Moving to the UK

I'm looking at investing in a business in the UK that'd require me to move there - long term.

What I'm looking for is anyone with info on all aspects of this shift to properly make my mind up. Things like Working Visas and options, settlement visas (if available for foreign investors, etc).

I visit the UK regularly, so know what I'm in for. I'd be based around the Oxfordshire / Northamptonshire area. Any informatin or advise would be appreciated.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Options on Visas and working here are maybe best sorted by the B.H.C. in Canberra Business
They may have an office in your area so you can 1-to-1 with someone in their staff.

Maybe the nearest is

British Consulate
Level 26, Allendale Square
77 St George's Terrace
Perth, WA, 6000
Phone: (08) 9224 4701

Good luck.
Dave

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Troy

A few years ago I was involved in "importing" a staff member.

Certainly they made us jump through hoops.
Biggest thing they put in our way was that we had to advertise nationally for the position and if a suitable local candidate came up we would not be able to import the staff member.

We advertised on Reed personell - web site based system and had an amazing number of replies (not lease those from Nigeria offering us cash to let them come and work for us!) Being very specific on incumbant requirements means the interviewer can discount other staff

That said this placement was only for a staff member not someone investing in the business

After jumping through the hoops and appointing the external candidate we used an immigration lawyer to do the necessary and get work permit visa etc. Once here you will have to jump through more hoops to get your National Insurance number (illeagle to work without one) and this cannot be done by anyone else has to be in person and their system sucked back then.

Unless you already have a UK bank account this will likewise be a problem (They will treat you like a terrorist wanting tolaunder money)- need to prove residence and address - but you cannot rent without a bank account so ever decreasing circles here! Try and speak with your bank down under to make the introduction to a locak bank in the UK (HSBC did this for another person I know and made this bit a lot simpler)

IAn

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,
No probs on bank accounts - we just did one for Crimorg http://www.crimorg.com based in Paris - now they have a current a/c with HSBC in Marlow. Apparently far superior to a French bank in that everything is done instantly and no problem.

Thanks for the input Dave and Ian. The HSBC account will be no problems, and will in fact play a major part in the investment! I also have a trump card up my sleeve, in that my wife (originally from Kent, but been here losing her accent for 16 years!) still holds a current British passport.

I spent a couple of hours on hold with both Canberra and local Perth offices of the British consulate today. Perseverance is the key! It is really this information regarding the rules and regulations relating specifically to foreign ownership of businesses that I need advise on.

It's funny, 99% of info on the net is about moving in the opposite direction. They even have websites dedicated to it, explaining everything from suggested locations to work and live, to how to fly LM Mercedes and Formula 1 cars! :)

Troy, if you can get an EU passport, maybe through your family, you will not have any problems. Its far easier than getting a visa.

I had a green card visa for my US passport, but got Italian citizenship 10 years ago (that took 15 months) but now I have the right to live anywhere around Europe.

Back