Is gt40's important to you - let us know your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Hopefully those that consume most of the forum resources and bandwidth for political squabbles are also willing to fund the site.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Hopefully those that consume most of the forum resources and bandwidth for political squabbles are also willing to fund the site.

Agreed, Mike! That would be the honorable thing to do, for sure.

Cheers!

Doug

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Keith,

I don't log in much these days - really busy.
Sorry to see that the site is in a bit of trouble so sending Ron another ton tonight if it helps.

Mate, you are a diamond.

Keith

I'd be happy to contribute $$, but would rather keep my Lifetime Premier Supporter icon than lose it through one of the lesser levels of support. I see that I am not the only one who prefers a different route:

Same here!

Can this be fixed? Perhaps a "non-specific" contribution option that would allow us to provide financial support without having to use the bronze/silver/gold contribution route?

Cheers to Ron and all who continue to support this great website!

Doug

Doug, here! [email protected]

Paypal to that email address any amount you feel appropriate. Thank you..

Keith

This thread can act as an aide memoire for such time as we have secured the future of the site so please continue with your comments and wishlists. It should be borne in mind of course, that the site is privately owned and so Ron Earp will have the final say in how things are organised, but we all know him as an extremely affable and reasonable man (except at subs time!) so I do hold out great hope that we can fettle the forum to suit all.

I will ask Ron for a regular update as to the financial progress and get back to you.

I am also anxious to hear from those who's voices are never heard, from some of those mysterious thousands of members who browse daily but are never 'seen'.

Speak up! Or forever hold your peace.. :)

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
I do have a very minor concern, though, regarding what I think is an issue mainly reserved for the Politics thread in the Paddock.

Could we do something about the use of such obviously vulgar terms? Here is why I ask and why I think it applies only to me...the educational organization for which I work has placed "GT40s.com" on it's "banned" list and the stated reason is the vulgarity. I know that our organization does not "monitor" the site...so the company that manages the firewall has to be the one that has placed us on their "List of Shame".

I don't have any interest in curtailing any person's exercise of free speech...just want to be able to check in on the goings on throughout the work day between appointments, so I thought I'd ask about the vulgarity issue.

Thanks...and cheers!

Doug

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Doug, here! [email protected]

Paypal to that email address any amount you feel appropriate. Thank you..

Thanks, Keith...now if I can recall my "paypal" account information. I think the last time I used it was to buy the "Lifetime Supporter" membership...that's been YEARS ago!

I'll work on it...it's that important!

Doug

Keith

Thanks, Keith...now if I can recall my "paypal" account information. I think the last time I used it was to buy the "Lifetime Supporter" membership...that's been YEARS ago!

I'll work on it...it's that important!

Doug

Well you could always open a new one, it's dead simple. Anyway Doug, I thought I might tell you this little story of delicious irony. Here's me banging on about supporting GT40's blah blah blah, and I realise my own subs have expired!!

Haha now fiixed :quirk:

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Done, Keith!

$100 sent to the gt40s.com address...and I challenge others (and particularly those who enjoy the political discussions in the Paddock) to match that...put up or shut up, folks, the time to do something is NOW!

Doug

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Well you could always open a new one, it's dead simple.

That's exactly what I had to do, Keith...and you're right, it was dead simple!

Grins over your discovery that your supporting membership had expired...obviously the lifetime supporting memberships don't expire until the holder of the membership "expires"...but do the other bronze, silver and gold memberships expire? Sounds like they must...

Cheers!

Doug

Keith

By the way, it was pointed out to me by a member that people have been advertising commercial events on this site who were not supporters. I have warned an individual and invited him to contribute to at least bronze level. He had 24 hours to respond and hasn't so his 'advertisment' has been deleted.

There's little point in me soliciting money from you guys when you've got people taking the piss. Problem is, I can't be everywhere so please let me know any transgressions. The PM email is working fine, but my direct mail is:

baron at mistral dot co dot uk

Cheers :thumbsup:

Ron Earp

Admin
By the way, it was pointed out to me by a member that people have been advertising commercial events on this site who were not supporters. I have warned an individual and invited him to contribute to at least bronze level. He had 24 hours to respond and hasn't so his 'advertisment' has been deleted.

Gotta be the fellow from pistonheads advertising track days, Feffman I think? He does it everywhere.

I'll report back on funds raised. Thanks Keith for giving it a go and all those that support the site. And yes, two things I don't want to happen to this site is a) it become for profit or b) be sold or run by those outfits that own forums and turn them into advertisement monsters where every key word is a link and ads appear every few posts.

