Michael's GT-R Build

Michael Hampson

Supporter
Hello there!

I was test fitting my axle shafts and came up with an issue. The Graziano flange has a 96mm bolt circle and the axle flange has a 94mm bolt circle. It almost fits but not quite. The wheel side fits fine (and is also a 94mm bolt circle). Has anyone else had this issue? I guess I'll go to The Drive Shaft Shop first and see if maybe they just stuck the wrong ends on or something.

Thanks
Michael

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Johan noted the same observation lately. He was fortunate to be able to switch to his other V8 Graziano. I think the issue is mainly with the KVJ V10 Graziano model. Please let me know what you discover Michael.

Last edited:

Michael Hampson

Supporter
Well, the folks at The Driveshaft Shop (Where RCR sources the axles) were really awesome. They provided adapter plates that match the CVs to the axle flange. With the adapter, the axles needed to be 5/8" shorter, and they are handling that as well. What great people! They sent me the adapters, and I sent them the axles. They to put them in their axle shortening machine, set the timer for 0.625 Inches, and will send them back after the timer goes off and they have had a chance to cool off. :) All of this for a very reasonable fee! Ask for Tad.

2020-04-09 18.01.04.jpg

Michael Hampson

Supporter
And I have been doing a little work here and there. Boy it sucks being quarantined so I have nothing to do but work on the car. Dang it.

Starting Electrical work. I wanted the fuse block that came with the Ford control pack wiring harness up under the dash, so a little wire stretching was in order.
2020-04-07 15.32.49.jpg

Starting installation of the InfinityBox modules:

2020-04-14 09.48.43.jpg

Got a gas strut for the hood. Went with 30 lb force, but probably needed only 15 lb. Went with McMaster-Carr #4138T58. I'll do the same on the rear, but a higher force.
2020-04-07 14.11.22.jpg

Michael Hampson

Supporter
Working on the rear clamshell hinges now. Almost ready to mount the clamshell on. I shimmed the hinges out quite a bit to ensure that there will be no interference between the back edge of the clamshell and the rear section. That means the hinge had to come UP and BACK about 3/8 inch. I imagine H did this on purpose to ensure that it will work with any customer's body fitment. I am happy with the location now, and my fingers are crossed that I didn't miss anything alignment-wise when I mount it after the glass cures. I need to find some ideas for bear claw latches for the front. I have been perusing Amazon and such, but just haven't found what I am comfortable will work.

2020-04-12 19.52.45.jpg
2020-04-14 18.28.33.jpg

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Well, the folks at The Driveshaft Shop (Where RCR sources the axles) were really awesome. They provided adapter plates that match the CVs to the axle flange. With the adapter, the axles needed to be 5/8" shorter, and they are handling that as well. What great people! They sent me the adapters, and I sent them the axles. They to put them in their axle shortening machine, set the timer for 0.625 Inches, and will send them back after the timer goes off and they have had a chance to cool off. :) All of this for a very reasonable fee! Ask for Tad.

View attachment 105718
Did you get a part number for the V10 graziano adapters? I’m in the same boat.

Michael Hampson

Supporter
Here's what the invoice said:

Part number: FDPL-3, Description: 108mm c.v. conversion plate .630 thick
4.460 od with a 3.75 center of the bolts across the 6
bolt CV pattern

Nice job, I know getting the hinge just right is a lot of work. I'd suggest adding more support like the one you added between the hinge plates. Especially if you are going to use a glass window and gas struts. Go along the bottom of the window area, from the support you have now up to the window on both sides and from the hinge mount to the wheel wells.

I started to play with the clam shell a little and my only problem is getting the side panels of the main shell to align with the clam shell slightly off anyone else have the same issue

Michael Hampson

Supporter
HI Allan! Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing. I do plan to add a support bar to the rear of the window. I also will be adding the fiberglass wheel wells from H Craft, and that stiffens things up a lot.

Michael

Michael Hampson

Supporter
I feel like my car is the '57 Plymouth Fury from "Christine". Various unrelated parts would get fixed in a seemingly random order. I seem to flit about working on whatever suits my fancy at the time, but hopefully working towards a goal that won't require too much backtracking.

I added a new brace to the rear clamshell that increased stiffness a TON. Used a 1/8 wall C channel bent to match the curve.

2020-04-26 09.36.01.jpg

Unfortunately, the left suspension upright interferes with the upper wheel well I bonded onto the clamshell. :mad: I should have measured first. I first thought I could cut a recess into the wheel well to clear (you can see a bit of it on the left of the above pic) but that didn't work. So I had to cut the whole thing out and move it a half inch out.

Back