Kaspa's scratch build GT40

Hi Russ, mate with out a workable jig it would be a nightmare, the big thing is all the little add ons, the main chassis goes together in a couple of 3 days, then its all the minor bits that takes all the time. fuel tanks coming tomorrow so that will finish number three, i suppose the good part is by the time i get to build my own i should hopefully know what i'm doing.

cheers Kaspa

well it finaly got the better of me re chassis number 1 and the SHS section rear bulk head
the more i looked at it the more it annoyed me so with a couple of days up my sleeve till the truck arrives to take the first order of 4 chassis away,
it went from this

to this

now i feel better. so thats it, just the footwell bulkhead panel to fit tomorrow and the steering rack mounts and that it, all done and dusted till after i have my knee op next wednesday, and am i looking forward to that , oh yeah not.

cheers Kaspa

Keith

John, good luck with the knee op mate. Quick question: Were the front suspension pick-up points already built in to the chassis jig or did you calculate your own for each chassis?

Hi Keith, no mate, once we had decided on what the majority were going to use for front and rear suspension components i then worked out a package and made a jig up to suit.

cheers Kaspa

Hi John, please excuse my ignorance but what are your plans for these cars? Are you building for customers? I've a Cobra and a Daytona and live in Coolum just north of you. I know most of the Oz forum crew. Keen to hear your plans.

Matt

Matt as your only 5 mins away call in to the shed any time your passing

33 commercial rd maroochy, right opposite Harvey smash repairs and Sugarman classics
as for plans, well i have to build two cars, one for my son which will be a streeter but for me it will be a light weight race car only, power will be a very modded LS1, trans is a Jerico custom trans axle dog box.
but on the chassis side of it, i just put them together for those that weren't all that confident in doing it them selves, or havn't got the time, i will build one spare chassis and have it upstairs just in case some body walks in off the street and wants one, but then the jig will be going to Melbourne so Ryan and co can put theirs together.

cheers kaspa

Last edited:
we have a set of molds that we purchased, they are defiantly not RF, and as far as i know are not related to DRB either.

Matt as your only 5 mins away call in to the shed any time your passing

33 commercial rd maroochy, right opposite Harvey smash repairs and Sugarman classics
as for plans, well i have to build two cars, one for my son which will be a streeter but for me it will be a light weight race car only, power will be a very modded LS1, trans is a Jerico custom trans axle dog box.
but on the chassis side of it, i just put them together for those that weren't all that confident in doing it them selves, or havn't got the time, i will build one spare chassis and have it upstairs just in case some body walks in off the street and wants one, but then the jig will be going to Melbourne so Ryan and co can put theirs together.

cheers kaspa

Thanks mate I will definitely do that. I run a jerico Dr4 behind a 351w in my race car too (cobra). Ive just fab'd up a sequential shifter for it and am testing it at QR next weekend. :thumbsup: My Daytona has the 6sp Hollinger sequential in it behind an Ls2. Once you row you never go back!

I will definitely pop round sometime in the next few weeks. Matt

we have a set of molds that we purchased, they are defiantly not RF, and as far as i know are not related to DRB either.

The only other bodies I know of getting about apart from the new shapes from AP / old RCR are David Tuckers. Either way your builds will be a pleasure to watch. Keep the picks coming. Please tell me they'll be RH shift?

Matt

I don't know why people get upset about GT40 molds, at last count I think there were seven or eight people/firms in NZ that each had or have a set. I take my hat of to John/Kaspa and co, to get a group of people to work together in this manner to ensure you all get what you want as individuals will/should work by limiting it to body/chassis only. Best of luck to you all.

Thanks Jac, its one way to make a dream happen, that otherwise would still be a dream

Matt i will be off for 3-4 weeks from next wednesday as i'm going in to get my knee replacement replaced, thank god its still under warranty.lol.
but you can call me on 0411291117

be good to catch up
cheers Kaspa

I don't know why people get upset about GT40 molds, at last count I think there were seven or eight people/firms in NZ that each had or have a set. I take my hat of to John/Kaspa and co, to get a group of people to work together in this manner to ensure you all get what you want as individuals will/should work by limiting it to body/chassis only. Best of luck to you all.

I wasn't trying to upset anyone so apologies if I have. I was just interested to know.

John got your number so I'll give you a call in a week or so once your back out of hospital. Good luck with it and glad to have found another local enthusiast. Happy to help in any way if I can. Matt

thanks mate and yes both the sons and mine will be RH shifters, after the Brabham i don't think i could use a lh shift again.
all the chassis will be gone by tues , so if you want a peek better pop down sooner rather than later

kaspa

Hey John,

Good Luck with the Knee opp. Are you doing all 10 chassis or are some of the Melbourne guys doing there own.

Matt, this sequential shift , is it externally mounted and operates on the existing shifter or does it work directly on the shift forks? Could it work on a rod shift such as most manual trans axles have?

Cheers Leon.

Back