Is gt40's important to you - let us know your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Keith for your perspective and support for this forum. It’s not about politics as it is the hateful vitriol that goes hand in hand with political debate. You have people in the number one viewed thread on this site gleefully wishing for the colapse of the predidency and a constitutional crisis. That has no place on this forum. As someone who is financially invested in this site and would like to continue that support, I do not wish this sort of distasteful rubish whether I view it or not, associated with my presence.

I'm one who doesn't have a GT, and not sure if I ever will. I do enjoy the build threads (GT40 and other) and plan to build "something" eventually. Could be a GT, SLC, GT-R, Cobra, or ?

I'm willing to chip in to the site, but will the RCR subforum remain a part of it? That would to some degree affect my interest.

As for politics, I didn't even know that existed here as I have no interest in discussing it.

Re: possible elimination of SLC discussion/threads?

Hi Team,

Admins, we'll need a plan regarding the SPF and RCR forums. The threads there will need to be absorbed back into the regular forums. I haven't had time to chase vendors up, just sent an email to them a few weeks ago, but I don't think the manufacturers are interested in those subforums plus they know when renewal time is. I'm reindexing those forums right now which is a good idea to do to sort out errors before we dismantle.

Ron

Ron:
Does this mean that the SLC forum and build history/data information previously on the GT40s site will no longer be available?
This is the only reason that I visit and have provided financial support for the site. I am sure there are many others who share that same perspective.
If you are dropping the SLC discussions/threads, what will happen to the history files? Will they be made into a new site, archived, or something else? What would it take to retain the SLC section of the site? Or is this just a cruel Halloween joke and everything is staying?
John

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
I don’t post much anymore but do and always have enjoyed GT40s.com and that’s why I previously opted to financially support the site. An observation I’ve made in life and business is that entities tend to evolve into the niche they serve. That can either be the key to their survival or demise. In this context there are a few of things that I find puzzling:

1. How does it come to be at a themed car site, the paddock becomes the most traveled subforum?
  2. Why would you come to an automotive forum to post about religion and politics or moreover, anything other than the subject car(s)?
  3. If the issue is forum (financial) support, why would you cut car content subforums and the membership they attract yet defend and maintain a paddock in the form it apparently exists?
  4. Any strategy that creates a material division in its supporters is a bad strategy for maintaining their support.
-Just muses from afar.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I'm very sorry to see that the site continues to lack sufficient financial support. The site is very valuable to me, especially since Superformance is so incredibly poor at providing any meaningful content and technical updates to its owners.

I see that the Superformance section is no longer shown on the site. Is there a reason for that?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I'm very sorry to see that the site continues to lack sufficient financial support. The site is very valuable to me, especially since Superformance is so incredibly poor at providing any meaningful content and technical updates to its owners.

I see that the Superformance section is no longer shown on the site. Is there a reason for that?

The distributor has not seen fit to renew support for the forum at this point. We (Time Machines) are looking at and talking to Ron about taking over the SPF forum, but at this time Ron has elected to remove the separate SPF forum for now.

Understand that the costs involved would be borne by one dealer and one dealer alone. As I have really only ever sold ONE GT40 directly from the forum, this is big leap of faith. I would ask those who really, really care about a separate SPF forum to post and indicate so. Otherwise the previous posts will be disseminated into the related forums. I am happy to support those who need/want the info available here, but if the interest is not sufficient I will let it go.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Very well said. Thanks for stating what others are thinking in a much more eloquent way than I was able to do. We apparently have lost the SPF section but retained a section that does nothing but divide what otherwise is a great community. A very poor trade IMHO. Maybe there are other options for those that truly seek a community dedicated solely to these great cars.

I don’t post much anymore but do and always have enjoyed GT40s.com and that’s why I previously opted to financially support the site. An observation I’ve made in life and business is that entities tend to evolve into the niche they serve. That can either be the key to their survival or demise. In this context there are a few of things that I find puzzling:

1. How does it come to be at a themed car site, the paddock becomes the most traveled subforum?
  2. Why would you come to an automotive forum to post about religion and politics or moreover, anything other than the subject car(s)?
  3. If the issue is forum (financial) support, why would you cut car content subforums and the membership they attract yet defend and maintain a paddock in the form it apparently exists?
  4. Any strategy that creates a material division in its supporters is a bad strategy for maintaining their support.
-Just muses from afar.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Ron Earp

Admin
Folks,

Thanks for all the support for GT40s.com. We have enough money to develop the site and I’ll get that process underway around Thanksgiving. Our goals are more processing power for the server (it seems slow on my machine with build threads), new software, and a more secure site that can fend off hackers and robot spammers. Maybe it’ll have a new look too.

The SPF section is not lost. It is turned off. Why? SPF hasn’t paid the bill. If they don’t pay the bill we’ll disperse the threads but the information still isn’t lost. After all, SPF is just another GT40 replica and without direct manufacturer support the threads might as well be in the proper technical sections for GT40 tech. In retrospect sponsored forums might not have been a good model for the site but that boat has sailed. I’ve sent SPF a final email asking for sponsorship.

Sponsorship in general is a touchy topic. We need sponsorship to foot bills but we don’t want to turn the site into a sea of side bars, flashing ads, and whatnot. I think we have a good balance here though, about as good as will be found on a car site, and I am not actively seeking to change it. If know of a company that might be a good sponsor for GT40s.com approach them on our behalf if you feel comfortable. Sponsoring Vendors or vendor banner ads are a great way to support the site and if you bring one to the table you’ll get free supporter status. Info is here: Sponsoring Vendors/ How to Advertise on GT40s.com

And…..The Paddock. This forum will have a paddock. Why is it popular (I actually don’t know if it is or not, just paraphrasing)? Hell if I know, but if it is then it’s because the members and users of this site have made it so. I don’t mess around down there much so don’t know what actually happens but a site needs a place for friends to discuss non car subjects and it keeps that crap out of the main forums. Don’t like it? Exercise some self-restraint and no clickly linky. It’s easy. The paddock is already not indexed in the New Posts link so if you are in the Paddock it’s because you have chosen to seek it out.

