Jimer's Build

SL-C Progress-Week Ending 09-27-2013:
We fitted the center section of the body ( about a half a dozen times) onto the chassis (pics. 001, 002, & 003) to make necessary cuts for stand-off's, brake fittings, coolant hoses, etc.

My back ordered Graziano braces and shifter/cable bracket arrived. Here's a couple of heads-up for you Graziano builders just now receiving there parts.
FYI Graziano support braces:
  1. All these months of staring at the Graziano I never realized that the Graziano is off-set and not centered. Therefore, the braces are not the same length. The longer arm goes on the drivers side (ask me how long it to figure that one out). That little piece of info should save you so time.
  2. The 4 bolts on the gear box bracket are symmetrical; so that means it could bolt up any of four different ways. Again, having never seen a Graziano and not having a manual, I guessed wrong a couple of times; (see pics. in post #97 for the correct orientation) and I still guessed wrong about which side the support brace went...inside or out side!

FYI Graziano cable linkage bracket:
  1. The 3 mounting bolt you will need are 8mmX20mmX1.25 pitch.
  2. The holes on the bracket do not line up with the tapped holes on the Graziano; therefore, they must me enlarged.

I also just received the back ordered clutch and fly wheel for the Graziano but can't do any thing with it until Fran gets me the rest of the missing Graziano parts. I can just imagine how much fun that will be without any instructions!

I have to walk away form this project for about a week to regain my sanity; other wise I might do something rational....like burn it!:rifle: This just isn't turning out to be the fun project that I was so looking forward to!

Talk to you all in about a week. Better luck with your builds!
Jim

Attachments

• SL-C Build-Week Ending 09-27-2013 001.jpg
    SL-C Build-Week Ending 09-27-2013 001.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 578
  • SL-C Build-Week Ending 09-27-2013 002.jpg
    SL-C Build-Week Ending 09-27-2013 002.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 471
  • SL-C Build-Week Ending 09-27-2013 003.jpg
    SL-C Build-Week Ending 09-27-2013 003.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 520
  • SL-C Build-Week Ending 09-27-2013 004.jpg
    SL-C Build-Week Ending 09-27-2013 004.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 517
  • SL-C Build-Week Ending 09-27-2013 005.jpg
    SL-C Build-Week Ending 09-27-2013 005.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 523
I am waiting for my supplier Jim...nothing I can do about it I am afraid...

You could order the ring gear directly from Lamborghini also the pilot bearing but the prices may be quite shocking.

The Graziano has not made it into the manual yet as the guy that updates it for us is a little busy and the cars with Graz. boxes are leaving as fast as the boxes arrive.....

Installing the clutch is no more difficult than installing the bolts in the threaded holes as with any clutch and flywheel....the release bearing is hydraulic and already attached to your transaxle so that's not like the old string around the release fork aka Porsche G50...now that's patience trying at times..

To be honest sourcing and maintain inventory to facilitate our customers having the best transaxle support in the industry, and pioneering these items when nobody else in the world has the gumption to try and also doing it for next to zero profit , just to bolster the value, performance and quality of the SLC is an arduous task even for us....

take a breath and understand what it is you are doing...assembling a car ..something that will destroy just about any factory built machine, and you did it yourself ,in your garage with your tools.....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Wow.........You've had the car something like 4 or 5 months right. I took EIGHT years to build my GT40 and I've had my SLC for 2 this month. These things take time and if you hurry it will really be a drag. Not to mention you will start making expensive mistakes.

This is why I hate the word kit. These are home built hotrods, made of a pile of parts, some of which don't fit perfect and require your skills and thoughtful application of patience.

To produce a true kit where every piece is numbered and it all fits like number million and one off the Ford production line would cost more than anyone could afford. Thank god it requires a bit of work or I could have never enjoyed this hobby.

My advice is to take a week off, take a breath, and then get back to it for a few hours a day 4 or 5 days a week. This won't be the only time you get frustrated. It happens to everyone. Usually several times during a build. When you are done someday you will look back on your perseverance with pride.

Remember the fun is in the doing.

Your friend, Howard

Jim, I think Howard really nailed it. Take a break and catch your breath.
It's more fun that way! Mine isn't done either but slowly getting it together.

Jim, hang in there. I've had 4 other home-built cars/replicar vehicles and no matter how complete the manuf. stated the kit was or how easy it was supposed to go together they all had some minor challenges/inconveniences -- but nothing that was insurmountable. Even my superformances (complete rollers) had some growing pains as the factory modified or discovered better/different materials and parts. re: motor mount/exhaust pipe rocking issues, a move to emerg. brakes that utilized a drive-shaft clamp system, a change to a different rear end, battery ground cable wear thru issues etc.

I took a hiatus on my last car (super 7 clone) build when I ran into issues of having the frame fully caged with a halo. A local shop had the frame and unbeknownst to me was having financial and personal issues. Well... 6 months later my friend came over and forcefully said.... "you need to finish that car" .. he was right. I grabbed back my frame, got it done elsewhere and 2 months later on the road. It was a trying time but I was very happy that I carried on and got it done.

