Le Mans Classic 2008 11-12-13th July 2008

Just a word of caution for those travelling down to the Classic Le-Mans in July. As from the 1st July it is compulsory to carry a fluorescent jacket. Since the Classic is in July you will all need one. Standard 90 euro fine if not carrying one. This must be carried inside the car not in the luggage compartment.
It is also advisable to carry one for your passenger. This is not compulsory, but the minute they get out of the car (assuming you have broken down) they will need one.
You have BEEN WARNED!!.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Ian - where did you get that info - all i can find is this...

"Visibility Vests are now compulsory in Austria, Belgium, Italy, Norway, Portugal and Spain (and likely to become compulsory throughout the EU). The rules vary from country to country concerning number of vests required and whether they should be carried in the car or boot. Common sense suggests that there should be a vest for every occupant, and that the vests should be carried in the car. Do this and you will not have a problem."

Hi Richard
I found this on Piston Heads Forum, under the heading le-Mans.
Also don't forget to carry your warning Triangle, spare bulbs, GB sticker, Fire extingusher, dipping lights sticker, spare fuel can, cuddly toy, etc, etc,..........

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Also don't forget to carry your warning Triangle, spare bulbs, GB sticker, Fire extingusher, dipping lights sticker, spare fuel can, cuddly toy, etc, etc,..........

How many of those listed (apart from cuddly toy) are actual requirements, as I have most but not all (i.e. all apart from spare fuel can - where would you put it?) at present?

Max

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Yes officer, the spare can of fuel is in the sill on the passenger side, I can switch over to it any time I need to, which is much safer than pouring it into the fuel tank on a hot day.:shifty:

I for one forgot about the headlamp stickers, dont want to remove the lexan, so will maybe try stickers on those.

Dave

I saw this in the Daily Telegraph last Saturday, supported by item 935 in Telegraph feedback page.
STOP PRESS
It is already a legal requirement in France to carry a red warning triangle. After 1st July this year, yellow warning tabards for the driver and each passenger must be AT HAND INSIDE THE VEHICLE and must be worn in the event of a breakdown. Failure to have, or to wear these tabards when necessary, can result in an on-the-spot fine; gendarmes will be carrying out spot checks. A spare set of bulbs for your vehicle is NOT a legal requirement in France, just ‘recommended’.

Fortyfication is treating this warning as real and a Stop Press has been inserted in No 78, due out this coming weekend.
It would be just like the Frogs to clean up at the Le Mans Classic, and 2 yellow jackets don't take up much space.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
This is what I carry and do not carry in the two vehicles I use in Europe, bearing in mind I visit just about all countries south and west of Germany>

1.Hi vis tabbards - 2 per vehicle
2.Red reflective warning triangle
3.First aid kit
4.Bulb and Fuse kit
5.Tow rope in one vehicle.
6.Jump Leads in the other vehicle
7.I don't wear glasses (yet) but if some one else is driving for me
corrective glasses which is a Spanish regulation.
8. Having been stopped on an Autobahn for 5 hours in a heatwave in
Austria - drinking water. Food is not necessary.
9. One Space Blanket and a normal blanket ( The other vehicle has a bed
in the back)
10. Fanbelts (full set for each vehicle)
11. 5 litres winscreen washer water and all season mix
12. Both front windsreen wiper blades (different sizes on each and on the Sprinter Van they are Tye wrapped on to make them inconvenient to remove as I've lost two sets in Italy now ( Gypsies us Merc Sprinter vans as well)
13. Full handsfree telephone system (The French and the Italian police are red hot on catching tourists on that one)
14. And what don't I carry - Speed camera detecting devices including Navman and Tom Tom.
15. And what they don't know about - Laser jammers.
16. Spare container of 5 litres of Diesel in the sprinter (TUV requirement to drive on Autobahns) but because the other car is SUV (Ford Explorer) apparently I cannot carry petrol inside the car so I don't (Marcus - can you comment?)
17. Toolkit including socket set.(as yet still unopened)

I know it's a lot but in ten years now, all I've had to use was the Jump leads and the windscreen water.

Last edited:
Lets just hope the French fishermen have lifted their blockade of the ports by
July, they seem to have this cany knack of causing major disruption when us
Brits need to cross the channel for half term holidays etc.
I wonder if they have the June Le Mans event on there radar yet for more action.
Damn these Frogs.........

16. Spare container of 5 litres of Diesel in the sprinter (TUV requirement to drive on Autobahns) but because the other car is SUV (Ford Explorer) apparently I cannot carry petrol inside the car so I don't (Marcus - can you comment?)

Phew...seems you´re setting professional standards by the way you´re travelling.

Believe it or not, but there is no explicit legal requirement in Germany as to if at all or what amount of petrol you can carry with you in your vehicle.
The only point to bear in mind is that the spare container shall not exceed a volume of 60 litres in a truck and 20 litres in a normal car. So if your SUV is registered as a truck you can go with 60 litres. The other point is that the spare containers have to be officially approved, be it by German TÜV or its UK equivalent.

Best,

Marcus

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Just received this (can anyone translate?). I hope it helps...]

Attachments

• france.jpg
    france.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 237
Richard,
My post 5 above is what it says in French.
Mentions that the warning triangle must be placed 30m down the road if you break down. (100m on autoroute)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I returned from Le Mans this morning. En Route yesterday from Frankfurt ro Le Mans yesterday I saw several cars broken down on the hard shoulder (in France) - Probably as many as five or six. Only one person was wearing the Hi Vis vest and none had warning triangles out.
Additionally the service area just before you exit to Le Mans Centre is closed - Aire de Haras de Maulepaire - so if you have it as a rendezvous
you cannot exit the Autoroute at all.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Steve

Get your details to Max (a couple of pages back on this thread he said he was putting toether a list.

It is a great thing to know who may be near if you have problems

Ian

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Just read this.

I can confirm that there is currently no one else (on the list I have compiled) going on that route.

Max

Back