McLaren M20#73

Hi Andy, drop me your email address by PM thanks, can`t seem to find it. I am sorting out a road trip for late January and will call in if your around then.
Cheers
Russell

I've been building for 2 years now... the goal is to be running late summer which I consider doable.. a lot of stars will have to align.
Work continues on the rear suspension tower, and will require another couple of days to complete. Its the first time both rear rims have been mounted(15"x18" wide). Since having to wheel mount the 12" rotors and calipers, the inner rim halves will have to be changed as they're not large enough diameter. Will have a think on that one.
Will probably go with a MRX knife edge anti-roll bar setup.
Andrew

Attachments

• M20-91.jpg
    M20-91.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 637
  • M20-92.jpg
    M20-92.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 661
  • M20-93.jpg
    M20-93.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 595
  • M20-94.jpg
    M20-94.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 696
That's looking really good Andrew. You have got through it much faster than I thought you would, a tribute to your skill. I'm going to have mine done by Christmas (even if it kills me) would cool to get both cars and Andrew Robinsons car together for a photo. I'm in body prep mode now and will have paint on it at Labour weekend. Just working through the list of small Fab and mechanical jobs that seem to be never ending. I'm in the process of making a mold to do the wind screen more like the original. Wait and see how it turns out, if you like it I could do one for you. As always, fantastic work. Cheers Leon

I've been building for 2 years now... the goal is to be running late summer which I consider doable.. a lot of stars will have to align.
Work continues on the rear suspension tower, and will require another couple of days to complete. Its the first time both rear rims have been mounted(15"x18" wide). Since having to wheel mount the 12" rotors and calipers, the inner rim halves will have to be changed as they're not large enough diameter. Will have a think on that one.
Will probably go with a MRX knife edge anti-roll bar setup.
Andrew
Steam roller anyone !!!

Hi Andy, if you look on page 29 post 568 there is a few photos of the front clip support attachments, they have the brake ducts incorporated, attached to the top link point and at the bottom on the tub. At the front the original is a cup/hook thing, I have made a drop and slide back arrangement and at the rear it will drop onto or slide back into a pin arrangement (haven't done that yet) as for the rear, it has the pins the same as original on the side pods and the back will hinge on a bracket bolted to the gear box. Yours will be quite different as it will have to suit the trans and the clip, I believe your trans will protrude through the rear panel on your car. Mine just fits inside and my trans is shorter than yours it will pin/bolt through the support pieces I glassed into the rear section of the clip, yours and mine are the same. I hope that is of some help, I will put up photos of the rear bracket when its welded up and finished. Cheers Leon

Leon.. Thanks for the info, let me know how your screen turns out.
The Rear suspension tower is finished. I added a latice tube arrangement that’s a little different than original but should be solid. An additional support bar was fabricated from the bell housing base to the engine to stop any flexing.
The Roll hoop is being bend. The rear stays on the original bolted to the BB intake manifold but that is not and option for this LS based motor due to the fuel injection. I will probably attach it to the rear suspension tower and have to add some crush tubes/base plate.
The ‘S1Sequential’ Load Cell/Stain gauge turned up. Looks quite nice, it’s programmed from a USB on the top, under the shift handle for lift free gear shifts. Fitted nicely on the Albins shifter.
Keeping at it... Andrew.

Attachments

• 20201016_172915_resized.jpg
    20201016_172915_resized.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 559
  • 20201016_173030_resized.jpg
    20201016_173030_resized.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 532
  • 20201016_173653_resized.jpg
    20201016_173653_resized.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 494
  • 20201016_173228_resized.jpg
    20201016_173228_resized.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 485
  • 20201016_173310_resized.jpg
    20201016_173310_resized.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 508
That looks good and extremely complexed, the original is quite simple but of course is suited to the Hewland Trans. The original bolts to the side plates but mine bolts to a bracket on the top of the trans which is flat, however I do have my bolt spacing to suit the Hewland (in case I won Lotto) and my bottom mount is very simple again my trans is flat on the bottom like a Hewland. I have done a template for the screen just need to make a mold to heat and form it over. Still busy with body prep paint next weekend, YAHOO!! getting ever closer. Cheers Leon

The Roll Hoop has been fun and games getting Motorsport NZ Cage Homologation over the line. The main hoop footing plate has to be a 120cm2 x 3mm steel plate welded to the chassis. (I know... its aluminium), my 5mm plates didn’t conform. The diagonal has to be 1 piece 38.1 x 2.5mm welded within 100mm of the footing plate. The rear stays must be straight, no hinge mounts.The welding of the hoop must be from a RM. (MSNZ Recognised Manufacturer).these are just a few of the MSNZ Schedule A’ rules that must be adhered to. So I have to go down the Alternate design path, and get an Engineer to approve design and provide load calculations and get a RM shop to weld up structure. All just takes a bit more time and money. Working through it.
So during lock down 8 months ago I organised a 3 day, 2 nights bicycle trip on the Heaphy Track. One of the ‘Great NZ Walking tracks’, 4 bikes were strapped under the wings of a Cessna 185, and from Wellington airport flew to the Aorere valley (top of South Island) and landed in a cow padock next to the start of the track. Quite exciting.. A tough 1st day riding, some great views and memories were had, then flew back, Karamea - Wellington, all in 3 days.
..car progress slowed.
Andrew

Attachments

• 20201118_090956_resized_2.jpg
    20201118_090956_resized_2.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 464
  • 20201118_091111_resized_1.jpg
    20201118_091111_resized_1.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 446
  • 20201120_083717_resized.jpg
    20201120_083717_resized.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 439
  • 20201120_085636_resized.jpg
    20201120_085636_resized.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 472
The Roll Hoop has been fun and games getting Motorsport NZ Cage Homologation over the line......So I have to go down the Alternate design path, and get an Engineer to approve design and provide load calculations....