You're doing a great job and I enjoy reading your thread and look forward to your post on first start and drive. ---- Mike

Last edited:
I have to walk away form this project for about a week to regain my sanity; other wise I might do something rational....like burn it!:rifle: This just isn't turning out to be the fun project that I was so looking forward to!

Talk to you all in about a week. Better luck with your builds!
Most big projects tend to get to me when things invariably go wrong, or take far longer than I think they should.

If it's any consolation, your excellent build thread is going to help many builders enjoy their builds more.

Howard-Jack-Mike-Roger: Thanks all for the advise, kind words and encouragement!

Thank you to all that sent me PM's; I only wish that I had talked to you folks before I committed to this project.....I wouldn't be here today!

I'm going to take a week hiatus and evaluate if I'm willing to tolerate any more of this. I'll reserve any further commentary for the future; other to say that I that I realize that (most) problems aren't insurmountable....it's just a matter of how much grief you're willing to stomach and how much time and money you're willing to throw at it! And that my friends is exactly what I need to determine.
Jim

Jim, Remember, if it was easy...anybody could do it. From the looks of the job you are doing, you are definitely not just anyone.

Ken: It's not the “doing” (building) that's frustrating me as much as all the B.S politics (if you know what I mean).

Thanks for the complement, it's deeply appreciated!
Jim

Jim like i said before and others have said i enjoy reading your post on your build i hope you work it all out and continue the build because when i get my car i will be reading it again while iam doing my build Good Luck to you Tom

Jim,
I want to echo what everyone has said thus far. I enjoyed the advice you have me on PM's, and got a lot out of your organized, professional build log. Hope you get things worked out...
Stephen H

Most big projects tend to get to me when things invariably go wrong, or take far longer than I think they should.

Yessir. I'm 3.5 years into a build. Pretty much custom everything, and the forum guys tease me about it daily (200k views). I've about walked away 3x.

Hang in there Jimmer. The first time you fire the motor will blow your mind. Progress seems to make it all better. You will overcome this, the car will get done, and you will be a very proud man.

Cheers,

Jim, You have made the right decision. Step back and take a good look. I am sure that you will know how to proceed. Sorry I am not able to help with more than words.
Ken

Unfinished SL-C For Sale
Hi All,
I took a week long hiatus from my SL-C build; I also abandoned my computer for a little over a week. I have to say that when I finally turned my computer back on, I was overwhelmed by all of the complimentary posts & PM's. Thank you to all, there sure are some great supportive folks on this forum!

After much sole searching, I've decided that this build is no longer fun for me and as a result, I have lost interest in continuing the build. Therefore I'm placing my unfinished SL-C for sale. As if this decision was not gut wrenching enough, I had to complicate matters by watching the movie “RUSH”. Talk about an adrenalin rush; I had one and I admit that half way through the movie, I almost caved in reversed my decision. However, practicality won the day and in the I remain resolute in my decision to sell!

Anyone interested can view my ad on the “GT40 Market Place”. I have $78,878.23 invested in all the major parts listed in the ad. I'm not looking to be reimbursed for my labor, nor am I seeking to make a profit and I'm not even factoring in all of the fasteners, aluminum fabrication stock, miscellaneous hardware, sales tax, UPS charges, etc. All I'm asking is a fair market offer to enable me to recoup the majority of my expenses. I have all of the receipts to support my purchases and will be more than willing to consider all offers.

I'm in the process of tiding up loose end and reinstalling the body; as I get the rest of the body installed, I'll post some more pics. Pictured in pic. #007 is a beautiful carbon fiber rear tail peace. This a $495.00 option and I forgot to list it in my ad; therefore I'm going to include it any deal made.

Jim

Attachments

• 2013 SL-C For Sale 001.jpg
    2013 SL-C For Sale 001.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 577
  • 2013 SL-C For Sale 002.jpg
    2013 SL-C For Sale 002.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 515
  • 2013 SL-C For Sale 003.jpg
    2013 SL-C For Sale 003.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 557
  • 2013 SL-C For Sale 005.jpg
    2013 SL-C For Sale 005.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 482
  • 2013 SL-C For Sale 006.jpg
    2013 SL-C For Sale 006.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 493
  • 2013 SL-C For Sale 007.jpg
    2013 SL-C For Sale 007.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 552

Michael Fling

Supporter
Jim,
Sorry to hear that too. You were smokin' dude, and doing a fabulous job!. I would agree.... call in the army (Allan) and see if he could assist with completion>

Sorry to hear that too. I've been living my SLC dreams through people like you. I hope that it works out however is best for you.

Sorry to hear the news Jim. Have you considered having someone else finish it for you like "Allan"?

Jim,
Sorry to hear that too. You were smokin' dude, and doing a fabulous job!. I would agree.... call in the army (Allan) and see if he could assist with completion>

Allan and a couple of other excellent builders certainly would be a good viable option for a buyer that didn't want to do the build themselves.
Jim

Yes Jim that's to bad you have a pretty good start on it, would have been nice to see you finish it but you gotta do what what makes you happy. I have walked away from mine here and there months at a time changed my time line plans, life has away of doing that, now it will get done whenever its gets done. I am not stressing over it any more and its helped with how I feel about the project. All the best I know you will find a good home for it.
Cheers,

Back