Midnite Auto Supply

Gent's,

I had a call from my wife yesterday after work. She work's in the downtown core and park's in a parking garage for the goverment building she works in. She started her van and it was loud as hell. So I get a call to check it out. It appears the catalytic converter was removed with a battery powered sawsall. We report it to the parking security and it appears her's was the fourth one that day. We take it to Speedy and they check to see if any are available, on back order 3-4 days wait. The local GM dealer appears to have lost 30 converters off of cars on the lot in one night. The word is that they get around $180.00 for the larger converter for the precious metals(platinum). Just thought I would let you know because if it's happening here, it will be going on in other places.
Dave

David,

That's a well-known theft problem in Texas. Now, I believe metal recyclers in our area take photos of individuals that turn in items for recycling. They just caught two turning in a bronze sculpture stolen from a library in Dallas.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Unfortunately the metal thieves are everywhere...

I like the idea of the recycling yards taking pictures of the people bringing in the scrap! :)

We as well have had the problem of people stealing Cat Convertors from cars in parking lots.. As I recall in one night they stole over 100 from the long term parking lot out by the Minneapolis airport and the Security people knew nothing of it!

What's worse though is the copper thieves..

They break into buildings (mostly unoccupied) and strip out the copper plumbing and gas lines after they get all the copper wiring they can...
What makes this worse is that they take all the copper and brass fittings and allow the natural gas (for heating and cooking) fill the building.. Many have exploded. Some have taken lives and severely injured others..

Some of the thieves are exceptionally brazen.

One such pair of thieves broke into a cable television yard and stole a 40' flatbed trailer with it's tractor still attached and drove the whole nine yards to the re-cycler.. The Re-cycler thought something was fishy and signaled someone to call the police. The Re-Cycler kept the thieves busy with his ciphering on the value of the lot. The police arrived and took the thieves into custody.
The really funny part of this whole story is that the thieves had stolen a truckload of "Fiber-Optic" Cable!

Gent's,
I was running around to get a price on a replacement. Best I could do was $451.00 + $80.00 core fee + taxes. This is for 04 Montana with my GM discount. When they cut it off they did not leave enough so I could bolt an aftermarket which is around $100.00 that you have to weld into place. We have emission testing here every two years and that is one reason I decided to go with the factory bolt on. At least they left the O2 sensor. Look's like I am going to drive her into work after this. We can't afford to pay for parking and repair, it will happen again because the security guard sits in his office and watches TV. The insurance deductable I have is $500 and once a claim is made the rates will start going up next time. Not worth it to make a claim. I will have Speedy bolt on the new one.
Dave

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
So here's a question worthy of this audience. What could one do to one's exhaust system that would frustrate a battery-equipped sawzall user enough to cause him to move on to the next car.

For example, what metallurgy rod running along the exhaust system either side of the cat would slow down or better yet ruin the blade?

Alan,
City run garage, waste of time dealing with City Hall. Wife is going to file a Police Report though. I live in the highest taxed area in the GTA(Greater Toronto Area)Durham Region. Bunch of idiots running it.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
There's been a lot of metal thieves in Austin, especially when the housing boom was going on a couple years ago. They were stealing the copper wiring out of new homes under construction. They'd just walk in at night and yank it all out. The home builders would have about 20+ homes under construction at one time in each neighborhood. There were hundreds of new neighborhoods going up all over Austin. The thieves would make a killing.

Back