Hi Andy,

I went the alternative design path and it was straightforward. I supplied hand-drawings to a structural engineer guy moonlighting at Gary Douglas Engineers Ltd (GDE) in Palmerston North. All I supplied was my main roll bar and backstay detail and materials specs, and he simulated deformation at design loads assuming it was robustly connected to the rest of the spaceframe. I have hinge joints. My understanding is that none of the standard fabrication details and "rules" need to be followed if you go the alternative design and have it engineered. In the end it was as easy as a standard homologation. I can dig out the details and PM you if you are interested.

Cheers, Andrew

Hello, Andrew, If you send me a sketch with all important information, I can trace your roll bar in the CAD and do a FEM analysis. Then you can see how something bends

Hi Andrew, I reread your build log last week as you had been down this path already. I sent GDE a few sketches of the rear sub frame and Roll Hoop which they are modelling this week. So its all under way.
Hans, thanks for your offer, I have it covered as per above.
Andrew.

Well... Late summer has past. must admit I ended up playing with all the summer toys. Did a month lap around the South Island( I managed to stop at Highlands Motorpark and take out their Radical SR3.. loads of fun but all over to quick) Got back then towed the boat up to Auckland and watched the Americas Cup, foiling 75 foot monohulls are impressive beasts and basically enjoyed beer, wine and food, so very little was done on the car.
The wife’s old Transition Mountain bike was converted to an electric commuter, put in a 1600w Luna cycles BBSHD motor and made a 52 volt 14S8P 112xNCR 18650 Li-on battery pac, all spot welded, nickel bus bars, BMS to control battery charging. I can cruise at 50kph+, no pedalling . That’s more than fast enough with all the Fwits driving here.
So summers all but over and I’ve started to have a look at the M20 again.
Managed to mount the rear Callipers, wired the rotor hat bolts.
The rear sway bar has also been fitted. Turned/milled some brackets and bushes, overall I’m pleased how the knife edge anti-roll bar system turned out. It can be modified to alter on the fly if needed further down the track.
I also got the engineers report for the roll hoop, so will draw up another application to MSNZ and get that underway.

So I should have this finished by Christmas... just unsure which one.
Andrew

Attachments

• 20210415_111444_resized.jpg
    20210415_111444_resized.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 341
  • 20210415_160222_resized.jpg
    20210415_160222_resized.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 353
  • 20210415_160253_resized.jpg
    20210415_160253_resized.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 365
  • 20210415_160037_resized_1.jpg
    20210415_160037_resized_1.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 356
Hi Andy, I'm at the same stage as you with MSNZ as far as roll bar sign off is concerned. I went the conventional rout and the only Hassel was where I tie onto the engine block as per original design but once they got their head around it that was fine. the only thing I have had to do is a dash hoop as they are saying it comes under the same rule as a single seater, has that been mentioned to you. I have now done that and just waiting for the main hoop to be tig'd up then its signed off and a COD, Log Book and Homologation will be issued. Next challenge is an HTP

Cheers Leon.

Hi Terry, Homologation in our case is just about the Roll bar structure, its MSNZs way of making sure the structures are built to a safe standard and is a requirement for all cars raced in a MSNZ sanctioned events. There are 2 options to go with 1) A free concept or 2) a design set by MSNZ if you go the Free Concept way you have to supply engineers reports, if you go option 2 it can be easier and cheaper but it also has its pit falls if its a little out of the box install such as mine. hope that clears it for you. An HTP is a whole other animal.

Cheers Leon

Building something that does not quite fit the box is always interesting with officialdom.
Going down the Alternative design route, I should now comply with MSNZ 'Schedule A' rules.
Re: front roll bar 'Schedule A' states:
(b) Specification for Sports Racing Cars;
(v) A Front rollbar is optional and may be incorporated as part of the vehicles frame forward of the steering wheel.
Leon. I can't see how a 2 seater Sports Racing car is a Single Seater racing car as 'Schedule A' states they are different.
This was mentioned during my last application.. we'll see how that pans out. Can add a front roll bar if required.
Terry.
A COD (Certificate of Description) is needed if you want to race in Historic racing, you need period correct engine and gearbox, and car. My LS based engine and a Sequential transaxle don't comply. I'm building my M20 to run in the NZ Sportscar racing 'Super Sport' class, just have to comply with 'Schedule A'.
HTP (Historic Technical Passport) One look at that form is enough to make your hair curl.

rules rules rules.

You are so right Andy re the dash hoop and believe me I tried not to have as it spoils the look for originality but they wouldn't budge so it will interesting how you get on. I think its the guy get and his interpretation that decides.

Re: The HTP, I have read right through the FIA forms and looked through their web site for guidance and its not as scary as it first seems. Its pretty much the same as the forms you have to fill out for MSNZ Log Book and COD just a lot more photos and detail required. You are right your engine and Trans would rule you out straight away but also I think the way you have made your wish bones and mounting of the suspension would not comply and its all about performance advantage so no 6 pot brakes no electronic anything this even includes gauges, I have all period correct gauges, fuel injection, Heads, engine block (does not have to be alloy) my front suspension is as per original design will have to change out my brake callipers and the other grey area is the trans, my interpretation is it can be a replica of a Hewland as long as it is a "H"pattern shifter and straight cut dog gears as per original. I haven't decided whether or not I want the stress but people I know say it could be worth it in the long game.

Cheers Leon

Back