name the aeroplane part 2

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Sorry Dave, a bit later than that I think. It used a free turbine engine made in the west country (of the UK).

Last edited:
How about HS-478 the instruments look dated late 60's early 70's and it's a twin and it's British. I was originaly thinking early Shorts Skyvan but the yolk's throwing me off.
Dave

Keith

PA190038.JPG

That's one heck of a strange looking cockpit and I've only ever been in a DC10 cockpit over the Grand Canyon and one other over in the Isle of Wight (hint hint). Are you sure it's actually an 'aeroplane' in the true sense David?

Cheeky... :)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
It's not considered and 'aircraft' in the true sense of the word and the word 'aeroplane' does not really embrace it either so I am guilty of lacking in candor, giving a false appearance of simple frankness ...being disingenuous.
To win the chocolate nose, you still need to say what it is......

Keith

It's not considered and 'aircraft' in the true sense of the word and the word 'aeroplane' does not really embrace it either so I am guilty of lacking in candor, giving a false appearance of simple frankness ...being disingenuous.
To win the chocolate nose, you still need to say what it is......

Could it be......

Swift?

And Fast? :laugh:

SRN er, 2 or 3 (ish)?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
It certainly is the SRN4 cockpit , and I travelled in this actual cockpit on many occasions. A three man crew up top and the third man (Nav) sat in a darkened curtained off area steering the whole thing on a radar display.
Four Proteus engines.
Oh well - that didn't last very long so tomorrow I'll try and get something so obscure I wont even know what it is.

Keith

But I still get the chocolate Dad doan I doan I???:veryangry:

I don't believe many on here have 'flown' hovers, but 40 years ago I ran a club in the Bois de Bolougne called Martines (at the Pavilion Royale) and commuted 3 times a week by Hover, plus they were developed around here wher I are - 'Mad Dog Cockerill' was always cutting up the sailing fleets in the Solent!

There's still a daily service from Clarence Pier to Ryde IOW and I believe it's the only regular service left in the UK, possibly the world.

It is one of the most bizarre forms of travel ever invented and in a short slop of about 2-3 metres makes more people seasick than any regular boat I know, as it tends to slam into the wave almost stop and then lurch forward like a plane in turbulence.

A bit like the much vaunted broad beam wave piercer cat design when travelling fast in a beam sea, when the boat will tend to slide sideways into a trough and then corkscrew it's way upright again. A most unusual (and unsettling) motion.

Best form of fast sea transport is the Norwegian 'Surface Reaction Vessel' a clever combination of hover and cat. On smooth water she will 'drop her skirt' and hover, whilst at sea she works just like any other narrow beam fast cat and can negogiate quite steep troughs.

Now THAT's what I call thread drift!

(I still think it's SRN3 as they have one in the Hover Museum in Cowes - and Im sure I've seen it there - but you are the expert Dave.)

ahaha..david I could NEVER win to u in this battle, u are definitely too skilled after a life over planes :)

Could only help this way:

709 kmts/h over the water... world rekord for many many years, think beated only recently.

:D I was thinking for 3 days....have to find something HARD for david!!..something really hard to recognize! LOL

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Indeed - the MC72?

The fastest piston seaplane ever. I think there maybe a small scale model in the Malpensa terminal 1.

Last edited:
Back