Ken's SLC build thread

In the SL-C you have a very powerful right foot and quick steering!
Not to mention the fantastic brakes..

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I'm a little in the dark here so forgive my uneducated question. . .

It most other car use cases, the NRG adapter connects directly to the spline, no? Why is that not the case on the column we get from RCR? Several of the GTM guys have used these adapters and although its probably from a C5, they're using a corvette column. I too would like the horn on the wheel.

The NRG quick release is designed to bolt to a hub/adapter on one side and a 6 bolt steering wheel on the other side. In no case can the NRG quick release bolt to a steering columns spline. All quick releases must have a hub/adapter mounted first.

The NRG quick release is designed to bolt to a hub/adapter on one side and a 6 bolt steering wheel on the other side. In no case can the NRG quick release bolt to a steering columns spline. All quick releases must have a hub/adapter mounted first.

And it can't bolt directly to the RCR adapter because of the 5 bolt/6 bolt incompatibility, correct?

Ruth,

I'm using the 5-to-6 adapter and now the choice of steering wheels is staggering! BTW, your parts are on the way to Fran today.....

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Here is the current wheel shipped with the car in 2012.

Here is the RCR supplied quick connect.

The cylindrical portion at the top of the picture threads onto the steering column shaft.

The portion in the middle with the male splines slides over the cylindrical portion and then gets welded.

This now combined piece slides into the female splines of the bottom portion attached to the wheel.

You can keep the RCR quick connect and purchase a thin adapter that will bolt to the end of the quick connect which will convert it from a 5 bolt pattern to a 6 bolt pattern if you don't care for the RCR "Grant GT" wheel.

If you want the horn button to function in the center of the wheel then you can't use the supplied RCR quick connect.

Attachments

• 004-3.jpg
    004-3.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
If you purchase the Pfadt or NRG adapter then here is the GM part number for the nut to mount it to the steering column shaft. #11609659

UPDATE-this was applicable to the earlier steering column from a Cadillac XLR only.

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
My finger is pointing to the "clock spring". This is needed if you want to use any steering wheel mounted electrical switches/controls including the horn button.

The GM part number for the clock spring is #89060610. You can get it for about $123 if you happen to have a XLR column without it.

Attachments

• 007-1.jpg
    007-1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
As an alternative...

Is there an unused button on the XLR steering column that could be re-purposed as a horn button?

Ken Roberts

Supporter
As an alternative...

Is there an unused button on the XLR steering column that could be re-purposed as a horn button?

Other than the two stalks there are no other buttons that you can convert. You could replace the tilt and telescopic switch though if you aren't using those features.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is a picture of the wheel tub kit that i received. I don't know if this is complete or not but it gives you a good idea of what is included.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
The louvered looking pieces go in front of the rear tires. What do all the other pieces do, and where do they go?

May shed some light on where some of the parts go, however, not too sure if these are the same exact pieces that are still used.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_7752 [1600x1200].jpg
    DSC_7752 [1600x1200].jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2,475
  • craigsump1.jpg
    craigsump1.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 3,720
  • IMG_2537 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_2537 [800x600].jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,487
  • RCR SLC Front Wheel Well Liner.JPG
    RCR SLC Front Wheel Well Liner.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 2,510
Dave those pic's helped a lot. The arc'd pieces in the front clip, I never thought to turn them sideways Now I see how they work, Thank you.
Cheers,
Grant

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Dave,

I want to hinge my fron clip as well. Could you provide details/PICs of your hinge assy.

I'm interested too. Maybe we could get a group buy going for the hinge assembly.

I don't think that is Dave's car though. It's right hand drive. Most likely Australian.

Back