Kitcar research....

Hi guys,
I'm living in Italy, and I'm doing a research on kitcars. To be more specific, I'm doing a research on why people prefer to buy a kitcar like a CAV gt, or Superformance, respect to a productioncar like a Porsche, Ferrari, etc...
Please let me know your reasons why....

Hi guys,
I'm living in Italy, and I'm doing a research on kitcars. To be more specific, I'm doing a research on why people prefer to buy a kitcar like a CAV gt, or Superformance, respect to a productioncar like a Porsche, Ferrari, etc...
Please let me know your reasons why....

For what about me,I've discovered this world some years ago.As for too many things,I've seen this reality is really serious and involves very experienced people (the producers).
The 2 main important things are that u can drive such legend cars without trash milion dollars (dont have at the moment..),and the vehicles are really too close to the original cars.
An original Gt40 is too hard to find and its value is over 1 milion dollar,the cars are from late 60s and need the care of a baby.More..if u crash theme and u will not die,u will fire a terrific amount of such historical.
For me a Cobra or a Gt40 are much more nicer than todays production cars, but this is a personal point of view.(also if I think car producers note the "retro" mania is interesting, look at Ford Gt, mustang, camaro, new mini..new 500 soon..)
When I have serious amount to invest I never think at cars..neither ferraris, but just buy, houses,shops, apartments...in a word: BRICKS.

The gt40s connection is as a religion faith, I've made my trip to le mans as muslims go to la mecca, and I've seen the light.
I've also joined the enthusiast club uk (subscription confirmed to life..)and I am too proud and happy to be the first italian discovering this, and achieving knowledge.

me (and since some months) some other friends think those new cars, call theme also kitcars..are much more interesting than all the rest,and at an affordable price.
Its realistic to spend 30-40k euros in such cars..maybe also a little more,if I look at Porsche entry-level car,the Cayman..they ask me 68k euros, for something soo common and considered "cheap",surely maybe much more usable in everyday...but I dont care and prefer use my Golf and keep a second car as my special (I'm already engaged with a bmw-garage-sleeping wife now..).

Italy is still an undiscovered land for such vehicles, and I really wonder, cause down here people can kill to have their dreamcar.

Another reason why kit cars are better. If you look at Paolo's note, he talks about the Porsche Cayman. I have a 1969 911, so that is another issue.

I saw my Porsche mechanic on saturday. One of his customers drives a Boxster. This chap paid £45000. His car with 45K miles. This owner was offered £11000 in trade.

I think most GTD owners who spent £40K will get not so far off that money today.

My two p !!!

Ciao

Dom

Anch io sono italiano !!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Try building a porsche Cayman on
Porsche Car Configurator
I get up to £61,000 UKL.
Paolo gets near to the point saying GT40 is likened to a religion.
And maybe it's a drug as well.
Whatever, it is quite consuming.
And you meet the nicest people here on the GT40s.com website !!

But what about the people that buy a kitcar with a new BodyStyling?
Then the religion doesn't exist anymore....

Last edited:
There's also something deeply satisfying about being intimate with every single fastener on a car. And the friendships that develop over time are noteworthy also. I must have 30 people associated with my build now and everyone has become part of the car. Ya, kind of a sappy thought I guess, but it's all part of the journey being as important as the desitination.

Brian

Mike Pass

Supporter
Look at a GT40 compared to a bar of soap... sorry Porsche. Also I have had a very quick Impreza RA but it was pig ugly and the engine looked and sounded like an out of balance washing machine. A small block Ford looks and sounds fantastic through webers and cross over pipes. Pull up at the lights in a modern car and there is one in front of you and another behind. The scooby insurance was over £1,000 ( a GT40 is about £400). Every part of a GT40 replica can be obtained easily and most things you can fix yourself. A GT40 is unique and every one I have seen has a different spec/set up. A GT40 is not a disposable consumer item like most modern cars. There won't be a facelifted version out next week which will wipe 20% of the value off your car. GT40 replicas are always worth the sum of the parts that are in them and will keep their value very well. Finally you can upgrade them very easily as time and finances permit. Nuff said....
Mike

For me its a passion, otherwise I would have stopped building a LONG time ago. I can only afford to buy bits at a certain pace, but seeing the car come together is fantastic and a real acheivement. I work for a car company and in the past have been involved with the vehicle programmes, but with this, I can say I really built it. Also, I have loved the car design for many years and it is a dream I want to realise.

Further, me and my mates are all in agreement, bar one. He has a 911 and constantly spouts that it is brilliant and precision engineering. However, the rest of us all agree that once my car is finished his will just been seen like a Mondeo when its parked next to it :O)

Brett

Although the engineering of modern cars is brilliant, the styling is bland. Kit cars allow me to combine modern engineering with classic styling from the 50's and 60's:

060722_GessVisit_003.jpg

IMG]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m96/peterjank/Lister/061216_AfterRemovingSeatCushion_001.jpg[/IMG]

IMGP1417.jpg

So does this mean that it's very important for you to have a 'history' in the design? So it's known...(like a Daytona, Cobra, GT40 etc....)

Yes and no. Yes, in the sense that the car's lines need to be consistent with what was raced in the 50's and 60's. No , in the sense that it does not need to be a slavish reproduction of a particular car.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Interesting, I have never really questioned why I got a replicar. Money has a lot to do with it of course, as I don't have a spare $mill to invest in a car.
My heros are from the 60's and some drove the GT40 and I have always wanted one. Along with the Cobra and Mustang.

Ego also plays a part if one is honest, it is a great pleasure to drive a car that stops people in their tracks and is a "chick magnet":pepper: .

For me performance is also a huge factor, with the Gt40 one has a true supercar that is exciting to drive at a fraction of the cost of today's equivalent "supercar's".

Every replicar is different and reflects the builders tastes and is unique to that person. Something you cannot really do with a production car.

Back