M6B Tragic

The car looks great Udo, not too far away from a start up ?? The one thing I miss is the workshop I had for the main part of the build but the rent wasn't do-a-ble long term and I live in suburbia with a 600m site so no room for a decent shed.

Well I've finally brought my car home to my new property and new shed. Never again! They'll have to bury me here. It'll take another year just to get settled back in the shed Rod, let alone the property and house renovations ( my wife has along list ).
Anyway, I borrowed my mate Clayton 's trailer again and my cars home. I guess building a trailer will be the next thing on my "to do" list.
It's amazing how low it is after being used to seeing it on the build table all these years. Here are a few pictures of it on the ground.
Now I hope to get back to where I left off.
Don't worry Andy, I don't go near the water. They've pulled about 300 Crocs out of the waterways around Darwin this season. I'll stick to my pool.
Leon, your cars looking great too.

Attachments

• IMG_2308.JPG
    IMG_2308.JPG
    480.2 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_2309.JPG
    IMG_2309.JPG
    639.3 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_2314.JPG
    IMG_2314.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_2315.JPG
    IMG_2315.JPG
    329.1 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_2316.JPG
    IMG_2316.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 391
Hi Udo
happy new year and .... happy enjoyment with your new home , shed and long list of things to do !!!! LOL
10 years ago when moving to my actual house I had similar thoughts and now am always telling to nicole ( wife) i will be buried here !!!!! RELOL
Your car looks so great !! hope you will find left time to achieved all thoose small details befor firing up and painting
Stay safe you and family .. will look forward your news went starting the beast

Just say hello and happy 2022 for me to Clayton when meeting him again

Hi Udo, Happy new year my friend.
My car has a new home in a friends show room with his fine collection of cars, no its not sold just living its best life in air conditioned luxury.
I'm starting a trailer build for a mate who races a couple of Porches so I might add it to my build thread.
Your car looks fantastic and will not be too far away from the finish line hopefully this year ?? maybe. Looking forward to more progress photos.
My car will be in the Feb or March issue of NZ Classic Car Magazine so if you get it over there might be worth a read.
Best wishes for 2022, Cheers Leon.

She looks much happier in her new and improved home Udo, but could become a little lonely by herself… ;);)
I can see a start party in the near future :cool:

Happy New Year to you as well Michel.

Clayton

Wooooooooooooooooooooouhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Absolument magnifique !!!!!!
What a journey from post nb 1 with only body shell and wood chassis!!!!!absolutly excellent , so good and professinal skils involved in this build you can tell Udo tha it si one of the best build have seen since along time ;) :rolleyes::cool::D

Just echoing Michel's praise. This has to be the best build I have seen in terms of quality workmanship and detail along with Andy's M20 build. It shows you the quality of crafts man there is down at the bottom of the world, makes me proud to be from "Down Under" That colour is spot on too, looks very similar to a M20 someone has on this site???

Cheers Leon

Hi Udo - just starting to think about the exhaust headers for my M8 and wonder what primary diameter you used and how you build, I.e. did you use a wire model or other template first ?

Hi Wolfgang, Sorry to take so long to reply, I Haven't had a chance. I did my headers very old school. Firstly I got a chart off the net specifying the ultimate sizes and lengths for Primary and Secondary pipes for that size engine and rev range. ( See the attachment. ) Then I ordered a selection of bends, donuts, and pipe and a pair of header plates. Then I made up a couple of jigs to cut the bends square to the center of the radius, and bought a heap of hacksaw blades. You are right, I used a wire model and made the ones furthest away first ( nos 1 & 2 ), then proceeded to the next, doubling back to obtain the same length to the collectors. Making sure I had access to the manifold bolts, spark plugs and still get the rocker covers off.
I notice all of yours are one piece and beautifully bent up in I presume a computer programmed bending machine of some sort. You're not thinking of making them differently are you ?

