Hylomar Gasket Sealer

Any one use this on their intake gaskets? I have never herd of this, but it has been around for a long time. Used exclusively on Rolls Royce aircraft engines. The boys "Down Under" probably can shed more light on this.

We always used it on Mk9 transaxles (Hewland's race version of the VW bug transmission that's been around for a long time and widely used in FFord.) With no gasket or seal of any kind, and always oil on the mating faces during reassembly for a gear change, Hylomar seemed to work pretty well for as long as when the next gear change comes around. I can imagine using it in a clean environment would provide better results.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Any one use this on their intake gaskets? I have never herd of this, but it has been around for a long time. Used exclusively on Rolls Royce aircraft engines. The boys "Down Under" probably can shed more light on this.

It was the only way I ever got my Lotus TC cam covers to seal, and the same for Lamborghini cam covers; both have relatively long runs of gasket between studs. And it comes apart very nicely. I don't know how it is over the long run; I never used it on a daily driver, just on cars that tended to get taken apart repeatedly (why do I keep buying those?).

These days it's quite common in the US; you can buy it at Pep Boys, for instance.

Ron Earp

Admin
That stuff is listed in a lot of British car books as "the stuff to use". I like it fine, but, I was able to get my leaky Lotus 907 motor to seal using good old Permatex silicone gasket sealant just as well. I buy whatever is on sale and pretty much all the sealants have done well for me.

The stuff is well known and very commonly used in the rotary engine community. I've been using it for years myself between the housings for the water seals with good results but never on an intake manifold. It as also very easy to seperate parts and easy to clean off during rebuilds where it was previously used.

Pat

Supporter
Hylomar is excellent. It never hardens and is unaffected by head and petrochemicals. Just apply it in a thin coat over the gasket. I like putting the gasket on a scrap piece of cardboard and spreading it with one (rubber gloved) finger until the surface is covered. You will also be able to get things apart later.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
spreading it with one (rubber gloved) finger until the surface is covered. .

IMPORTANT - Don't get it on your skin or clothing... It's murder to get rid of...

I've used it on Copper Head Gaskets as well..

Frankly - I don't like using it because it's so messy.. I think there are more modern sealants out there that will do as good of a job..

Charlie Farley

Supporter
I'm a little perturbed by the mention of rubber gloves.
I was down at the Nurse today, she wore rubber gloves and
held a tube in her hand.....
I'm relieved ( sic ) to know it comes apart easily !

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Great sealer, and much easier to clean up than an anaerobic (silicone) based sealer. The stuff will wipe right off with an acetone, lacquer thinner, or MEK wetted rag. Try that with silicone.

+1 what Randy said about getting it on your clothes, but that's true about any sealer. Comes right off your hands, though, if you use the acetone, MEK, or lacquer thinner.

Hi,
Lick your finger before spreading it out- stops the hylomar from sticking to the skin.(dont lick after though,it tastes horrible). I,ve used hylomar many times from engines ranging from Rolls Royce Olympus jet engines to the Austin A series engine. With no gasket,if the surfaces arn't flat, then hylomar is useless, where as a silicone sealant will take up the discrepencies in flatness.
Found that using hylomar between the gearbox casing and the engine block on an Austin A series i was always getting oil weepage from the gasket. Changed to using a silicon based sealer on that joint(about 12 thou thick) and never had a problem since.

Jerry

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all

They also put out an aerosol version which you spray both sides of the gasket first and then assemble.

This is the one I prefer and have used for years and have found to be excellent.

Also much cleaner to use.

Dimi

Back