Again, thanks for all the support to keep this site afloat.

Ron

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks, Ron.

When you say SPF, I assume Lance Stander is the decision maker there?

SPF is only shooting itself in the foot by not paying their bills for the forum. Their owners' website is almost impossible to read (blue and red text on a black background?) and contains little valuable and timely information.

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
And…..The Paddock. This forum will have a paddock. .....so don’t know what actually happens .......Don’t like it? Exercise some self-restraint and no clickly linky. It’s easy.Ron

Your house your rules Ron, but believe it not, your site is colored by its content and that includes the content of that section and the topics and language contained therein. Most vendors screen sites for such and that type of content is often an automatic no for sponsorship. IMO and of course FWIW, whether one frequents the sub forum or not, a lawless zone is a poor substitute moderation and bad business, so could be a related factor to the financial condition of the site.

Best,
Kelly

Ron Earp

Admin
Your house your rules Ron, but believe it not, your site is colored by its content and that includes the content of that section and the topics and language contained therein. Most vendors screen sites for such and that type of content is often an automatic no for sponsorship. IMO and of course FWIW, whether one frequents the sub forum or not, a lawless zone is a poor substitute moderation and bad business, so could be a related factor to the financial condition of the site.

Best,
Kelly

Kelly,

I can assure you the Paddock has no bearing on sponsorship from the sponsors that I know and have dealt with over the years. The only impediment to the forum obtaining sponsorship is basically me. I simply don't have the time needed to chase vendors around for a $800 check. It involves many emails, sorting out checks cut incorrectly, and all sorts of things but that is the nature of "small businesses" and "not for profits". I'm grateful for the sponsors and their support of the forum but as we all know running this site isn't a paid position. And, I don't think we want the site to be a commercial enterprise, at least, I know I don't, so we'll put up with the hassle from time to time.

Take care,
Ron

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I'm not trying to kick a dead horse and it is your site Ron but I have to believe that readers and sponsors viewing some of the completely crass political comments and arguments are immediately turned off by that. I am. I think the paddock is great for non car related discussion but the political snarking is unbecoming of this fine site of yours.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
...I have to believe that readers and sponsors viewing some of the completely crass political comments and arguments are immediately turned off ...

GEEZ, Mike, I’m sure you’ll be not only be surprised to hear that we agree on something :thumbsup: , but also dissapointed in the resolution I support:

What would be wrong with just cutting out the “crass” comments? We’re all adults, can’t we control our own actions? I know I try to state my position as politely as possible, trying very hard to avoid insulting anyone in doing so. I guess I could have slipped a few times, but my memory has always been bad and if I have truly insulted in a crass manner any of our members, I’d be only too happy to apologize publicly.

Cheers!

Doug

Last edited:
There is a paddock?
Hmmm.... might have to check that out. When I log in I just check on "new posts". Nothing in the paddock has ever showed up there for me.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
There is a paddock?
Hmmm.... might have to check that out. When I log in I just check on "new posts". Nothing in the paddock has ever showed up there for me.

Here's why the paddock doesn't show up in the "New Posts" section:

Folks,

Thanks for all the support for GT40s.com.

And…..The Paddock. This forum will have a paddock. Why is it popular (I actually don’t know if it is or not, just paraphrasing)? Hell if I know, but if it is then it’s because the members and users of this site have made it so. The paddock is already not indexed in the New Posts link (Doug's emphasis on the underlined/bold comment) so if you are in the Paddock it’s because you have chosen to seek it out.

Again, thanks for all the support to keep this site afloat.

Ron

I had wondered why our recent posts on the Paddock section were not showing up in the "new posts" section, too.

Cheers!

Doug

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
I had wondered why our recent posts on the Paddock section were not showing up in the "new posts" section, too.

Cheers!

Doug

Posts in the Paddock have not shown up for many years in the New Posts link. Like I said, you have to go looking for the Paddock. And if you go looking for it, well, then you're interested and thus shouldn't complain about threads you went out of your way to read.

Most forums have something similar to the Paddock. My two favorite forums to visit other than GT40s.com have Paddocks of some name or another and there are more threads in those subforums than any other subforum. Does it detract from the racing discussions happening? Not in the least as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes I participate, sometimes I don't, but I know what forum I'm going to for my SCCA/NASA/LeChump racing discussions regardless of topics.

Bottom line is most people would rather discussion world topics with people they know. It's a family.

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
For me like overseas far from UK/USA, it is indeed valuable to have any info. to keep my GTD40 live!
Thanks

And…..The Paddock. This forum will have a paddock. Don’t like it? Exercise some self-restraint and no clickly linky. It’s easy. The paddock is already not indexed in the New Posts link so if you are in the Paddock it’s because you have chosen to seek it out.

Well said.

Glad to hear this site will continue. Some great content here, much appreciated for sure.

Ron, Keith and others managing the forum,
I have sent in a few bucks to the paypal address from ken_b*** email. keep it for whatever is needed like a coffee. I will set myself a plan to help with more $ in the near future. I love the forum and the awesome folks that make it up!

I have also sent an email about banner ads. not sure if any saw it yet. Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back