Install question

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Tell me about it. 'Applies to darned near ANY project...including 'fabing' copper drain lines for the high pressure relief valves on a couple of hot water heaters. Ask me how I know...

'Going back to the freakin' hardware store tomorrow...:mad:

Larry,

Every plumbing project requires at LEAST three trips. You will have one fitting that is male vs. female, the wrong size or missing a seal. Any flex lines will be too short. You will not have solder, flux or PTFE.

You will have a full assortment of valve washers but NOT the particular one you need. The packing rope you have will be 3/16" too short to do the job.

And plumbers will tell you "everything you need to know about plumbing: Hot on the left, cold on the right and turds go downhill"

Larry,

A couple of key points...at least from my perspective.

1. You have to be prepared to REALLY tilt the motor forward and then down to clear the bulkhead behind/below the rear window. I would take the dizzy off, and don't even think of trying to do it with your induction on. I ended up using a lift plate on the intake.

2. Connecting the AC will be a slow PITA. I ended up cutting an adjustable wrench in half and turning the fittings about 15 degrees at a time. Finally got it there, though.

3. Be prepared to cut something to get your tranny to fit over the lower rear crossmember. Even then, you might bring a BFH to work over the flange. (there are pictures on this site)

4. Be sure to have the right engine mounts.

5. Have you figured out the headers? Mine weren't labeled. I spent an evening watching TV while I figured out how they fit together. They have to go on in a certain order, so keep track when you take them apart. Somebody probably documented this, I probably wrote it down somewhere.

I thought it was fun.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
This thread would be great if an installation was actually imminent. Instead it belongs in the paddock.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Larry,

A couple of key points...at least from my perspective.

1. You have to be prepared to REALLY tilt the motor forward and then down to clear the bulkhead behind/below the rear window. I would take the dizzy off, and don't even think of trying to do it with your induction on. I ended up using a lift plate on the intake.

2. Connecting the AC will be a slow PITA. I ended up cutting an adjustable wrench in half and turning the fittings about 15 degrees at a time. Finally got it there, though.

3. Be prepared to cut something to get your tranny to fit over the lower rear crossmember. Even then, you might bring a BFH to work over the flange. (there are pictures on this site)

4. Be sure to have the right engine mounts.

5. Have you figured out the headers? Mine weren't labeled. I spent an evening watching TV while I figured out how they fit together. They have to go on in a certain order, so keep track when you take them apart. Somebody probably documented this, I probably wrote it down somewhere.

I thought it was fun.

It's now obvious a BOATLOAD more time is needed than either George or I had considered.

Solely from what you've outlined above, it's also obvious I'd now be well within my rights to 'pull a Steve Harvey', invalidate the announced winner of the bet, declare myself the winner instead - and at least get my $10 back!

('Blew coffee out my nose reading your "BFH" comment!)

Thanks to all for the replies... :pleased: :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Steve

Supporter
I'll be doing an engine/transaxle install this spring/summer. With my skill level you can be damn sure it'll be more than 10 hours to get everything up and running. If I were doing 5 installs, I would bet that the 5th one would take me half as long as the first. IOW, familiarity begets efficiency and speed.

I have the basic skills and have done some research into the specifics on this car, but I'm sure I'll get stumped within the first hour and half to stop and either research or ask for help. Someone with more skills/experience than me (damn near everyone on this site) will be twice as fast at least even if they've never touched a GT40. Someone with comparable experience but with direct experience on one of these will be a further twice as fast (or more).

My 2cents

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I'll be doing an engine/transaxle install this spring/summer. With my skill level you can be damn sure it'll be more than 10 hours to get everything up and running. If I were doing 5 installs, I would bet that the 5th one would take me half as long as the first. IOW, familiarity begets efficiency and speed.

I have the basic skills and have done some research into the specifics on this car, but I'm sure I'll get stumped within the first hour and half to stop and either research or ask for help. Someone with more skills/experience than me (damn near everyone on this site) will be twice as fast at least even if they've never touched a GT40. Someone with comparable experience but with direct experience on one of these will be a further twice as fast (or more).

My 2cents

You are surely my brutha from anotha mutha (an' fatha), sir! :D

Back