSportÒ HUD ready for general availability around January. It will be priced comparable to conventional gauges at MSRP of $486. We are working on getting distributors up and running. The basic system comes with Tachometer, Vacuum/Boost, Oil or Water Temperature, Oil Pressure, and Volts. Also included is a programmable shift light, a NOS arming and activation light. All of these functions can be viewed at the same time or each separately.

Additional expansion cards w/ senders (included) will be available for $80 to $125 MSRP depending on the function. These include functions such as speed, exhaust gas temp, air/fuel ratio, stereo amplifier temp, and NOS level. There is a limit as to how many of these can be added because the display gets crowded.

The dash unit measures 7"x7"x1-1/4" and we supply all the necessary senders for universal installation. For the individual that wants to mount it flush under the dash we have an under dash mounting system available. This of course requires cutting a hole in the dash.

The image displays directly on the windshield but you need to apply our clear proprietary film (supplied) for the best results. This is to eliminate the distracting double image you often see when something is reflected off of the dash onto the windshield. We condition the optical properties so that you get a nice single crisp image of the display. We also have an optional Tombstone display much like the fighter pilots have in their aircraft. These are available for an additional $127.50 MSRP.

The unit will be available in three-color choices; green, red/orange, and blue. It turns out that due to availability the only color available initially will be the red/orange. We are having the web site updated to reflect this. We have also designed and patented the system to work in daylight. There are two settings because the light required for daylight operation is to bright for nighttime use.

I hope this was informative and thanks for considering the HoloSportÒ product.

Brett Catterall

Anybody know what is meant by Tombstone display?

Hello -

The 'Tombstone' option refers to the angled piece of glass or plastic (or similar) that the image is projected onto.

Normally set at say 45 degrees to horizontal, you see the reflection of the image produced on this, looking through it to the view outside. The HUDs (heads up displays) I worked on were all of this type.

Without the 'Tombstone', the image can be projected onto the car screen altough I suspect image quality may suffer, even with special screen film applied.

You may not think it very traditional in a 40, but if you could blast round a circuit with paddle air shift and hud for warnings etc - I suspect I your mind could focus better on line, braking points etc etc - still seems fun to me! so horses for courses - each to their own, etc etc.

I have been sent a photo of the Tombstone display. It is a little screen that stands on a base. I will email anyone the photo if they are capable of posting it on the web as I do not have a website.

Thanks

Ben,

Not sure if I like the sound of that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif How nice and I don't even know you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I might be flattered if in female form! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You have mail!

Cheers

Here's the Pix of the display mentioned above by Knighton

Ben

Attachments

• 25609-Vintage HoloSport copy.jpg
    25609-Vintage HoloSport copy.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 258
Thanks for posting the pic Ben.

The manufacturer said the base is actually half this size. The Tombstone is a mini windshield if you will, for use in RVs and boats where the windshield is a good distance from the driver.

[ QUOTE ]
Weren't there a few Nissan SSS Pulsars with HUD's?
Couldn't somebody rip the necessary parts from the Pulsar and rewire to the ECU, since every 40 with an ECU has an aftermarket one the electronic setup mightn't be too bad, but physically might be a pain.
Just my 2c...
Adrian

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was the Nissan Bluebird.

Back