Mid-engine vette?

..." Although it'll bear the Corvette name, the hypothetical mid-engine C8 will be radically different from the car it replaces. "
Go Back GT40s.com > GT40 Replica Manufacturers' Corner Reload this Page RCR Forum - RCR40/SLC/917/Superlite Aero

<article itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/NewsArticle" class="articlecontent loaded" data-aop="article"> <section class="articlebody" itemprop="articleBody" data-aop="articlebody">
The Performance Will Be Even Better
AAhR2kk.img
Provided by Road and Track
The only reason the Corvette would switch to a mid-engined layout is for performance. Engineers at GM understand that there is a limit to how much power a front-engine supercar can put down, and how much cornering grip it can achieve. Although the current Corvette Z06 is a fantastic sports car, it's inherently held back by its front-mid-engine layout. With the engine in the middle, the car's weight distribution can be optimized, with turn-in and corner holding capabilities benefitting as a result.
The mid-engine Corvette has long seemed like a fantasy, a daydream promoted by automotive journalists, Corvette loyalists, and those who want to see an American automaker finally build a direct competitor to the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini. Recent evidence suggests that this wish could finally come true. While we're hesitant to call it a sure thing, we think there's a strong likelihood it could happen. And we can't wait to get our hands on it.

AAhRg6e.img

AAhR2kk.img

</section> </article>

Saw an article said,, yes,, it's happening (Mark Reuss want's it).

Will be out in 2019,,,

Makes me a bit sad, makes the SLC a little less special. Mid-Engine screams exotic or at the very least different (excludes MR2 & Fiero),

You don't see big mid-engine cars very often,, to know that you'll see a couple everyday makes it less special. Granted it will hopefully lower the price of transaxles, (nice V8 torquey/low geared option),, but will people start looking at your SLC and say,, ,oh,, is that the new Corvette:disappointed:

I'm hoping they keep the existing layout for the Stingray, GS, and Z06, and just release the mid-engine as ZR1 and to compete with Ford and Ferrari in GT racing. It'd give them the low numbers halo car they don't currently have. Also it'd let them catch up to what Ford has done with the mostly purpose-built GT race car.

I kind of cringed as well when I saw this was coming to fruition a while back. It will no doubt be a lot of bang of the $ when it comes to a world class mid engine car.

My money is on this mid engine design replacing the base vette/C7 sooner rather later, I'd be very surprised if the C7 stays alive all the way to 2021. The first couple of years of this C8 will likely be a special addition, but they aren't retooling and coming out with this new design just to sell a few special addition cars.

Let's be honest, the fit, finish, advancement, and overall quality will be in a different league than our cars. I'm hopeful they will use lots of CF and aluminum to keep the weight down, yet keep the price out of the stratosphere. AWD would be awesome if they were to offer that. Compared to our cars these things will no doubt be portly, but they should be one hell of a platform given the extensive factory engineering and after market support these things will no doubt have.

These artist renderings look really good. I'm not 100% in love with the appearance of the C7 so hopefully GM takes/took some styling cues from some of the better artist renderings that have been floating around.

I sincerely hope that they're not that intellectually challenged. I do like the 911 shape, and I know that the Engineering is superb, but I couldn't bring myself to buy a car with the engine in such a daft place.

My classic car fix is provided by a 928GTS, a car designed to fit above the 911 in Porsche's range, but never got accepted by those that enjoy going backwards through hedges!

LOL
Love it! Agreed.

I had a 928 as well. Fat BBS wheels, sticky Goodyears, lowered, corner grip for days. I remember my GF at the time (who was an avid sports car nut) asking me to slow down as I chased somebody down over hwy 29 - she was about to offer up a less attractive version of our lunch. :evilgrin:

Loved that car...except for the goofy pop-ups.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fran's cars are not test mules for chevrolet in all this. I'm curious if we can find out if any transaxle provider is gearing up any production that we can get some additional information on. kind of like how people figure out what the iphone looks like before it's out searching the manufacturing process.

Jame's there's nothing ordinary about an SLC.
anyone can own a production car just takes money you go to a store and buy one.
when the new vet's come out every one will know what there are, just pull up be side it with your SL-C and you'll steal the show if you've built it right :)

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
If this is what they are building just past a big GM logo on the hood and call it a flop. What a bore! I think the new FGT design lacks in originality but this would pale in comparison.

AAhRg6e.img

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
If this is what they are building just past a big GM logo on the hood and call it a flop. What a bore! I think the new FGT design lacks in originality but this would pale in comparison.

AAhRg6e.img

Looks-wise, commissioning a GT-R build would be far preferable to ordering one of these^^^.

'Hope the rendering is 'off' by at least 300 nautical miles...

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I think Larry the world is waiting for you to commission a contract for the purchase of an automobile... any automobile :lol:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I think Larry the world is waiting for you to commission a contract for the purchase of an automobile... any automobile :lol:

'Just did that 2.5 hours ago as a matter of fact.

2017 F-150. (What a cat fight that was. Factories just r-e-f-u-s-e to build any car/truck the way one WANTS it equipped/built.)

Apology accepted.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Why a pickup? Those are for work.

Why?

...because a twenty-something dame doing 30-or-so-mph Southbound on a residential side street driving on a suspended license - and w/o insurance (what's NEW?) - decided it would be NO PROBLEMO for her to blow through a stop sign at that speed and somehow mystically & magically 'thread the needle' between multiple lanes of virtually bumper-to-bumper East and Westbound traffic on a busy arterial and make it across.

Well, she didn't make it. Nor did I. My 'mint' little 2001 S-10 'DD' truck drew the short straw and was totaled. 'Had 55K-or-so one-owner (me) miles on it. :veryangry:

This is the SECOND TIME we've had a car totaled by a clown driving w/o insurance who decided to blow thru a stop light or stop sign.

I'm getting a bit tired of it...

"Engineers at GM understand that there is a limit to how much power a front-engine supercar can put down ..."

What? I doubt an engineer said this. And the weight distribution comment is nonsense.

Nonsensical journalist comments aside. I am looking forward to the car. It won't really be a vette in my eyes, but could be a really awesome car.

The rendering above looks like a neutered NSX. It's hideous. And the SLC takes away any attention from Lambos, Ferraris, 911s, whatever... I've seen it first hand at SEMA a couple different years, including the year that I was the spokesman for RCR (thanks Fran!). It's a true head turner.

The SLC looks so much better in person than pictures - maybe the vette will also....

The real question for me is - what will they do to the tail end?

Back