Jason's Coyote Powered RCR40 Downunder

Jason,
What you have done is about the same as what I did with my side mirrors as well. I have actually the same mounting for the RX 7 mirrors on my 40. I did them for the widowless and window version, so that I can have them mounted no matter if I am driving in the summer or winter.

Bill

That's funny. It is amazing how little buffeting there is at speed without side windows in a GT40. In Australia unless it's raining I won't fit the side windows.

Is that 379.8KW or 249.5KW?

If it's 379.5, then that's about 510 rear wheel horsepower (assuming this thing isn't converting to estimated flywheel). If it's 249.5, that's about 335 RWHP at very low (for this engine) RPM and I am sure it has a lot more than that in it.

This is of great interest to me as your numbers should be, roughly, what I get as well. You went Innov8 for the intake solution and I believe Competition Cams camshafts. I opted for the Cobra Jet intake from Ford Racing, the Ford Boss cams and a max CNC port and hand polish and a little other internal trickery. I was conservatively estimating 475 RWHP, but hoped to break 500.

I know this wasn't a performance tune, but our engines should pull to above 8,000. I know mine should make max power around 7,800. Yours should be similar to that.

Very glad you shared this Jason. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would not take anything from that run, its not close to final as revs were low and the CHT was affecting advance a lot.

Agreed. Your max HP should come well above that 6272 RPM on the video once it's tuned correctly.

Here is a reference for a stock Boss with the Ford Racing Cobra Jet intake. My guess is that you will see even better numbers from the InnoV8 setup at around the same RPM range once it's all said and done.

Note that I did notice your collector venturi seemed a bit small for the calculations I ran. I'm running 1-7/8" primaries (I think the same as yours) but my collector has a venturi neck down to 2.75" going back out to 3-3/8". Yours appears smaller than that. If you don't get the numbers you want, that's the first place I would look unless it's just the camera angle making it look smaller?

Attachments

• RP1213INTAKE-10.jpg
    RP1213INTAKE-10.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 391
My venturi is down to 2-5/8" and then to 3" so yes its a bit smaller than yours. Mine was all calculated by Burns Stainless in the USA. It will be interesting to see what power I can eventually get.

My venturi is down to 2-5/8" and then to 3" so yes its a bit smaller than yours. Mine was all calculated by Burns Stainless in the USA. It will be interesting to see what power I can eventually get.

Burns makes good equipment and I think 2-5/8 is probably perfect for this setup. That size should allow for 520 flywheel horsepower give or take 10 or so. My guess is you will get it too. InnoV8 has a very good product from everything I have read.

Really looking forward to seeing this with the next tune. Well done Jason. Great looking car.

I have a Ricardo transaxle that's running very well but I just have one intermittent issue. This issue occurred as soon as the car was finished so was likely in the box when I got it. So the issue is when changing from 3rd to 4th I sometimes cannot engage 4th. It feels like a hard block at the selector/shifter. I can wiggle the shifter while trying to engage 4th but it will not go in. There is no synchro whine or anything. I can go down the gears and up and still get blocked. The only way to engage 4th when this happens is to engage 5th and then go back to forth. Going to 6th does not help. After getting 4th engaged the box works for a variable time (can be for many 3rd to 4th shifts) and then baulks at 4th again for no apparent reason.

I have also observed this even with the car at standstill not running. Again exactly the same symptom and engaging 5th is the only way to get 4th. The only other thing I have noticed is an occasional small gear dog ring crunch from 2nd to 3rd as if I beat the synchro as the shift has an intermittent uncharacteristically low to no synchro resistance. I do not know if this is related. As the main issue 3rd to 4th issue is a simple non cross-gate change this is most surprising. I posted the questions below on the Ford GT forum as they have a lot of good Ford GT (where my transaxle came from) tech. There were some good relies but no fix. Any offers to send it back to the USA were obviously very expensive.

1) I cannot see any selector anomalies or adjustment issues with the ford short shifter or cables. Can this be some sort of cable/shifter adjustment issue?
2) Is it worth pulling the selector housing assembly off the side of the transmission and looking for something on the selector assembly? With an intermittent issue this could be hard. I don’t even know if it is possible to peek in that part of the box without major disassembly.
3) Could it be an internal gear stack issue where a stack is moving in a way it’s not designed to and fouling the change?
4) Could it be oiling? I am using the OE coolant but have fitted an external cooler.

While a few people gave me some options they all involved getting the box out and pulling it down. So before I took this route I decided to have a look myself. Thinking about the issue I thought it would be best to look at the selector assembly as the issue could be there. Inspection of all the detents showed no issues. So off with the selector housing on the side of the transaxle. I could not see any issues with the selector assembly. So a peek into the box :shrug:

And what did I find, the 3/4 selector bush had fallen out of the selector!!!!! Hoorah :thumbsup:

You can see it highlighted in yellow below and the original image after that.

Ricardo-Trans-Problem-1.jpg

Ricardo-Trans-Problem-2.jpg

I have also attached a link to a video of the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoZ075ZPlDw

So this explained the symptoms perfectly as it jammed when the bush fell out as the bush then became a spacer and worked when it partially slid back in. Selecting 5th pushed the bush in a little and then selecting 4th was possible, I am so happy I found this.

To fix it I cleaned the bush and selector bore with brake clean while not getting it in the gearbox. I used Loctite® 620™ on the bush and tapped it securely back into the selector bore. It took a bit of tapping so its not a loose fit and should not come out again.

Thanks to all those I contacted that had ideas about the issue. None guessed this one but your support was appreciated. Now off to finishing other little things on the car. I'm so happy to have fixed this. If anyone has this issue this is an easy fix.

Last edited:
The most embarrassing part of that video is the high pitched voice is mine! We were breaking traction in 2nd gear and only revving to 5000 RPM as I was still breaking in so it was pretty funny.

Jason,
That is the voice of pure joy realizing that after (X) years of effort it works and you can finally do things like spin up the tires. Just because.

Pretty damn cool.

PS Thanks for the repair info on the Ricardo (hope I don't need it)

Before I trash this thing as I'm putting a lot of miles on it I thought I better get some photos (videos are coming)! They are large image files so enjoy.

Studio-1-large.jpg

GT40-Open-2-large.jpg

GT40-Open-3-large.jpg

I have some more if you guys want them so just ask.

Back