Is it REAL?

I've had the GT on the road less than 1 month. In that time, I've put almost 1800 miles on it. It is almost (but not quite) as fun watching people's reaction to the car when they see it, as it is driving it.
Driving it is a real blast.

The wife and I stopped at the local Pizza place on the way home this evening. A car followed us into the parking lot. A middle aged guy got out and his first question was "Is it real?". I just looked at him for a few seconds, ready to say that it felt pretty real, when he added "or is it a replica?". He seemed disappointed that it wasn't an original car. He asked, as quite a few people do, what chassis the car was on and what engine was in it. Then, he got in his car and left. At least the car looked real enough that he followed us into the parking lot.
Go figure.

Ron Earp

Admin
Dave you near Philly? I go there for business and would love to see your car sometime.

Real what? Grrrrrr

Best,
Ron

My response to that question usually depends on how it was asked - if the guy's being a buthead I usually say "oh no, it's mostly Silicone, but the wife sure seems to like it" then I wait about 1/2 a heartbeat and look a little surprised and say "Oh! you meant the CAR!!" By this time the aforementioned buthead is looking for any exit he can find and I don't even have to answer the initial question!

If the person asking is truly interested, I just say - "no, it's a hand built replica" and go from there.

cheers

If most people have to ask if it's real then they wouldn't know a real one if it bit them on the a--! Generally I say yes, it's real. If they ask if it's original then I say no it is a replica. perhaps we all may be a tad sensitive to this type of questioning but I think the fact that the replica GT is there in front of them and they can't tell the difference says enough.
People still have the old stigmatism of the kit as a fiberglass rebody on a VW floorpan. Too bad they don't get it that todays kit car is way beyond that image.
Today more than 38% of all street rods are not real steel old cars but fiberglass reproductions. I don't think anybody asks them if their street rod is real. It will be a long time before we rid ourselves of this stigmatizm. I guess we will have to endure the "is it real" question for years to come.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just like boobies, if you can touch it it's real.
Or just say yeah, real expensive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
John

Or real expensive, real fast, and a real blast... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Rob
"Life begins at 40"

When I drive my Cobra, I am always asked the same question! My response is, "the engine and the transmission are real,,,the rest is fake, care to drag race??" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The GT is different story,,so far everyone has asked me if it's the new one from FORD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

My response is no, it's the old one from Ford /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John, I like your's the best,,,,I am gone use it from now on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The other day on my way home from work a guy driving a new Corvette with his son followed me several miles to my house to check the car out. It's fun but I'm more used to being stalked by girls. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The last time someone asked me this question, I said: "Try it..."
He was so excited about it that he sudden forgot his own non important question.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

For those who are truly interested and ask "Is it a real

one?", the reply is, "It's a real hand built replica.", to

which they reply, "What a cool car!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

For those who ask, "That's a replica, isn't it?", I

reply, "If you don't know, I'll let you decide...."

That along with a puff of tire smoke as I pull away, seems

to shut them up! They always seem to pull back alongside in

traffic, with thumbs up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Isn't that a great problem to have.... how to respond to questions about such a cool car... I frequently get the same question about my GT350 Shelby Mustang... Is it original? The answer... No, it's as far from original as I could make it...

mardyn

I have been asked the "Real" question only once, and my reply was, "It must be real becuase it drained my Bank account REAL Fast!"

Vic

CAV 40

TO quote Ray Christopher of GTD fame,
" It's one hundred percent genuine... fake"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My usual reply is that it is a custom built copy of a famous Ford race car out of England. I have never had anyone disapointted with the answer or think any less of the car.

The people I've met so far seem to fall into two catagories. Those that know exactly what a GT40 is, and those that don't have a clue. Of those that do know what it is, only a few ask if it is original.

I guess what set this guy apart was that he knew what it was, but seemed to be totally put off that it was a replica. He asked if it was on a VW chassis and never got close enough to really "look" at the car. As others have said, I kind of doubt if he would have known the difference anyway.

Irregardless, I didn't build the car for him or anyone else. I built it for the wife and I... and the car gives me an instant grin every time I drive it. Being truthful, I'd just as soon keep it moving as stop and draw a crowd. Stopped or moving, it attracts attention. People will ride behind or beside you for miles on the Interstates looking, then give you a thumbs up on the way past.

99.9% of people could care less if it is original or a replica. They just appreciate the car for what it is.

Ron, I'm not too close to Philly. I'm midway between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg, just north of the Maryland/PA border. If you ever travel through the area, you are most welcome to stop by.

The wife and I had to go to Baltimore a few weeks ago with the truck/trailer to pick up a car. Just east of Frederick on I70, a 40 passed by going west. Yellow with black stripes. Someone else told the wife they saw it in the Frederick/Hagerstown Md. area recently. No idea who it is, but as with all 40's, it sure was pretty and grabbed your attention.

I like to keep moving as well, mostly on the highway and out of traffic. I usually buy gas in a 6 gallon can and fill the car at home to avoid yaking at the station. However, I love to yak at cruise nights and shows. Keep your distance from the "ride-along buddies". They will gawk too long, sway towards you, and you will end up taking the shoulder to avoid them. My older brother once told me "don't watch people watch your car", he lost a few special ones that way.

I was at the Geelong Speed Trials earlier this week (a historic drag-racing event) where a very early New Zealand GT40 replica was competing. During one of its runs, the voice over the public announce system commented that "it was nice to see a real one of these things". We sat back and had a chuckle and enjoyed the extra demonstration runs it consequently got.

Also earlier this week, a client called to tell me of an article that he had read about a GT40 that was competing in the Adelaide Classic (a road event for enthusiasts with cars of interest). The article said that the car was worth about $2 million. "Does that mean that you are a multi-millionaire too?" he asked. "Unfortunately not" I replied "I did it the hard way and built one myself".

Back