Having a few advertisers like we used to helped a lot and kept things going. But they've all dropped off and I don't have time to chase them. I think they know they can get a lot of bang for the buck just monitoring the forum and PMing or emailing folks. That's fine too, up until the site isn't around and they can't do that any longer.

And lastly, yes, there will always be a paddock. As I've said many times before, if it offends you don't read it. Why that hard? We even installed a mod so you could turn indexing of the paddock off and never see it. Use it. Also, In 2017 bandwidth means nothing, that is, the site and server could handle a few orders of magnitude more traffic than it does now.

Thanks,
Ron

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Good evening gents...
I had run out of cell phone data and was loathe to drop yet another $50 on an already rediculous cell phone bill. I am finally reconnected via broadband...
Hat's off to Keith for the fund raising drive to keep this vital (in my opinion) resourse alive.
I am in agreement about vulgarities being used here. If there's a way to filter them with existing software - it would certainly be welcome. I would be willing to wager that the updated software would handle it without difficulty.
GT40's only here?
I, for one, would not like that much. There are so many Lemans Heritage builds that have been shared here, I would not want to lose them.
The marvelous Scratch Builds including bodywork here are just phenomenal!
Certainly our primary thrust would be to support yhe world of GT40's...
Carry on and support the site as you can - it is VERY much appreciated!

Glenn M

Supporter
I do have a very minor concern, though, regarding what I think is an issue mainly reserved for the Politics thread in the Paddock.

Could we do something about the use of such obviously vulgar terms? Here is why I ask and why I think it applies only to me...the educational organization for which I work has placed "GT40s.com" on it's "banned" list and the stated reason is the vulgarity. I know that our organization does not "monitor" the site...so the company that manages the firewall has to be the one that has placed us on their "List of Shame".

I don't have any interest in curtailing any person's exercise of free speech...just want to be able to check in on the goings on throughout the work day between appointments, so I thought I'd ask about the vulgarity issue.

Are you sure it's not the "Dilemma" thread causing this glitch Doug?! :lol::lol:

Glenn

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
For me this site is very important. I don't log in that often but read here almost every day via "today's posts".

Regarding the content - I like it as it is!!

Other cars / build logs than GT40 - very inspirational and tons of know how.
Technical expertise > unreal (e.g. Jac Mac > thanks once more)
Paddock > sometimes a little out of control but to me (as a German) very interesting to lern about different point of view's (depending on country / topic e.g. Gun Control)

Thank's to everybody helping to keep this site going.

Regards
Markus

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Are you sure it's not the "Dilemma" thread causing this glitch Doug?! :lol::lol:

Glenn

You know, I never thought about that...I have no idea what kind of content our firewall company samples...but IIRC the dilema thread is more photographically “risque” than heavy on the vulgarity. When our firewall banned GT40s the blocked notice specified that it was for “obscene language”.

Could be, though!

Cheers to you, Glen, for thinking “outside the box”!

Doug

Rune

Supporter
I am on the forum every day and have found very much that I could use in my building of a 100% clone of the 40. I made a donate and hope every others also do that. I cannot think of a future without this forum. There are so many nice and helpful people here.

Rune

This thread can act as an aide memoire for such time as we have secured the future of the site so please continue with your comments and wishlists. It should be borne in mind of course, that the site is privately owned and so Ron Earp will have the final say in how things are organised, but we all know him as an extremely affable and reasonable man (except at subs time!) so I do hold out great hope that we can fettle the forum to suit all.

I will ask Ron for a regular update as to the financial progress and get back to you.

I am also anxious to hear from those who's voices are never heard, from some of those mysterious thousands of members who browse daily but are never 'seen'.

Speak up! Or forever hold your peace.. :)

Thanks Keith, I assume you are referring to me? ;)

I'm a long time member but just a browser. I'm still quite a few years off starting a GT40 build but it's always been a dream of mine and my fathers both of us being Ford lovers.

Anyway, enough ramble. I just became a Bronze supporter so I hope that helps out. I'm usually here weekly so I see a huge value in what others are providing.

Cheers,
Scott.

Ed McClements

Supporter
I joined this forum a long time ago, and for a while was a very infrequent visitor. Now that I am finally in a position to start building my own GT40 (have been wanting to build since 2004!) I am on the forum much more frequently. As has already been said, the manners and courtesy on this forum are far more pleasant than almost everywhere else on the internet, and the quality of the technical advice and factual information regarding the original cars is unsurpassed. As soon I have finished posting this message I'm logging-on to PayPal to send some money to Ron for the forum upkeep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back