Attachments

• BRN3C2AF49C28AD_0000005486.pdf
    238 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2339.JPG
    IMG_2339.JPG
    265.3 KB · Views: 188
I have struck my next stumbling block. The Joe Hunt Magneto look Distributor is Dead on arrival. It's the authentic look that I wanted and set everything up to suit it. Looking at some website forums they don't have a good reputation. Probably Chinese sourced parts. So it's either a standard dizzy and coil, or I pull everything apart, hack the wiring apart and find somewhere to cram 8 coil packs. A real Magneto may make too much electrical noise, and interfere with the ECU. Never easy is it?
Has anyone used one of these Joe Hunt Distributors?

Hi UDO, I had issues with my Mallory Mag so I stripped the guts out of it and just use the points as a trigger with a MSD unit. I had thought about getting the same as you have for the right look and read up on them to find they are pretty much junk. Could you set up some points in it and do the same thing. They are an HEI unit and don't have points do they ?? The other option would be to get hold of an old vertex mag (doesn't need to work) and do what I have done, food for thought.

Cheers Leon

Wow Leon, that was a quick reply. I was going to try and convert it with an external coil and that way I could still have the magnetic trigger, but you are right about they are pretty much junk. Clayton's talking me into coil packs hidden somewhere. That way every thing is hooked up to the ECU and tune able.
I can still leave the Dizzy there as a fake and keep the look. At least you were smart enough to read up on them first. I assumed Joe Hunt were reputable, seeing they've around so long and I didn't even check.

Thanks, Udo.

Hi Wolfgang, Sorry to take so long to reply, I Haven't had a chance. I did my headers very old school. Firstly I got a chart off the net specifying the ultimate sizes and lengths for Primary and Secondary pipes for that size engine and rev range. ( See the attachment. ) Then I ordered a selection of bends, donuts, and pipe and a pair of header plates. Then I made up a couple of jigs to cut the bends square to the center of the radius, and bought a heap of hacksaw blades. You are right, I used a wire model and made the ones furthest away first ( nos 1 & 2 ), then proceeded to the next, doubling back to obtain the same length to the collectors. Making sure I had access to the manifold bolts, spark plugs and still get the rocker covers off.
I notice all of yours are one piece and beautifully bent up in I presume a computer programmed bending machine of some sort. You're not thinking of making them differently are you ?

Hi Udo - many thanks for response. You are right - my headers were designed in CAD and then mandrel-computer bent. The issue on the M8 is that the header bends don’t have enough straight length between them which is required for the grip length of the machine. Therefore I have to make the headers in a conventional way out of separate bits and pieces. Seeing your effort to get them to that perfect level scares me quite a bit …..

Hi Udo, sorry to hear about your drama with the Mag. I think you are right about the merits of having timing controlled by the ecu - definitely the way to go.

On my M1 SBC Hilborn EFI set-up I use a MSD crank trigger feeding the ecu 1 pulse per TDC, and the ecu triggering a MSD 6 digital box and MSD coil, into a completely gutted small cap distributor that just has a rotor in it. About as simple as you can get. This might be an option for you if you want to retain the old-school look but get full ignition control.

I had poor results initially using a dual sync distributor - too much electrical noise going on inside the cap for a clean reliable engine position signal - so I abandoned sequential control and I now batch fire my injectors in two groups of four (2 on each bank in each group of 4 to reduce pulsation in fuel rails). I initially felt this was a backwards step but this is a race car and my injectors are basically open most of the time anyway at full noise.

The timing control from the crank trigger under a timing light is solid as a rock whereas from the dual sync distributor it was rubbish and would also have changed with any cam float under braking/accel. I did not notice any deterioration in idle and low rpm low load manners when I switched from sequential to batch either.

Let us know when you get that weapon running!

Cheers, Andrew

As Udo stated above, we couldn’t get her fired up with the Joe Hunt dizzy. Very disappointing day
After a tidy up, I took a quick walk around video of Udo’s progress.

Before it’s pointed out, yes most of the suspension bolts either have the wrong nuts or none at all.
Next step will be setting up the geometry, but we need some noise…

Clayton

Every time I see this car I'm floored by the craftmanship and detail in this build. I doubt that original cars were built this well. I think my car is built quite well but in reality it is journeyman like in comparison to this. I think not many would argue this is the best build i have seen on this or any forum.
Hats off to you Udo.

Back