MKI OR MKII?

I’m sure that this has been debated to death but I can’t seem to find any threads on it.

At first I was going to build an MKI. That’s what got me excited about building a GT40. Then when I got really into it, I started to favor the MKII for its aggressive stance and large rear width.

I’m building an Active Power Car with a Coyote engine. I have the center section and 17” wheels over 13” C5 Corvette calipers on the chassis. I thought that the MKII would best fit this configuration.

But now I’m vacillating again on which body style to look for.

So if you have time and want to share your thoughts, please let me know what body style you have and what made you decide to go with that style.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 7343D153-725E-4B00-8DFB-08096A14D4E6.jpeg
    7343D153-725E-4B00-8DFB-08096A14D4E6.jpeg
    480.9 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
For me -
I wanted the look and shape that introduced the term “SuperCar” to the world.
Kicked Ferrari’s ass at Lemans and became the iconic figure that will be remembered for all time in the automotive world.
Taking nothing away from the other Marks, which are also beautiful creations, the Mk1 is the one that melts my butter...

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Mk 1 with a 289 small block and 48 ida's.... what is the chassis? and will a Mk 2 rear clip fit it?

Mk 1 with a 289 small block and 48 ida's.... what is the chassis? and will a Mk 2 rear clip fit it?
It’s an Active Power chassis designed for a Coyote and a corvette suspension.

I like original also, but I really wanted modern performance and computer inter connectivity. It will have a Porsche 911 transaxle so I’m miles away from original. I “believe” either style will fit the chassis.

I’m interested more in what everyone else has and why they choose that particular style?

Brian Stewart
Supporter
I've gone for a MKII rear and MKI front simply because I don't particularly like the look of the humped front fenders on most MKIIs.

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
I went with the MK I (both times) because I do not care for the larges scoops on the MK II rear deck.

It’s funny, I’ve been thinking MKII this entire time, it’s just today that I’m thinking about going back to MKI. Strange how things can change.

I have a MKII for some 12 years now. At one point I thought about buying MKI front and rear clips and playing around with them. Then I realized, I really get my thrills when driving the car...more so than looking at it. Although it is nice to look at. I don't think you can "go wrong" either way.

Building a KVA MK2A. MK2A did kick Ferrari's ass, where the previous MK1 failed..... ;)
For those who don't like the deck scoops, MK2B didn't have those.

My body kit is believed to be GTforte's kit so a MK1 front clip and a MK2 rear clip.

I must admit, I realy start to like the long tail MK3 by its classic apereance more and more.
In Europe, all you see on car shows are MK1's or wide body MK1's. By coincidence I saw a few MK3's that made the difference in England.
MK2 is realy rare to see.

Score Card:
MK-II 1 Le Mans win
MK-IV 1 Le Mans win
JWA-Gulf MK-I 2 Le Mans wins

regards,
jim p
The Gulf MK1 came two years after the MK2.
Gulf Mk1 = Wide body, bigger tires & bigger engine compared to the original '64-65 spec MK1.
Basicly we are talking about a MK1 facelift

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Wanted a MK ll, also wanted a 1075 Gulf. Living in Canada also a problem re import laws. Ended up with a MK l Gulf. 1075 car. ask this, do you want to build a replica or build your self one hell of a nice car that you like?

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
I'll go with build one hell of a nice car that I like that, from the exterior, looks very similar to a original GT40 when it is going +100mph. :)

Building a KVA MK2A. MK2A did kick Ferrari's ass, where the previous MK1 failed..... ;)
For those who don't like the deck scoops, MK2B didn't have those.

My body kit is believed to be GTforte's kit so a MK1 front clip and a MK2 rear clip.

I must admit, I realy start to like the long tail MK3 by its classic apereance more and more.
In Europe, all you see on car shows are MK1's or wide body MK1's. By coincidence I saw a few MK3's that made the difference in England.
MK2 is realy rare to see.
I never heard of MK2A and MK2B?

Are the only differences the rear deck scoops?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Where does one buy a MK3 kit?

Cheers!!

Doug

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I keep trying to like the MKII...but every time I see a MKI next to a MKII I realize why I like the MKI so much. Those large scoops on the sides really "destroy" the smooth, attractive curvature of the rear end as seen on the MKI GT40s.

I'm beginning to like the new Ford GT, also...but it took a while!

Cheers from Doug!

MK2B 1967 spec. No Periscope vents and even no vents at all on top of the decklit.
Differend dashboard and some had a spare wheel.
MK2B had differend striping

View attachment 95112

View attachment 95113

View attachment 95116
View attachment 95114

View attachment 95115
Oh, I get it. I’ve seen the different paint and stripe schemes and never noticed that the different schemes denoted different models.

Is the rear duct work the ONLY body differences?

Also, are there any internal differences between the MKIIA vs the MKIIB?

This is interesting!

Back