James' GT-Forté scratch build GT40 MkI

Lathes are great, I spent nearly 4 days straight machining up all the spacers and bushes I needed for my car.

I'm about half way through setting out the lower chassis rails. It's great fun putting all the pieces together - like building a giant Lego set :).

Attachments

• IMG_8642.JPG
    IMG_8642.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_8644.JPG
    IMG_8644.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 677

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Hi James,

It's nice to see you are making progress. Keep on it!
Now, Lego... that is an interesting idea.

Renato

Cheers Renato

I don't think I'll be able to match your pace, but it's definitely good when things start coming together!

Hi Michel - I'll be MIG welding it.

All the lower chassis rails are now in place. I've just spend the evening cleaning all the ends / joints up ready for welding.

The blocks will obviously hold everything in position laterally and I'll put additional clamps down to stop any vertical movement when tack welding each area.

Attachments

• IMG_8653.JPG
    IMG_8653.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_8654.JPG
    IMG_8654.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 758
please can you tell me what firm you went with for the plans, and are you still going to use the audi motor. many thanks.

Hello James
Nice prep !
I did same wood blocks to weld my 908 chassis using laser cut tube and i noticed that after tackwelding no move at all so it's asimpe and very efective system
Only thing I did is once the base was tackwelded form upside , carefully I puul it off and tried to tacweld as much as possible down side to be sure that when welding others step floor tubes will not bend .

Keep on your good work !!

Hi Jem. The plans were from GTS. Darren's now doing a chassis pack which includes all the rails pre-cut with notches / holes so that the chassis can be 'slotted' together ready for welding up, which looks pretty cool. Yep, engine is an Audi 4.2 - got it sitting in my garage ready for stripping down and re-building.

Thanks Michel. I've got it all welded up now. Really pleased with how little distortion there was. It's quite a bit of work setting all the blocks up, but worth it when you take them out and the rails stay where you wanted them! I'll dress the welds next and then add a couple more pieces (flat strips under seats and engine bay cross bracing) then that'll be the lower section all done :).

Hi

Finished the lower chassis section now. Think I'll have a beer or two tonight to celebrate :).

Attachments

• IMG_8834.JPG
    IMG_8834.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_8835.JPG
    IMG_8835.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_8836.JPG
    IMG_8836.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_8837.JPG
    IMG_8837.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 594
Very neat and nice work !!
Now start's the real pleasant work to do ; welding tubes perpandicularly to a newhorizontal step so the baby will take some volume!!! LOL
Keep on this good work ; congrats

Cheers guys. Bit more 2d work to go first though... I can make the middle rails in one section on the build table separately, then join the lower and middle sections with vertical / triangulation pieces. Then I'll be able to sit 'in' it! Ha :)

i've been researching a gt40 build for a year now and have just started to put some of the thinking/planning into action.

i picked up the body from darren at gts yesterday with a 550 mile round trip. I'm really pleased with the quality of the body, and many thanks to darren for helping to get all the parts into the transit van – it was a very tight fit!

i'm going to build the chassis following the gt-forté plans. I just need to finish off another project so i've got some space in my garage to set up the build table etc.

the body has gone into off-site storage – hopefully it won't be too long before it can go on a chassis :).

just wanted to say thank you to everyone else on this forum. The build logs, posts and generosity of time & information are probably the main reasons i feel i can take on the project.

i'll try and keep the build log up to date. I'm planning quite a lengthy build, so the frequency of posts probably won't be that great!

cheers
james
body vendor contact info request phaucility at g mail . Com

I've been researching a GT40 build for a year now and have just started to put some of the thinking/planning into action.

I picked up the body from Darren at GTS yesterday with a 550 mile round trip. I'm really pleased with the quality of the body, and many thanks to Darren for helping to get all the parts into the transit van – it was a very tight fit!

I'm going to build the chassis following the GT-Forté plans. I just need to finish off another project so I've got some space in my garage to set up the build table etc.

The body has gone into off-site storage – hopefully it won't be too long before it can go on a chassis :).

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone else on this forum. The build logs, posts and generosity of time & information are probably the main reasons I feel I can take on the project.

I'll try and keep the build log up to date. I'm planning quite a lengthy build, so the frequency of posts probably won't be that great!

Cheers
James

[/QUOTEBODY VENDOR AND CHASSIS PLANS CONTACT INFO REQUEST

Sent you a PM with the contact info.

I've been researching a GT40 build for a year now and have just started to put some of the thinking/planning into action.

I picked up the body from Darren at GTS yesterday with a 550 mile round trip. I'm really pleased with the quality of the body, and many thanks to Darren for helping to get all the parts into the transit van – it was a very tight fit!

I'm going to build the chassis following the GT-Forté plans. I just need to finish off another project so I've got some space in my garage to set up the build table etc.

The body has gone into off-site storage – hopefully it won't be too long before it can go on a chassis :).

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone else on this forum. The build logs, posts and generosity of time & information are probably the main reasons I feel I can take on the project.

I'll try and keep the build log up to date. I'm planning quite a lengthy build, so the frequency of posts probably won't be that great!

Cheers
James

[/QUOTEBODY VENDOR AND CHASSIS PLANS CONTACT INFO REQUEST

Back