Jms iii slc

Ron McCall

Supporter
J. I have a set of the mirrors for sale like what Doc posted about (only in black plastic instead of CF) if you are interested.

Most of the DP cars appear to have the fender mirrors (electrically adjustable) mounted to the fenders. They usually mount to the chassis tub with the bodywork cut in around them, thus eliminating much of the vibration. Those with real fender mounts have an additional strut for mounting. You can purchase a set from Riley Technologies for around $2000.00.

THe SPA mirrors as Doc mentioned are the best option IMO, mounted on the doors, higher up.

Hey J, stupid question, but when you lift the rear clip, does it just tilt back right away, or does it first have to lift up a bit, then tilt back? I imagine it has to lift upwards a bit first before it can begin its tilt because it's sitting tight in the guide pins?

Interesting - I'm working on seceuring the front-end of the clip down now (i.e., between the two guide pins) so the back is just propped up by the wooden shipping block ... that's probably why I'm not seeing that motion at the moment in my mind.

Btw, were you able to figure out if my poor lil' box was still loitering around the shop?

1 more thread hijack, then I promise i'm finished ( :D ) - once you've reached 90*, what keeps the rear clip from falling over to 180*? Prop rod? Some type of pin to secure it? Awesome cool voodoo magic? Inquiring minds want to know :D

On Johns car we useds a wire tether(track car) but on other turn key street cars we have installed a pair of hydraulic lift rams...ultimately the wing stantions would stop the tail over centering in event of the tether failed.

The car went yesterday to Val Burd Racing at VIR for a checkup, corner balance, and alignment. Val has been in the business a long time, and is one of those guys that is not impressed by much; he's seen a lot of trick stuff fail miserably. Understanding that, here is a list of things that had to be adjusted, repaired, or replaced to get the car where he thought it should be:

1. A jamb nut on one of the rear suspension rod ends was not tight.

That's it.

With gas, all fluids, ready to rock, the car is 2520 pounds. It corner balanced to within 8 pounds all around. Track day next Wednesday-Thursday. Report with VIDEO promised.

Is that with a full tank AND simulated drivers weight in the seat?

That's no driver, true "curb weight". Here are some real world comparison numbers. There is an Ferrarichat thread with this data (this is with full tank, and these were measured with photos of the scale display):
Carrera GT: 3260
360 Challenge Stradale: 3104
F288 GTO: 2940
F40: 3001 (rumored to be 2700.... NOT)
F50: 3137 (rumored to be 2500!!!!)
Enzo: 3265
997 GT3 RS: 3185
F430: 3376
Scuderia: 3137
Veyron: 4538 pounds!

Put that in more perspective: The F40 has about the same hp and torque as the meager LS376 in this car, but it weighs almost 500 pounds more. It still managed 3.5s to 60 and 201 mph. This car should be adequate for our track day needs :)

This car should be adequate for our track day needs :)

It would be even more adequate with 850hp and a 502 LS block ... I can hook ya up =)

(don't mind me, just trying to get a discount from my engine builder for bringing in more customers :laugh: )

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
my car stands at 1256kg but thats fully comfy road going, with new front EPS rack in which is much heavier than the SLC one

Attachments

• new006.jpg
    new006.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 177
  • new005.jpg
    new005.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 150
... magic voodoo ...

I think the Italians have the corner on the magic voodoo market. I just spent 2 hours removing the front AC ECU from my 12 year old 355 to send it and the center console ECU (yes, there are two) off in hopes of finding out which one is bad. AC works fine - when it is all unplugged. Just cannot control it. No idea why, no idea how to test it.
Both parts together are $3000. No, that's not a typo.

In the same amount of time, you could just about have the motor clean out of an SLC.

Did I mention that the upcoming track event is an Ferrari Club event? Vindication will be mine :)

Mirror problem solved. These work nicely. SPA F1 mirrors. Ready to roll now.

Attachments

• SLC mirror1.jpg
    SLC mirror1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 538
  • SLC mirror2.jpg
    SLC mirror2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 458

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I've had those mirrors on another car and found them to be very light and not very susceptible to road vibration - but they were a bastard to align and keep aligned with a locking screw buried deep within the mount..

On another note - The windows sure appear to be very dark. Does the local law not have anything to say about them? I know that here, they'd ticket you and not allow the car to be driven further - necessitating a tow home on a flat bed..

Back