Jms iii slc

Since this isn't really a build log and it's not a replica, I am going to put this thread here. My father just brought home his SLC and we have started the tweaking that will be required to get it ready for it's maiden track time mid July. This is pretty much a turn-key car, though a few things will still need to be done.

First off, pictures!

Attachments

• SCL1.jpg
    SCL1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 871
  • SLC2.jpg
    SLC2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 798
The car is intended to be a track car. What possess him to get what is essentially a poor man's Daytona Prototype (in better looking skin) is beyond me, but I am going to ride (and hopefully drive) along with a grin.
The car has a LS376 crate motor, so it is wet-sump. It has the usual Ricardo with the new style shifter. It has many things that were not developed when the car was ordered: tilt and telescopic steering column, the new high-mount carbon wing with quick-release tilt-away that allows quick access to motor, ram operated doors, and the new standard Brembo brake kit which is an upgrade from the old brakes.
Inside, the dash has been flocked and looks very purposeful. The only interior panel is the top center piece. The interior door latches are cables and work very well. In fact, the doors are really sweet, easy to use, and functional.

Attachments

• SLC3.jpg
    SLC3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 526
  • SLC4.jpg
    SLC4.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 605
Last edited:
The fit and finish on the fiberglass is fantastic, especially considering that this is gelcoat. It looks like paint. It's very race car though - all the panels clip down like body work over the skeleton of a racing chassis, since that is essentially what they are. There is no weather stripping, sound deadening, or insulation.

The windscreen has always been one of my favorite parts of this car. Look at the line of the edge of the body through the severe curve and you see zero distortion. It is like a giant Oakley lens wrapping around you.

I still can't wrap my head around driving this car on the road. I have had the privaledge to ride in a few outlandish cars (a Murcielago always stands out) but I can't think of ANYTHING that is going to stand out like this. Pull up in a Carrera GT, and those in the know will realize that you are driving something special. This thing... most people won't have a clue what it is, only that it looks like you have stolen it from the pits at LeMans. The doors are just icing on the cake.

Attachments

• SLC5.jpg
    SLC5.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 563
  • SLC6.jpg
    SLC6.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 700
Fran and the boys did some nice work putting this together, though really everything is pretty much "stock". Reasonable motor, the usual gearbox, digidash, standard brakes and wheels, front lift (a necessity). I think pretty much everyone is going to be running these things, and many guys have a lot of upgrades beyond this. As is, I think it is going to be a track weapon far over our heads, but I really look forward to growing into the car (assuming I get to spend some time behind the wheel).

A couple things I have started to realize over the last 24 hours:

I debated about this car vs. a GT40, and I realize I am glad I did what I did. A 40 is not the best as a track car. This thing is really a track/race car. Many are making the interiors into "supercar" interiors and the such, but I am not sure I would try to go that route. You are going to have to do a LOT to this car to make it a comfortable highway cruiser. It's also really big, and did I mention it is going to attract attention? Yes the GT40 will attract attention. Not like this.

As a primarily track oriented car, it really has several huge improvements over the 40. One is safety. This really looks to be a safe car, with full protection but no intruding bars, center mounted fuel tank, and more space around you in the event of a shunt. The front structure looks particularly solid. I will get to compare it side by side with the Ultima in July, but I think I already know which one I would want to be in in a crash.

Attachments

• SLC7.jpg
    SLC7.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,024
  • SLC8.jpg
    SLC8.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 826
Last edited:
As usual with something like this, there are a few little issues to attend to:
The AC parts are still not available. I think hotrod air went belly up? It's all ready to go, minus the evaporator under the dash. I don't think my dad really wanted it in the first place.
The lift pump is not working, and we are not exactly sure why. It's all plumbed and the pump is running, it's not leaking, and it holds level. Fran says a replacement pump will be coming next week.
We weren't getting any oil pressure reading on the Digidash, but we also are not real familiar with it yet. (It will do a gazillion things). I had hoped to steal the paperwork to read through it but Dad took it (I guess it is his car...)
The seats will need some modification (for me) to get them perfect, and I think we are going to do custom inserts that velcro in. Dad fits fine, but I am too short. Who's car is this anyway? Oh wait...
The firewall will need to be completely sealed and insulated, once the seats and belts are all sorted. This is real easy to do, as there are removable panels.
We have not installed mirrors, and we are kicking around what to do about them. I have some ideas in my tiny noggin.
The car will get a final alignment and corner balancing, and it will go on Viper's dino at VIR, just to be sure.
Since we just blew the motor in our Cobra (which was wet sump) I think it will need an accusump, and I also think it will need a transaxle cooler. The tranny cooler is a piece of cake. I would not have thought about the accusump until the big bang... once bitten twice shy.

