MDA Mk1 with Gulf Arches - Martin P

Indeed it was Craig. Good to meet you at last.

I've painted my rear uprigts and installed the rear brakes. AP Racing 4 pots with Brembo independant handbrake calipers.
Also installed the Driveshafts on the hub end.
Also taken a box full of bits to the powder coaters, so it should start to look quite good soon.:)

Martin

Attachments

• AP Brakes Rear[640x480].JPG
    AP Brakes Rear[640x480].JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 586
  • Brakes On from Rear[640x480].JPG
    Brakes On from Rear[640x480].JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 621
  • Driveshafts in[640x480].JPG
    Driveshafts in[640x480].JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 558
Not yet. Supposed to be this week, but another delay. Now I'm travelling again on business so it'll have to wait till I return before I can organise delivery again. Should be soon though.

Martin

Just got back from the U.S today and managed to pick up some Megaphone tail pipes. Not sure when I'll ever use them but they look fun.
I also picked up my powder coated panels so was able to finish off the rear panel work.

Martin

Attachments

• DSCN3626 [640x480].JPG
    DSCN3626 [640x480].JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 517
  • DSCN3625 [640x480].JPG
    DSCN3625 [640x480].JPG
    61 KB · Views: 424
  • DSCN3623 [640x480].JPG
    DSCN3623 [640x480].JPG
    58 KB · Views: 432
Attached the front cross bar to the chassis using M8 bolts. Then I spent all afternoon fabricating a bracket to hold my front marker light. I'm very happy with it. Unfortunately I can't move the car into a good spot for photos at the moment as the back is in the air but I should get some better shots soon.

Martin

Attachments

• DSCN3632 [640x480].JPG
    DSCN3632 [640x480].JPG
    60 KB · Views: 344
  • DSCN3631 [640x480].JPG
    DSCN3631 [640x480].JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 327
  • DSCN3633 [640x480].JPG
    DSCN3633 [640x480].JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 371
  • DSCN3638 [640x480].JPG
    DSCN3638 [640x480].JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 412
Attached my top deflector plate which directs air into the rad and stops it escaping over the top.
I've also partly installed a mechanical fire system. Mounted the bottle anyway.

Martin

Attachments

• Air deflector.JPG
    Air deflector.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 403
  • Fire System.JPG
    Fire System.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 382
I've made up the side plates to complete the job of directing air into the radiator. The plates snug up to the front opening using a weather seal. They will eventually attach to the chassis but I've not drilled and tapped the holes yet. They attach via M4 bolts and lock nuts to the top plate. The left and right sides are slightly different as I've left enough space to fit a tow eye on the drivers side. All panels will eventually be black like the rest of the car.

Martin

Attachments

• DSCN3759 [640x480].JPG
    DSCN3759 [640x480].JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCN3758 [640x480].JPG
    DSCN3758 [640x480].JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 331
  • DSCN3756 [640x480].JPG
    DSCN3756 [640x480].JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 351
  • DSCN3754 [640x480].JPG
    DSCN3754 [640x480].JPG
    32 KB · Views: 346
  • DSCN3757 [640x480].JPG
    DSCN3757 [640x480].JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 318
Martin, very nice work on containing the radiator air flow. I may have missed it, but have you placed something to seal the bottom of the rad? I laid some ABS plactic on the "floor" of the frame in that area. Since the rad is at such an angle, I thought that incoming air might glance off the rad and flow under the car. I think this made the most difference of all the cooling mods I've done.

Thanks Mark for taking such an interest in my build. I did indeed tackle this area. My solution is on page 9 of this build log, about half way down. Before it's all finished, any small gaps will be filled by using self adhesive neopreme strips. It should be completely enclosed. The only mod I'll have to do retrospectively is to add grommets for where the air con hoses need to pass through. I just don't have the air con kit yet, so it'll have to wait.
Martin

Hi Martin, the build is going great!

For the aircon stuff i would recomend Nostalgic airparts (american company) as they do a GT40 specific kit, they are the cheapest i have managed to find the stuff for sale, however be careful when ordering as I initially placed an order via their website then rung up to change a particular part followed by an email to confirm the conversation and part change, tho when it came the old part was in there and they denied all knowledge of the phone call despite the fact they found the email, they would not send me the part and to top it off were extremely rude about it, seems i went off on one there.... however if you get the order right to begin with then they are pretty cheap!

Martin, read the post on the lower frontal area and again, great work. Never mind the weight-watchers, they will probably be overheating while you're riding cool as a cucumber.

Martin,
I assume you will be taking the marker light off when you go for the IVA test? Don't want some jobsworth pulling you up saying there is a potential for it coming on whilst driving. It looks red to me, and they would probably give an automatic fail.

Brett

Hi Brett,
Yes, it will be removed. There are lots of things that will change for the test. I'm building it with half an eye on the test and the other half focused on the way I want it in the end. I do want all the stuff on now though so I can see what I'm aiming for. It will take some time to re work parts of the car for the test, but hopefully i will have pre empted most things.
Martin

Malcolm

Supporter
Apparently if you go for a test and fail pre IVA coming in ie still on SVA rules, your retest is under SVA rules?

Martin,
Same goes for me, except my build will probably set a new record for duration...

Would like your opinion on something related to the new rules, and how you are planning to put a solution in.

14. Fuel tank filling points must not be located in the passenger compartment, luggage compartment or within an engine compartment.

Are you pannelling the filler necks off? If so, how?

Thanks

Brett

Brett,
Exactly right. I was intending to do just that. Fabricate an aluminium panel that completely seals off the filler neck. Not sure yet how to do it as I don't have my filler caps yet, so haven't taken a long hard look at it, but thats the plan. There are quite a few cables and such like that goes down that hole so I was intending to make some kind of gland to allow cables in. It's one of the new regs that got my attention too. I'll be sure to post pics of progress when I get round to it.
Martin

Here's the final assembly at the front for directing the air into the Rad.

Attachments

• DSCN3764 [640x480].JPG
    DSCN3764 [640x480].JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 539
Back