Check out the sweet gold foil Fran lined the firewall with. You can see it through the window from the car behind. You also get to watch the shifter in action from behind.
BTW, it is REALLY loud :)

More pictures, video, and continued impressions soon. We don't have a VIN yet so I can't really drive it until we get it to the track!

Attachments

• SLC9.jpg
    SLC9.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 728
  • SLC10.jpg
    SLC10.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 994
Last edited:
Awesome. What an incredible machine. The GT40 is my favourite, but I can see this is a whole generation or two more appropriate for a track machine. And space age on the road. Thanks for the pics.

Congratulations!

Looks fabulous. I'm using the same foil on my firewall and some gold mylar foil over the round diagonals. I just stabbed the Ricardo onto my engine so I'll take the requisite photos maybe tomorrow or so. I like the intake tubing. I may hang the oil coolers at the rear and do the same as yours for the intake after seeing that. I definitely like the rear wing pivot.....just one more item for the must-have list.

can you post pics of how the rear clip's "hinges" are installed? I can't figure out how the heck they mount for the life of me.

You mean these simple little things that allow the tail to open a full 90 degrees......wink

Attachments

• DSCF1742.jpg
    DSCF1742.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 799
  • DSCF1743.jpg
    DSCF1743.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 754
Interesting - it doesn't seem like the tail can open a full 90* w/o whacking into the spoiler though. Hummmm, well, only one way to find out :D

Alex,
you pull two cotter pins and the wing tilts out of the way about 30 degrees or so, then the rear clip has clearance to go all the way back. It's really slick!
I'll try to take some pictures tonight.
-J.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I NEED those! The hindge for the rear bodywork and the uprights for the wing and the pin thingy's. Do you have them in stock Fran?

Looks great. Can't wait to hear about the in-car experiences.

Also, could you post or pm me the corner-weighted specs when that is done?

Alex,
you pull two cotter pins and the wing tilts out of the way about 30 degrees or so, then the rear clip has clearance to go all the way back. It's really slick!
I'll try to take some pictures tonight.
-J.

Interesting, I see I see.

Frannnnnnnnnn, with the ?older? style diffuser/wing mount, can the wing be hinged back and not hit the ground? I see I have 3 bolts (1 on the bottom of the plates, 2 at the top, and then a black cross-brace that runs from the top edge of the driver-side plate to the bottom edge of the passenger side plate).

I'd imagine somehow you'd replace the 2 top bolts with quick release pins or cotter pins or something?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Running to the shower sporting a Billet Chubby!!!! :shocked:

That car is SWEET!!!!

I'd like to know more about the Flocking (process) on the dash!!!

Randy, I'm planning a CF overlay of the binnacles and flocking on the rest of the dash. I believe this has been done before with good results. Very inexpensive DIY project. Good info about doing it yourself at www.donjer.com

I have tried it with thier cheapest sample kit and it worked so well I was very impressed. PM me if you would like some hints learned doing this simple process.

Well, this sure is going faster than my GT40 :)
Lift pump was just a matter of adjusting the pressure set screws. Takes 3-4 seconds to lift the car.
Dad spent the day tweaking the wiring to his liking - set it so the fuel pump didn't come on with accessories. We pulled the seats so that we can access the rear firewall. Going to add some extra thermotec sound/heat insulation. That should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday from Summit.
The digidash is cool as sheeeet. I love the light dance it does. Certainly the oil and water temp sensors work, it just lights up giving us temps about 70 F (room temp in the garage). I don't think he had a chance to look at the pressure sender, could be the unit or a loose plug somewhere.

Dad doesn't like my idea of twin mirrors on the front fenders like an LMP car (see the Peugeot 908). Found some a Pegasus that I think would do nicely. He is worried about vibration of the fenders making the image unreadable.

Does anyone know how much the fenders vibrate at speed? I searched around... what are other people doing for a rear view other than a camera?

I already have the camera mount in the car. Video will be up as soon as we get some seat time. Certainly by mid July.

Back